Remote Desktop Connection error with HT2000W

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cindysalyer
Freshman

Remote Desktop Connection error with HT2000W

We are having alot of trouble maintaining our connection to Remote Desktop server that my husband and I use for work.  We both get kicked off the server multiple times per day - I'm talking 20-30 times - whenever we are connected to the server.  This started happening to us when we upgraded our service to Gen5 with the HT2000W modem/router combo unit.  I googled the issue and tried all the "fixes" recommended (which for me as a nontechie is a pretty good acheivement) but NOTHING has worked.  I have spoken with the IT person that controls the server connection and he basically went through all the fixes I had already tried from the info I found online.  The owner of the company I work for says its my network card that is causing the issue not the server.  Since the problem started when we upgraded our service to Gen5 it has to be the HT2000W modem/router since nothing else has changed.

The error we are getting every time we get kicked off the server is "Because of a error in data encryption, this session must end.  Please try connecting to the remote computer again." 

We are using Remote Desktop Connection to access Windows Servier 2007R2 Standard.

PLEASE HELP!  Any insight would be appreciated! 

140 REPLIES 140

Good morning folks, 

The roll out process is back on track. I'll keep you posted on any other news on this as I get it. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thanks Liz, seems to be working for me. I have not been using it for more than 30 minutes but no disconnects so far.

Glad to hear it WhoIamI!

To all, the latest code has been rolled out everywhere now so this should be addressed. Thank you again for your patience while engineering worked to resolution.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi radiotrack1,

Thanks for your feedback. Not sure what's going on there with TeamViewer, as it's different from RDC, but I've sent your SAN over to engineering for them to investigate. I'll reach out once I have any news to share. 

gerriorr
New Poster

I am in the exact same boat. Dish Network was slow, but at least I did not have any encryption errors. I would love to see a solution, or I will have to drop the service.

TR
New Poster

I've been having the same issue since "upgrading" as well.  Today in my search efforts I discoved something that is working for me so far!!  Give it a try.....

From Remote Desktop before connecting to the host computer click on Options, Experience tab, in the drop down select satellite, mine automatically defaulted to the following check's applied Desktop Composition and Visual Styles, I left them as is.  There are also 2 boxes at the very bottom that I left checked (Persistent bitmap and Reconnect if dropped). Then connect.  I was being dropped every 30 seconds before applying this change then it ran perfectly after that for the remaining hour session.  Good luck!!

How do I get to the Options, Experience tab, etc ..on a Windows 8.1?

My remote desktop is a tile on my desltop that I click on and it goes right to the electronic medical records I use.

I have called Huges net tech support and he could not help me beuase he has a Windows 7?

He said I need to call Home tech support tomorrow during  normal business hours. And that it may cost me!!

Click the Windows (Start) button.  Start typing REMOTE DESKTOP.  On my machine "Remote Desktop Connection" is found after I type "RE".

Click the "Remote Desktop Connection" Icon, and the Remote Desktop Connection program will launch.  It may have the name of the last machine you connected to in the "Computer" field.

Click the "Show Options" button in the lower left corner.

You should now see the General, Display, Local Resources, Experience and Advanced Tabs.

Note: One of the 1st things I tried was to set the "connection speed" on the Experience Tab to "Satellite".  I got better results setting it to "Modem (56kbps)".   Now I only get shut down due to data encryption errors about 10 times in a 9 hour day.

Good luck!

Hi folks,

Thank you all for your patience, engineering has this on their list, it will still be a while before we can get any useful updates. Once I have any news to share, I'll post back.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If it is the gen 5 modem not having the correct chip to connect and STAY connected to REMOTE DESKTOP- then the owners with the $ need to fix it. Because I am one customer leaving. Everything else w the gen 5 was good.

Hey

thx for instructions. I googled how to do it. I was kicked off less, but still occurred appx

5 x in 3 hours. I will try  selecting the ' modem 56 Kbps' next time.

you are more knowledgeable than the techs- they cannot help beyond the basic steps. I quit calling. When my area gets 903-broadband I am telling Hughes net to shove it.

I tried making these changes and still having the same issue even when running with the 2G connection on my 5G box.  This is causing loads of problems.  Calling Support is a completely futile and frustrating exercise. You are going to start losing customers.

Sunday we had  a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE day with our service.  We logged on to work (thru remote desktop connection) and immediately started having problems.  Just for curiousity sake I took down the times we got disconnected from the server we work on.  During a 25 minute period (4:45pm to 5:10pm), we got disconnected 37 times.  This happened ALL DAY - starting at 2pm until we gave up at 9:30pm.  I ran a speed test and we were only got 0.77mbps.  At 7:30pm - frustrated to no end - I called support.  I was on the phone for 2 hours - even with all other devices disconnected from wifi and ONLY my computer hard connected to the modem the speed only went up to 1.3mbps.  Tech support could not explain why this was happening and told me they were escalating my case to the engineers and we would receive a call back in 2-3 days.  I checked the speed again before going to bed at midnight and it was only 2.7mbps.  Today (Monday) at 6:45pm I tested the speed thru my desktop hard connected to the modem (and our iPhones on wifi) and the speed was 1.4mbps - immediatedly reran the test speed and it shot up to 31.96mbps (these are download speeds - upload speeds have been fine). 

