cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Speed Testing?

Remote Speed Testing?

I am the operations manager for a business that uses Hughes Net at a remote (to me) location. We installed Hughesnet to run our cloud based point of sale system (Square) at a remote location. Apparently, the general manager stopped using Hughes Net completely about one month into the service because of delays in transaction processing. She told me it was taking 2-3 minutes for a sales transaction which is basically unacceptable. 

We have been using the 4g in our tablets to operate our business.

I am attempting to evaluate what the problem is and whether HN will ever provide the service quality we need to keep our customers happy.

On site we have only tablets, so the java based speed tests do not work.

Are there any remote monitoring tools I can use besides just the raw usage numbers in our portal?

What should I do when I'm down there or with one of our managers to see if the service will perform for us?

Jason
33 REPLIES 33
Associate Professor

Re: Remote Speed Testing?

With satellite internet, there will always be a minimum of 600ms, and commonly higher latency, which equates to a large delay...  So you will always have at least 1-2 seconds worth of "lag" depending on how fast things are...  Curiously, has the business location used up all of their monthly data allowance?  This would result in decreased speeds, and potentially higher delays.

As far back as I can see, we are using virtually 0 data. I cannot see back in the portal to the point where they stopped using the service. This was described as a regular problem, not a suddenly it stopped working problem. What I heard (I was not around at the time) was that the installation tech didn't think the location was going to be good enough to generate a quality signal.
Assistant Professor

You can run the tests at Testmy.net. Use the manual 12 MB test.

A lot of info about your system can be found here: http://192.168.0.1/  When you are connected to the HughesNet modem.

Which can only be accessed if I am on the system. Hence the request if there are any remote ways to test the system.
Assistant Professor

One of the official representatives can run some remote diagnostics. I'm sure they'll take a look when they reply.
Associate Professor

There are remote ways to do it, but only a Hughesnet Moderator will be able to run them for you since remote access to terminals isn't really possible for anyone else in order to start the test.

Hello skytraillouisiana,

Welcome to our community! As Charles Scott mentioned we do have a remote speed tests that gauges your speeds from the modem to satellite to gateway and back. This test however stops at the modem and does not measure network, external devices, routers or hubs that may be connected to the HughesNet modem (in other words, we cannot test your personal equipment). All I will need is the serial number on the modem or if you do not have it, the Account Number or full name on the account should be emailed to communitysupport@hughes.com. The serial number is safe to post here.

Thank you,
Amanda

I can check our equipment when I get there on Friday. I am concerned about the pipe. If HN is pouring water down the pipe is reasonable enough quantities, then I can figure out the equipment on our end. 

The manager that is there indicated the serial number is J7111000118891094-r

Jason

Hello skytraillouisiana,

Thank you for providing the serial number. I was able to run a quick diagnostic check on the system and first noticed the signal was very low. When I would attempt to run the speed test they would immediately fail. Using another tool, I was able to determine that the dish is actually out of alignment and will need to be repointed. This is probably also the reason you are suffering poor performance. Since this is a Small to Medium Enterprise account, I recommend having the primary contact of the site call our business line at 1-800-347-3272 to set up a work order for the tech to dispatch out. I will place notes on the account with the diagnostic results but the agent will be able to see it too. When calling, refer to case number 52052023.

Best regards,
Amanda