Highlighted
Freshman

Re: Remote Desktop Connection error with HT2000W

Working on it for like 1 month?

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Abrown

If you are replying to a specific post, please quote the post or use the @ symbol to select from a list of the posters.  Without doing so you are replying to no one, and five posts in a row look like spamming, which will succeed in nothing more than getting you booted from the Community, which you may very well regret if you need help with an issue in the future.     

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Associate Professor

@Abrown If you look, the post went un-noticed till the 25th.  If you do some packet captures, you would see that for some reason it's actually the computer or device you're using, that's resetting the connection (thus resulting in the encryption error message), most likely caused from an unknown, and difficult to pinpoint anomaly.

Been poking at this my self for a while now, could be anything causing it, from a random latency spike that RDC can't tolerate well if it detects a high speed, to a QoS issue.  Even took a nice little screenshot showing you what the traffic looks like when doing a packet capture on my own desktop when the error comes up.

QQsumoar.jpg

But hey, what do I know.

Highlighted
Freshman

I have tried all recommendations posted on this feed - nothing has really helped.  Was on the phone again today for another hour with tech support.  They re-registered my modem/router but it has not changed anything.  I can handle the slow speeds but the data encrytion error will not allow me to stay connected to remote desktop connection long enough to work.  Especially for both me and my husband.  It has gotten so bad lately only 1 of us can work and the 1 of us that is working is still having trouble with the error.  We are having to work from a hotel room for this weekend since both of us work 13 hour shifts sat and sun.  I just dont understand why it has gotten so bad lately.  I hate being that person to complain.  I hope HughesNet finds a resolution soon but unfortunately we will have to switch until that happens.  Gen5 was great until this.  Smiley Sad

Highlighted
New Poster

@Corrosive, your “handle” appears to be quite apropos.  The way you name your screen shot images intended to “help” other forum viewers/posters is a fine indicator of your corrosive/condescending nature.

I’m sure that all HughesNet users are familiar with and can interpret the results of a network protocol analyzer like Wireshark.  Maybe next time you can suggest the end users run Sysinternals Procmon.exe and have them analyze the tens, if not hundreds, of thousand entries created in less than a minute to find the source of this problem on their machine.

This issue, getting disconnected from a Remote Desktop Connection “Because of an error in data encryption….” Is clearly and unequivocally a HughesNet problem.  If I use my cell phone as a hotspot, I can work all day without a single disconnect. But on HughesNet I get shut down at least (and sometimes a lot more than) once an hour.  Same machine in both cases.  So your implication that the issue is in any way related to the client machine is preposterous.

But hey, what do I know?

Tags (2)
Highlighted
Sophomore

Actually I would guess that this is an issue having to do with the latency of Sat based internet, A quick google suggests that anything over 300ms with RDP causes issues (like frequent disconnects).

I would ensure that you have web aceleration and video compression disabled on the hughesnet side, but other then that I'm not sure you will be able to solve this issue.  

What version of windows are you RDP'ing from and to?  

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Sophomore

In addition, is it possible for you to try connecting via VNC instead of RDP?  Apparently VNC is much more tolerant to higher latency connections.

Highlighted
New Poster

Just a general update:

During a normal workday from 7:00am t0 4:00pm Central time:

11/03/17 Disconnected 28 Times

11/02/17 Disconnected 12 Times

11/01/17 Disconnected 21 Times

10/31/17 Disconnected 4 Times *Great Day!!

10/30/17 Disconnected 13 Times

10/27/17 Disconnected 6 Times

10/25/17 Disconnected 11 Times

10/24/17 Disconnected 1 Time *Awesome!!

10/23/17 Disconnected 14 Times

I could go on...

Using Win 10 RDC V 10.0.15063.674

Connecting to Terminal Server Machine Windows 2012 R2

I have noticed that if I restart the Hughesnet modem I have better luck staying connected.

Sophomore

@cindysalyer wrote:

I have tried all recommendations posted on this feed - nothing has really helped.  Was on the phone again today for another hour with tech support.  They re-registered my modem/router but it has not changed anything.  I can handle the slow speeds but the data encrytion error will not allow me to stay connected to remote desktop connection long enough to work.  Especially for both me and my husband.  It has gotten so bad lately only 1 of us can work and the 1 of us that is working is still having trouble with the error.  We are having to work from a hotel room for this weekend since both of us work 13 hour shifts sat and sun.  I just dont understand why it has gotten so bad lately.  I hate being that person to complain.  I hope HughesNet finds a resolution soon but unfortunately we will have to switch until that happens.  Gen5 was great until this.  Smiley Sad

Hello @cindysalyer,

I had started another thread for an issue I'm experiencing for work as well that only started after upgrading to Gen5.  Gen4 worked pretty much flawlessly.  My issue is with Skype for Business and my specific error is this:

About a minute into the viewing you got disconnect with the below error:

ms-client-diagnostics: 52164; reason="Appsharing session disconnected due to RDP stack closed the connection"

Microsoft have told me from the logs they can tell it is not my client that initiated the disconnection, meaning it was either the ISP or the Skype for Business online server.  In my case I will be trying to perform a test while in town to isolate the issue - ISP or Skype for Business Online related.  But as I said this problem started after moving to Gen5. 

Curious if you have made any progress at all on your issue.  I totally empathize with you.  This past month plus since upgrading to Gen5 has been the most difficult in my past 20+ years in IT.  I quite literally cannot get my job done the way things are working now.  Trying to remain optimistic that the issue can be pinpointed and addressed.

Highlighted
Sophomore

I would be curious to know if this is a result of the way HughesNet is making the modems DHCP at strange (and short) intervals.  Can you see (begin tracking) if your modem is getting a new ipv6 prefix each time your connection is dropped?  Sometimes my modem is keeping the assigned prefix for days, and other times it's changing several times in an hour (without losing connection).  The change in your ipv6 prefix would temporarily disrupt any kind of streaming connection.

On a typical ISP, when the modem DHCP's the "Dynamically assigned IP" is set to that modem for days, not hours/minutes.