Repeatedly having problems with uplink

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfbeck
Junior

Repeatedly having problems with uplink

I don't have the patient to call customer service again. I have had a continuing problem with slow Internet connections both up and downloads. I have two different issues. One is the slow speeds during peak times. Though I'm not happy about it I understand. I have been told I need to go to Gen 5 but I have Ultra and when not recieving credit I pay around $108 a month. I already have 50/50 data, I have a router and when it's working properly I have dl speeds of 30mbps and ul speeds of 1.5 mbps. I had a technician to my house on 6/6/17 after repeated calls to technical support for recurring speeds of under 1 mbps dl and 13 kbps ul. To change to Gen 5 just to have the service that was originally offered would cost me $129.99 + $14.99 a month. Again, I'm only asking that Ultra provide the service that was promised.

What I have now in the middle of the day and at 3 am is dl speeds that vary from 80 kbps dl and 13 kbps ul at it's worst. The techician was here on 6/6 and he said he tweaked the dish. He then check the modem and said everything was fine. He wasn't gone one hour and I couldn't upload. I called again on Saturday and talked to a level one tech who had me reboot the modem, unplug it, plug it in, reboot my computer, etc, etc. The system state code would go from 12.1.9 to 0.0.0 for 5 minutes then back to 12.1.9. During this period there were several other codes that showed up but I did not write them down. The system light on the modem would go out letting me know the service was completely down. Because I'm a ways from a cell tower my phone will cut out so I requested the tech to call be back if disconnected which he did once. He finally said he would send another modem and at that point we were disconnected again. This time he didn't call back so I didn't get a case number or varification that I was going to recieve another modem. I also asked his name three times and couldn't understand it each time so I gave up asking. All during this time signal strength was 129 to 131.

The modem was overnighted which I recieved Saturday and installed Sunday. Within two minutes the system light went out and service was interupted. I went into the System Control Center and rebooted the modem. The system light has stayed on but the uploads slow to a crawl if not stopped altogther. I have been rebooting every 20 to 30 minutes to keep the service working.

I can't remember how many different stories I have heard but the best was when I was told the signal takes a long time to get to the satellite because it's so far out in space! I diplomatically explained that the signal travels at the speed of light but this raises a concern over the hours I've spent on the phone unplugging and plugging in equipment. I have two computers side by side and I have assured everyone it is not a computer issue nor is it the router as that had been bypassed. The modem is not on a ups. I would like to see a resolution to this issue.

6 REPLIES 6
Liz

Good morning dfbeck,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. I've pulled up your account and run diagnostics on your site to address your concerns; right now all looks fine with the HughesNet equipment. So I dug into our reports and I see there were some brief outages affecting your beam last week. Have you been experiencing intermittent connectivity since you last posted Monday?

Looking forward to hearing back.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thanks for getting back to me. Until today, 6/23, I've had to go into the Advanced Configuration and Statistics and reboot the modem to bring System State Code back to 0.0.0 from 12.1.9. The diagnostic code has repeatedly indicated an uplink error. Last night the State Code has remained at 0.0.0 but uplink speeds would drop to 13 kbps then jump to 1.3 mbps. I went to run a speed test today at 2:20 pm but it wouldn't load until I rebooted the modem again. State is at 0.0.0 but diagnotic coded is 000-0000-0000-0005. When I did get the test to run dl was 8.1, ul was 1.3. It is an irratatingly intermittant problem. This is the longest it's run without slowing to a crawl.  I know you can't fix a problem when it isn't happening. I don't have any suggestions.

Hi dfbeck,

Thank you for the additional information. Let's tackle intermittent connectivity first. Is the HughesNet modem plugged directly into the wall outlet or into a surge protector? If you're plugged into a surge protector, let's test having the modem plugged into a wall outlet for the weekend. Please do not reboot the modem, as it will clear your state code history, and I'd like to have a look at that next week after this test. Let me know if you notice any difference in performance while plugged into the wall outlet.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Ran the modem from the wall outlet from Friday to Monday. Checked the state periodically through the weekend and it stayed at 0.0.0 Download speeds averaged 25 mbps Uploads averaged .95 mbps. Pages would load slowly from time to time and videos buffered at the beginning almost every time. The log indicates the state would change to 12.1.9 quite often, as often as every couple of minutes, for a period of less than 1 second to 5 seconds and would apparently restart and clear the error. When the service was working other than peak times it seems to be alright other than pages slow to occasionally. Download speeds drop to .563 mbps with occasional uploads at .13 mbps during peak. The time I tracked on Testmy.net looks like a saw tooth changing 25 megs within an hour. Other than some buffering and the what the log indicates, and the peak time that I'm not pleased with, what's the verdict?

Good morning dfbeck,

I just ran new diagnostics on your site and it's now indicating that we should replace your radio. I've dispatched a tech to do so (as well as replace your modem), so let's see if you notice any significant change after the site visit.

Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Friday, Jun 30, 2017 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #104684967 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

I'm posting this here because when I tried to email it through Contact Us I received a stack error.

Liz, I don't recall what ever transpired from this earlier call but I assume the issue was corrected. Now this:

I have had various problems with Hughes internet service that in the past have been related to insufficient bandwidth causing slow downloads and buffering of videos on my Ultra package. Fortunately, these issues are becoming more and more rare. I did have a problem with loss of service at intermittent periods throughout the day starting on 9/7 The State Code would be 12.1.9 or 12.01.7 with 60 to 100% packet loss. The modem and computer have been rebooted and eventually re-installed which did not correct the problem. It would eventually correct itself after 1 to 3 hours.

A tech call was sceduled for 9/14 after which I received a call from whom ever handles the tech calls to inform me of a time available on 9/13 11am to 2pm which I accepted. Since the problem is intermittent I requested them to call me before arriving since there was nothing to diagnose if the problem wasn't occuring. Over the next few days I recieved text messgages asking to confirm a tech call scheduled from 11am to 2pm, 2pm to 5pm, another 2pm to 5pm, then an 8am to 5pm. At least they were all on the correct day. I called the number given 866 443 2501 and spoke to a rather rude woman who's name I neglected to get. She informed me the call was scheduled now for 2pm to 6pm! I explained the intermittant issue, no reason for a call now but what happens if it completely quits in an hour? Do I have to procede thru the level 1 tech again and wait several days to have service restored? I was asked, 'Well, what do you want to do?" I don't know what my options are. I canceled that call. Within minutes a new text arrived telling me the call is on hold and call RSI for questions which I did.

The lady at RSI was very understanding and I'll assume that having the call changed to 'on hold' will make a difference in the lag time between reporting an issue and having it rectified. Unfortunately, I'm of the opinion that I'll believe it when I see it. Over all, other than buffing which is greatly decreased, I can't complain about the reliability of service. Outages are few and far between. That is fortunate since repair times are always days away. I wanted to get this issue on record and hope that I won't have a complete outage that is other than weather related.

Thank you for your attention. D.F.Beckley Case # 106107812