cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I_Andrade
Freshman

Results of testmy.net test

Hello,

I tested my connection as instructed in the "Think have slow speeds?" thread. The results are posted below. Here is the URL: https://testmy.net/quickstats/Lunadel

Can barely do online meetings for work (video and audio freeze) and streaming is constantly interrupted. For this, the cost is two or three times more than others connections that are many times faster. Very poor choices for service in this area.

Speedtest_Up_download.png

23 REPLIES 23
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@I_Andrade 

The reps will need a few more tests to be run. 

For the link needed by the reps to view your test results, while signed into your testmy.net account, click on My Results.  When on your My Results page, copy the URL in the address bar and paste it into a reply.

GabeU

@I_Andrade 

Might this be you?

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Lunadel

If so, please be sure to use the proper test file sizes when running the tests.  25MB for download tests and 4MB for upload tests.  

I don't see any place to do this on the site--change the file size, I mean. You should see the correct link in the original post, which I edited.

Amazon Prime is especially horrible for trying to watch movies. Like yesterday, buffering every 30 sec. to maybe 2 minutes. Here is the latest error message (just now):

Amazon error.png

GabeU

@I_Andrade 

Unfortunately, because of the high latency inherent to geostationary satellite internet and the current high system load, which is causing a lot of congestion, as well as the prioritization policy that is currently in place to favor schooling and work related activities, streaming may not work very well.  This is especially the case for Amazon, which seems to be the most problematic of the streaming services.  It's also tends to be the most problematic in the evenings, when the highest number of people are online and, ironically, trying to stream.

Still, the speed testing will help to establish whether speed itself is the problem, and if it's not, the reps still may be able to do something to help.

Lastly, if you haven't already, you can try turning off, or snoozing, the Video Data Saver.  This may or may not help, but it sometimes does.

@GabeU Thanks for the explanation. The movie streaming on Amazon wasn't as horribly bad just now, but probably because WIFI was disabled. During the day at work, performance seems much worse for Sharepoint Teams meetings than Zoom. Unfortunately there is no way around dealing with Sharepoint for upcoming meetings, so must go to the office for those. In addition, streaming of videos embedded in courses for an online school, which I was contracted to work on, was generally very bad and other components loaded amazingly slow. The project is done now, but the slow connection cost me a lot of time for what I was paid. Not sure how traffic is prioritized, but speed differences for me seem random.

GabeU

@I_Andrade wrote:

The movie streaming on Amazon wasn't as horribly bad just now, but probably because WIFI was disabled.  

That can certainly help, especially if other devices can be sapping the bandwidth at the given time.  It's also possible that congestion is lessening because of the time of evening.  For me, things often start improving around 10PM or so.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, just for information and an idea, some of us with HughesNet use PlayOn Cloud for our streaming.  It's not for things you want to watch right away, as it isn't instant, but if you like to stream movies or TV shows and you can watch them at a later time, PlayOn Cloud can be very handy.  I've started to amass a good size movie and TV series library while using it.

What PlayOn Cloud does is record your chosen streamed item onto a cloud based DVR, and it then converts that item into an MP4, which you can then download, either automatically, by scheduling, or manually.  You can then watch that file on any device that can play MP4s, of which today most can.  The advantages are that there is absolutely no buffering due to it being an already downloaded file, and you can keep the item forever, watching it again whenever you like, kind of like the digital version of a DVD.  The disadvantages are that you can't watch the item until it's recorded and then downloaded, which happens in real time, and the maximum resolution is 720p.  Still, the 720p looks very good.  All of my items look HD to me.  You can record them in SD if you want to save a little data (the files will be smaller), but to me the data saved isn't worth the inferior look.  

The service itself is free, but you buy recording credits, with each credit being good for one item, whether that item is a movie or TV show, and whether it's fifteen minutes long or four hours long.  The've been having some sales lately, with credits ending up being around 10 cents per, though when it's regular price it's around 25 cents per credit.  This is a sale on credits they're running right now (I hope the link works). 

When you stream an item, its MP4 will be available to download for seven days, at which point it's deleted from the cloud.  You can buy a storage plan, which stores the items in the cloud indefinitely, but I've never needed that.  I tend to download my items that same night or the next night.  I manually download my items late at night to both use my Bonus Zone data and have them download quickly.

