cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Speed Testing?

Re: Remote Speed Testing?

We will certainly try and do that, but FYI, our office manager who is named on the account spent over 30 minutes on hold yesterday trying to add me as a point of contact to the account. She eventually had to hang up.

I will make sure she was calling the business line.

Jason

Just out of curiosity, if we cannot improve the signal strength, what is Hughes Net's policy?

I was told by the office manager that the installation crew came out twice because there was no signal at the beginning of the process, so apparently this isnt a big surprise and I'm wondering if we've been paying for a very low service level that is not going to improve.

Jason

Hello Jason,

I admit I am not sure the hours for the business center, as they are not 24/7 to my knowledge. Was she waiting for someone to answer, or did someone actually put her on hold for 30 minutes?

If you cannot improve the signal by simply repointing (new structure added in the way of the line of sight, outgrown trees, etc) we will attempt to fine another line of sight on the property and re-install the equipment there. 

The signal seems to have degraded over time which to me indicates one of two things: defective/faulty hardware or a loose dish mount. 

Here, you can see the light bright blue is the site signal. The darkest blue line is the average for your area, generally where we want you to be. You can see that the lines have slowly been separating over the course of a year until it was finally low enough to be noticeable in the performance.

Please let me know if you guys have any trouble with the dispatch or getting the name added and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks
Amanda

We finally have a tech scheduled to come out today, but dealing with this process has been very time-consuming and tedious.

First, one of our office staff who is on the account had to spend about an hour and fifteen minutes to on hold to add me to the account...except they didn't add me. The put a note that I was authorized, but did not add me to the actual account. As a result of this, scheduling a service call meant 58 minutes on the phone. Most of this time (about 45 minutes) was after the attendant answered and I made contact. This was extremely frustrating. I can't imagine it is cost effective for Hughes Net to take 45 minutes of a staff member's time to schedule a service call.

The reason for the time was:

1-confirming that I really was on the account (which we thought was already a done deal)
2-freeing up the account for some reason...she implied she could not use the case number Amanda made and had to call somewhere else to get the account released so she could create a ticket and schedule a tech
3-scheduling the tech with dispatch including (what I considered) a pretty reasonable need that the tech arrive before 4pm when the zoo where we are located closes.

Jason

Hello Jason,

Thank you for your post. I do see the notes where the agent placed you on a very long hold and there seemed to be shared confusion to add you as a secondary contact. We'll make sure this is fixed. As a side note, if you actually want the account holder's name to be changed to yours, that would require the primary contact (Morgan) filling out a change of ownership form and faxing that into us. I believe this was discussed on one of your calls. 

I have escalated your cases and the agents information to have the call reviewed and taken care of. Please let me know if there are any issues with your site visit and we'll make sure it is straightened out also.

Thank you
Amanda

Thanks for all your help. I did finally meet with Lou, the subcontractor who handles repairs in our area and he was helpful. It appears we had a line of sight issue with foliage that was creeping into the "triangle." The installation was (stupidly) next to a fast growing palm tree that probably didn't effect things back when we installed the system but has quickly grown.

So this all brings up new questions and, sorry Amanda, but you are way faster and more helpful than the 800 tech support service.

1- We run an attraction at the zoo and the palm is not our tree. So I'm going to have to talk to the zoo to trim the fronds that are interfering. Problem is, palms grow quickly in the right conditions and this will likely be a broken record of trimming and re-trimming. 

If I need to relocate the install, what is involved? What kind of costs will we incur?

2- The next question is more complex. The original purpose for installing HN was to run IP cameras (Nest) for security and customer service monitoring. We know we probably can't get the 3-6 we normally have running at a location, but we were hoping for 4.

We are on (for some unknown reason) the old 9000 system, not Gen4. Tech didn't understand why since our install was last year. Thought it might be a need for static IP which Gen4 apparently doesn't support. But, Nest/DropCam does not require static IP to operate. The tech also indicated he didn't think that the 9000 system would provide enough upload bandwidth to support the cameras.

Nest's recommendation is 200-500gbs for upload (average and peak). 

Will I ever likely get this on the 9000 system we have, even if we solve the LOS problem?

Will upgrading to Gen4 provide this?

From what I'm seeing, these rates are at the top of what HN promises, so I'm thinking this might never work. Our owner indicated she was promised it would work when she originally talked to sales many months ago.

Ever thanks in sorting this out!
Jason

Hello Jason!

Thank you for coming back. I am glad to hear you're having a good support experience here. I'll go ahead and answer your questions in the same order you asked and as clearly as possible.

1 - The dish can be relocated and reinstalled to another point nearby. Depending on which route you go below, we can talk cost since it's our mistake putting it behind a palm.
2- We've tested dropcam in our labs and noted it works flawlessly with Gen4. The HN9000 was probably installed because a.) you did not have a line of sight to the Gen4 Jupiter satellite or b.) the seller thought you needed a static IP for your cameras.   (do you mean 200-500Kbps?) Depending on your service plan, the upload speeds vary, but most of our legacy HN9000 plans have less than ~1.2Mbps upload speed average.

Gen4 offers the same speeds across the USA but only changes data allowances based on geographic location. Our top Gen4 plan offers up 2Mbps upload speed, with lower tiers at 1Mbps. Since your service is repaired at the moment, perhaps we can put you on one of our Gen4 plans (requires no equipment change) designed for the HN9000 to give the data and speeds a test?

Thanks,
Amanda

Yes, I meant Kbps.

Would it just be a contract change to switch out to Gen4? How do we know if we have LOS to the satellite? Is there a way we can check?

Jason

Hi - Okay good to know!

I can send you all Gen4 offers based on your account age and status via e-mail. Can I use the one you signed up with here?

You need a clear view of the southern sky, but there are also "dish pointing" apps you can download for your phone to get and exact idea. If you do, just look for Jupiter or Echostar XVII

Thanks
Amanda

Yes, that's perfect...I think the email on the community is mine. Should be jason@lig.......com.