Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resets, Disconnects for slow response on page loading, data disappearing

Highlighted
Freshman

Resets, Disconnects for slow response on page loading, data disappearing

VERY UNHAPPY 2ND MONTH CUSTOMER

My first month the service got used only rarely. I still had like 98% a few days before my data expired, so we spent that night when we stayed there (in process of moving to a very rural farm). I used that to see how fast a tv show, movie, etc., can eat through data.

We are STILL not living at the new farm. It is not where anyone could access the system short of driving down the quarter-mile lane to find it. When we are not staying there, the only thing connected to the satellite modem is the wireless router (secured).

Yes, you're right. I COULD go into the garage every time I get there and turn everything on and wait for it to boot up, then before we leave go BACK to the garage and turn everything back off. As far out as we are, and the first month having only a minimal 2% of data going to the system running 24/7, I didn't think I would NEED to.

This month, same data usage as last month, and I am already down to 85%. Email checks, two Amazon shopping trips and a lot of resets and timeouts trying to load pages. No video streaming (using cell phones for that), no music streaming. Using the internet less than two hours a week and had my data allowance restarted less than ten days ago!

What - do you start messing with people's data once you're sure they're stuck?

I can't even speed test. It lets me do the other test, but tells me my JAVA (current update) is incompatible. I have this wonderful little app on my cell phone and speed test my LTE connection obsessively, because we are using a signal amplifier, have unlimited data and I am curious. The last day I was over there, my internet from you ran similar to my phone when things get iffy - maybe 151-200 kbps. But, I have to guess, because I can't get your speed test to work on my laptop or my tablet.
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Resets, Disconnects for slow response on page loading, data disappearing

im in the same boat. first 30days great. after that cant use it for more the 5 days of my 30. don't know what to do?

Alum

Hi ljaj2008,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community! We implement a grace period during the first 15-20 days of service activation. This is for users to download updates for all of their devices which we expect have been offline for some time. This feature allows our customers to not use a bulk of their data allowance from the start. We are making strides to relay this information to all new subscribers. We apologize if this was not mentioned to you. 

Pertaining to your speed tests. You may want to uninstall and reinstall Java or try using a different browser. I had a customer recently resolve their Java error by restarting and allowing their machine to finish up windows updates. This may be the case for you. If any of my suggestions do not work. Please post back and let us know. 

There is another speed test that we recognize, so in the mean time, . Please visit www.testmy.net. Once there click on auto test:

Run the test with 12 MB as the test size.

Keep in mind to change the setting for how many times the test is run as it will use a small portion of your data. We only need about 3 test about 5-10 minutes apart. Each should be run at different times during the day to ensure we have a good depiction of your overall performance. You'll need to take screenshots of the results and post them here as well. We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we help to address your concerns. 

Thank you,
Chris
Freshman

Didn't remember to grab my laptop last night when we went over there on a whim. I did get this read, and plan to run the speed tests then.

Still had laggy internet and disconnects, etc., during the afternoon looking for Velcro on Amazon. I am beginning to suspect a cell phone, but I lost data the day after I changed all the passwords and they don't have the new one. I didn't think it was possible to use someone's WiFi without using a password and logging onto their system. Are there cell phones that piggyback on available WiFi signal without logging on to the system itself?
Freshman

Freshman

I didn't get them all done - I went back home - I forgot my medication there and needed it before bedtime. I did one right after, making sure that my tablet was completely off in case it might be somehow causing an issue. I will take more speed tests on this laptop and do one with a direct connection to the modem vs. through the router as well (and possibly more that way as well - or at least one through router one without to see if router might be causing the delay).

I got similar results through my tablet. It was running so frustratingly slow that I didn't attempt to actually open any of the HughesNet site - I just went ahead and typed the URL into the address bar and went straight to the test. In the meantime, my 4G-LTE was running 2.3MBPS tonight...
Freshman

If I hadn't forgotten my medicine, I was planning on probably doing one after peak data usage in an attempt to not burn through all my data just doing speed tests. :-(
Freshman

Freshman

Currently, though, I have plenty of data left... It shouldn't be because of overage. :-(

Freshman

I did try the Java suggestions, including different browsers. I have used Chrome, Microsoft's new browser, and the browser on my Kindle Fire. None of them let me speed test from your page. Going to keep tinkering, though.