Hughesnet Community

Regular service disruption for an hour every evening with no help from HughesNet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lif Strand

Regular service disruption for an hour every evening with no help from HughesNet

I am experiencing periodic outages in the evening, always between (approximately) 8:00 and 9:00. This happens with three different computers and three different operating systems (WinXP, Windows 7, Chrome OS).  I have filed two email requests for help (and tried to start a service chat but it just went to email) and gotten useless form-type instructions back, which told me to restart my modem (I don't need to - it's rebooting itself constantly on top of my manually unplugging it and replugging it).  I called HughesNet and the customer support person told me to call the toll free help number while the problem was happening (when I did I got a recording saying that Hughesnet was having technical problems and I should restart my modem).

Does anyone have any idea what my next step should be?
60 REPLIES 60
Lif Strand

I never noticed that tiny little icon on that page that gets you to Advanced Configuration!  

The time stamp on that page is SUN MAR 27 02:33:32 2016, my computer's time 8:34.   

Here is the reset history log that is displayed.  I don't have a clue what this means about what's going on but you might find it meaningful..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Time                        Type           Last POST   Reason ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ SAT MAR 26 22:44:51 2016    Hard Reboot    Failure     Power Cycle (208 min) SAT MAR 26 03:33:01 2016    Hard Reboot    Failure     Power Cycle (621 min) SAT MAR 26 02:52:28 2016    Soft Reboot    Pass        UP Down (0 min) SAT MAR 26 02:47:46 2016    Soft Reboot    Pass        UP Down (0 min) SAT MAR 26 02:42:34 2016    Soft Reboot    Pass        UP Down (0 min) SAT MAR 26 02:37:33 2016    Soft Reboot    Pass        UP Down (0 min) SAT MAR 26 00:10:03 2016    Hard Reboot    Failure     Power Cycle (100 min) FRI MAR 25 02:35:32 2016    Soft Reboot    Pass        UP Down (694 min) FRI MAR 25 02:31:13 2016    Soft Reboot    Pass        UP Down (0 min) FRI MAR 25 02:26:46 2016    Soft Reboot    Pass        UP Down (0 min) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Last POST (Power on Self Test most likely) being "Failure" could mean flaky modem... Not really sure...  Could also mean that the modem is losing power during it's POST... Potentially from a bad inverter... Have you checked your solar inverters to ensure they are still outputting at an absolute minimum of a 60Hz Stepped Approximation SineWave or True SineWave at ~115v?
Robin S

Just so you all know hinky things can happen with the modems. Mine would fail every weekend in the afternoon. That went on for a while and none of the tests that CS did seemed to stop it. After about a month, it failed completely.

It never seemed to have any issues during the week, just the weekends.
Lif Strand

C0RR0SIVE,I haven't checked the inverter but it is only a few months old - it better not be the problem!  Does an inverter have an internal clock, so that it will only fluctuate its output at a certain time?  

Robin S I sure hope my modem isn't the problem.  It was just installed last September! It's worrisome that you had a similar problem before yours failed completely, however it seems to me that if the problem was on my end, Hughes wouldn't have that engineering issue recording when I call the help number.  
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The recording could be due to an issue totally unrelated to what you are experiencing.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

It seems that when Spacway3 suffered a major flop several month ago they had recordings but that was system wide.

I suppose that with caller ID call from a certain area may be routed to the recording.

Lif Strand

BirdDog - you are correct.  The recording could be due to an issue unrelated to mine.  However, that would mean that calling the help number is useless for my problem.  The emails I've sent have all gotten auto-reply responses and have been useless.  This forum is the only place anyone connected with Hughes has bothered to address MY issue.  
Lif Strand

Gwalk900 When I call the automated system does recognize my account from the phone number I'm calling from.  Soon as I say I want technical support the automated recording comes on, whether it's while my problem is happening or not. This recording is all that phone "help" has provided me with for weeks.  That's all I know about that.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

And that is exactly why this place is the best place to come for help.  🙂
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Lif,

The difference here in the Community is that the Forum Mods are at the corporate level of the Germantown MD headquarters.

The downside to that is they work ... 9 to 5 eastern or thereabouts.

The upside is that they have all the resources of Hughes at their fingertips and have much greater knowledge and much greater latitude when dealing with issues.

Other "regulars" here are customers like yourself but have a wide range of electronics/computer experience as well as being a long term Hughes users, 12 years in my case.

KarenKlomparens
New Poster

Brother in law just bought one for a cabin, about 2K for an apartment sized fridge.  We junked an old last year, didn't check to see if it still worked.
KarenKlomparens
New Poster

I had my service go down 2-3 nights ago, called CS# to see if it was a wide spread problem, got the same message once I asked for tech support.  Wasn't down too long, waited a few minutes and did a reboot.  H9000 in west MI.
Lif Strand

Karen Klomparens:  That's alarming, that you'd have the same thing happen.  I hope tomorrow maybe there will be some response from Hughes about the situation.
Amanda

Hi Lif

I looked at your diagnostics again and it seems constant signal loss seems to be an issue.. I cant say for sure it is THE issue, or why it occurs at the same time every day. I think the first course of action is to get a technician out there with new equipment and rule out any of the Hughes hardware first, so we know we're working with a fresh set of circuits. What days and times are the best for us to send someone out? 

Thanks
Amanda
Lif Strand

Unfortunately the tech available for me has to come from Phoenix, which is a 3 1/2 hour drive one way.  He has to spend an overnight if he comes this far, so he needs to schedule other calls.  I'm fairly flexible about time and day so it's really more about his availability than mine.
Lif Strand

If the modem is one component that would be replaced, seems to me shipping one to me so I can plug it in myself would be a more efficient way to go.  However if it's the dish and associated equipment that, of course, would be a different thing.
Amanda

Hi Lif

I've made the order and left the date blank so that they can get in contact with you and discuss over the phone.

I want them to replace everything except the dish and the pole its on, so its best to have the tech out there to do it all in one swoop.

Upon inspecting the installation photos, it looks like there is a lot of cable run from the dish. How far is the Hughes dish from your house? How much coaxial cable would you say was used? 

I will be asking someone here at the office, but does anyone agree/disagree about the solar panel's pole mount being the grounding point? Not sure what to make of that...

Amanda
Lif Strand

I don't know how much "a lot" of cable run is, but the dish is right next to the house and although the cable can't go in a straight line from the dish to the modem I'm guessing the total cable run is at most 40 ft., probably less (should I measure it?)  I know my friend who's also got Hughes has her modem much farther from her dish than that and her system works just fine.  

Not sure what you mean about the solar panel's pole mount being the grounding point.  My PV (solar) system's setup has got a long (I don't know how many feet) copper rod pounded into the ground.  That ground is hooked into the PV system and therefore only indirectly to the Hughes dish, and the Hughes pole and dish are about 35 feet apart.  Though what that would have to do with outages happening at the same time of day I don't know!
Amanda

Thats good - from the images we have it looks like there might have been too much (typically I prefer it to not exceed 75 feet if it doesn't absolutely need to)

From the images we have, the grounding block for the satellite dish is mounted to the pole for your solar panel. I am not sure if this is effective or not.

Amanda