Many of the most popular streaming services work with PlayOn Cloud, and you can see a list of them on that first linked page.  You have to have either an Android or Apple based device for the PlayOn Cloud app, but you can download the files to any device.  I manually download them to my computer from a link they send to my email, then transfer them to a USB external hard drive, which I connect to my Smart TV to watch.  I also write the files to DVDs and/or BluRay disks for more permanent storage. 

Again, it's just an idea.  If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask.  maratsade uses PlayOn Cloud as well, so he too can answer questions about it.  And no, I don't have any connection to PlayOn Cloud.  😛  I just like it because it gives me a way to stream more easily with HughesNet.

Thanks, that's a good suggestion especially for Amazon Prime movies. What about applications for work meetings such as Sharepoint and Zoom? Someone shared their screen with me at a meeting that took place around 2:30 EST last Wednesday, and my video looked really pixelated. The person on the other end said it was freezing a lot as well. 

GabeU

@I_Andrade wrote:

What about applications for work meetings such as Sharepoint and Zoom? Someone shared their screen with me at a meeting that took place around 2:30 EST last Wednesday, and my video looked really pixelated. The person on the other end said it was freezing a lot as well. 

I don't know of any alternatives or "fixes" for problems with these, but the reps may be able to help, especially since it's something for work, which is one of the things they're focusing on during the pandemic.

They're on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST.  They usually respond within a working day, so hopefully you'll see a reply from them tomorrow.

@Liz @Damian @Remy 

Edit:  I should add that sometimes a power cycle can help, as it "resets" your connection to the satellite and purges the modem's cache.  It can also help to put your connection on a cleaner "channel" at the time, though the load on the "channels" changes dynamically due to load levelling, so it can start to slow down and/or buffer again after a while.  To perform the power cycle, unplug your HughesNet modem, wait at least 60 seconds, then plug it back in.  Then wait for at least five minutes, which gives the modem time to be fully back up and ready, and try your activity again.

Good morning I_Andrade,

Welcome and thanks for posting and working with our community so far. We have some work from home tips regarding video conferencing: https://www.hninfo.us/worktips

I want to make sure the HughesNet equipment is working properly so please private message me your SAN (account number) or the associated phone number so I can run diagnostics on your site.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Good morning I_Andrade, 

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi I_Andrade, 

I got your PM with the requested info, thank you, and I've reopened this thread. I just ran diagnostics on your site and currently I can't communicate with the modem. Is it currently powered on?

-Liz

I_Andrade,

I was able to run diagnostics on your site now, looks like your dish could use an adjustment. What's your preferred time to have a site visit, morning or afternoon?

-Liz

I am available anytime this weekend at your convenience. That would work best since I have this virtual conference coming up next week, Monday through Thursday, from 10:30 a.m. - 6 p.m. every day. I have to do that from my company office with broadband internet because can't take the risk of any interruptions.

Thanks for letting me know, your complimentary dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available weekend slot: Saturday, Aug 1, 2020 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. The tech will reach out to confirm the visit, so you can use that opportunity to reschedule if needed. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

-Liz

Thanks, I might need to reschedule for the following Monday, 8/3. I was planning a weekend trip from Friday to Sunday.

@Liz Hi, a technician came by my house yesterday and moved the satellite dish from the back yard. He said that tree growth likely caused increased interference with the signal. The home is mostly surrounded by tall pines but the dish is now at the far left edge of the large front yard, much farther from the line of trees on the far right. 

I haven't noticed any real difference so far. Are you going to run a diagnostic test again? 

Good morning I_Andrade, 

Thank you for this update. Your current diagnostics show the HughesNet equipment working normally, and that there's light rain in your area. After the site visit, what exactly were you trying to do online that appeared to perform the same as before?

-Liz

Hi I_Andrade,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

I've been wondering what in the world is going on with my service since april, but now I can see why from your post on 7/17/20 to Andrade. The only time it seems I can use HughesNet is at about 1am PST to 6am PST. During the morning my Upload slows and by afternoon it's almost useless. Uploading has been the main problem though and I keep getting these red Xs on the Uplink from Diagnostics under the (Advanced Menu page). 1am to 6am PST is the only time I see 0000-0000-0000-0005 code. After that I get all kinds of numbers. What is the latest on Jupiter-3? Any new Modems besides the HT2000W? Mine gets really hot, but I hear that is normal.

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD
Gateway ID9
Beam ID4
Outroute ID1