Remote usage

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jzman1
New Poster

Remote usage

I have a friend who uses his spectrum account from remote locations so that he uses that data plan rather that his cell phone data plan. I see no such option through Hughesnet, or am I missing something.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@jzman1

If you're referring to Spectrum WiFi Hotspots, then no, HughesNet does not have anything like that.  With HughesNet you're restricted to the range of your WiFi, whether using the HughesNet modem's built in WiFi or a 3rd party router that's connected to the HughesNet modem.  About the remotest you're going to get with your HughesNet service is your back yard.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

If you mean using HughesNet for things like browsing the Internet on your phone then it is simply a matter of connecting your phone's WiFi to the modem Wifi. Most phones will then automatically use the WiFi for data.

Cell calling over WiFi will not work however due to the higher latency with satellite.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@jzman1

If you're referring to Spectrum WiFi Hotspots, then no, HughesNet does not have anything like that.  With HughesNet you're restricted to the range of your WiFi, whether using the HughesNet modem's built in WiFi or a 3rd party router that's connected to the HughesNet modem.  About the remotest you're going to get with your HughesNet service is your back yard.