I am going to wait another day for a call back but I am not hopefull considering this is the 2nd time I have been told my case has been escalated to the "engineers" as I have not heard one peep of a explanation as to why this is happening. 

THIS IS NOT THE SERVICE I AM PAYING FOR.  I know the speeds are quoted as "up to 25mbps" but there is absolutely NO reason for it to slow down to 0.77 or even 2.7!  Those speeds are even lower than GEN4 and whats funny is with GEN4 we never had them that slow! 

My determination is that we are getting disconnected from the server we work on because of the lack of sufficent speed to maintain that connection.  I suggest that HughesNet fix the issue or start preparing for some serious backlash and a major loss of business.  Sadly, I had nothing but good things to say about our service when we first upgraded to GEN5 and even recommended a few people to try it.  Now I would not recommend it to ANYONE and especially not anyone that uses it for working at home remotely.   I am extremely disappointed. 

Have you tried PO pilot suggestions?

It has helped my Windows 8.1 stay connected to RDD for longer amounts of time

eranch
Freshman

@Liz I am having this same problem. No problems until I upgraded to Gen 5 in August. Support is absolutely no help. They don't seem to know that this problem exists. Terrible. Please add me to the escalation ticket you have ongoing with your engineers. Just as many have stated, I use remote desktop for work every single day. If I had another internet option, I would be gone. HughesNet should be crediting us something on our bills until this issue is resolved.

RandomPerson123
Spectator

Put me on the list too. I get the same exact error.  I also work from home.  Luckily I do most of work from my local workstation.  So I program locally, making new versions of applications, then quite often I need to deploy the updates to a customer.   Almost everyday, I connect to various RDPs all over the world, but just as needed for shorter periods of time (5-30 minutes). 

1. It happens in bursts.  By that I mean that I might not get the error at all for several hours.  Then I might get the errror continously every 30 seconds or less.

2. I use multiple workstations.  Makes no difference.

3. Some customer systems I connect to are extreamly prone to this behavior, while with other customers, it is rare.  I encourage the other posters here to try to RDP onto different machines that are on totally different networks than the machine you are experiencing issues with.

4. The errror seems to only happen to me when I am actively interacting with the rdp session.  I mean moving the mouse, typing and clicking on things.  If I just leave the rdp session open, leave and come back several hours later, the session is still active.  Then I interact with the session for just a few minutes, then BAM, it crashes again.  It would be an interesting experiment to run a program in the RDP session that keeps changing something on the screen without any input.  I wonder if that would trigger the errror without any input?

5. I can always re-connect to the same session I had active.  So its not logging me off.  There is one exception to this.  Im in the U.S.  This customer is in Australia, and they have a VPN.  YUCK!  so slow.  Anyway, when the error happens with them, it kills my session completely, instead of just disconnecting me.  One more thing on this.  I do believe that with just this one customer, I think I was actually getting this error message with gen 4, and I saw someone else get the same error message (he is in Australia, not on Sat connection like me).

6. I realize this probably seems ilogical, but I assure you its true.  One RDP window inside another RDP window will trigger the error much more frequently.  The inner RDP window does not crash, only the outer one.  When I reconnect to the outer session, sure enough, the inner session is still active.  One time I was able to keep triggering the crash at will, almost instantly.  All I had to do was interact with the inner session, and BAM, crash. 

7. Other remote software like Logmein, GotoMyPC, and others seem to work just fine.  All of our customers have every possible combination of VPN client combined with every goofy remote software you can think of.  They all seem to work just fine.  Its only good ole RDP that has the problem.

If the techs want to do a remote session, or need any data, let me know.  Im here all day, every day working.

Hi RandomPerson123,

Thank you for reaching out and providing this information, I'll let the engineers know and see if they have any news. I'll post back once I have any updates to share.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

I have a possible solution to the remote desktop connection errors.  My company started using a VPN for remote access and required me to install Sonic Wall Net Extender which encrypts data.  I do not understand all the technical stuff but since I have been using it with Hughes I have not been kicked off due to the data encryption error at all. The connection is a little slower but maybe it will be a solution for some of you or something Hughes could check in to.  Hope this helps.

Great suggestion! I turned on my Norton Wifi Privacty and haven't gotten the error in hours, where I was getting it within 2 minutes of connecting every time.

Update - I am still not getting kicked off as much since I am using the VPN but unfortunately the connection is too slow to use and I keep getting connection breaks.  I am on the phone now with tech support about this.