cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Colby
Sophomore

Returning Issue. Constant Disconnects.

@Liz

This is Colby again. I recently had an ongoing thread on here. I have been having issues with my connection since November of last year. After you had said my gateway was updated, my disconnects stopped for a couple of days. So, I marked the previous thread as resolved. Literally, later that evening my issues returned in full force. I am constantly disconnecting again. I can't play a video, even on the lowest quality, without buffering every few seconds. My wife can't download a book on her kindle. I seem to be dropping connection on a regular basis.

This issue is present on wifi and while using a wired connection. It happens on multiple devices. My speed tests are fine. I'm not showing any packet loss, so I don't know what the issue is. The weather is fine at my location as well. However, when I check the diagnostics in system control, I am showing some red X's in the uplink row.

I've been having serious issues since November of last year. The download speeds are fine now, but I can't reliably use the internet when I am disconnecting this often.

I hope you can help me out with this. Its been a nightmare dealing with these issues for so long. Thanks!

30 REPLIES 30
Colby
Sophomore

I've noticed that my upload speed test results seem pretty poor. This may have something to do with my issues. I'm not sure.

Good morning Colby,

Thanks for posting back. I'm letting the engineer know that the disconnects are persisting. Thank you for the testmy.net result. For future tests, please ensure you're using the 25 MB test file for downloads, and 4 MB for upload speeds.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hey @Liz

I wanted to post a screenshot of my packet loss as well. 

Packet Loss.png

Also, another upload test result.

And a test at the 4MB size

Good morning Colby,

Thank you for your patience. Engineering completed network updates last night to improve service. Please monitor your system performance and let us know how it goes.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

@Liz

The connection does not seem to have improved any since the update. Actually, I think web browsing may be a little slower. There's a lot more spinning going on when I try to open a page.

Also, (probably my biggest concern) I can't play a very simple turn based card game that I've played for at least 4 years. The game worked fine on Gen4 for years, now I often disconnect every turn. I play this game semi competively and lots of times, I can't even finish a game. I had no problems on Gen4, but often can't even play a single card on Gen5 without disconnecting and losing games. It's the exact same game, no changes. Simple and turn based. Like I mentioned in my previous thread, the card game is my primary reason for having internet. It's my main hobby and I'm really serious about it. I've been having issues with this for months and months now. Disconnecting from a game that I've won, after investing 30 minutes into it, is way more frustrating than pages opening slowly.

I ran another upload test this evening that may be helpful, I'm not sure. 

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Good morning Colby,

Thank you for your updates, I'm sorry to hear that. I'll send over your feedback and speed test result over to engineering to let them know.

Ok thanks @Liz

While I'm here, I figured I would share a upload test. I had to try the 4 MB upload test more than once. The test did not want to complete the first couple of attempts. On the third attempt, it took longer than it should have, but finally completed. This is really making it hard to use the connection. I really hope this can be figured out soon. 

Also, before this, I'm showing packet loss again with limited connectivity to the gateway. I can do a connectivity test multiple times (right after) and show no packet loss. However, this packet loss continues to show up on a regular basis, as it has since November of last year.

packet loss 3.png

Here is a screenshot of the uplink errors that I'm getting.

Uplink Issues.png

Thanks Colby, I'll send this to engineering as well.

@Liz thanks for looking into this. I really appreciate it. Hopefully this can be figured out before too long. I was reading another thread with similar issues that was posted around December and its still not resolved. I don't think I can tolerate this issue for another 3 or 4 months. I know you're doing all you can, but I've been having issues since mid November.

You may not need this, but wanted to share this from this evening.

Uplink Issues 2.png

Thanks for the update Colby.

Outside of the game, do you also get disconnected while doing general browsing? Which game are you getting disconnected from? Perhaps we can try to reproduce the behavior you're encountering.

@Liz, generally the web browsing is decent as of right now. However, it does happen with other things. My wife struggles to download books on her kindle, for example. Its like the connection just drops. I've seen her try multiple times just to get the store to open. Its like the connection drops or something. When this happens, I have immediately opened system control. But system control shows a green status light and says there are no issues. However, I have started checking the diagnostics page and am usually showing several red X's in the uplink row. 

The game is Hearthstone. Its a simple turn based card game. I've played it for years and years on Gen 4 with no issue. The game usually works well on my opponents turn, but I disconnect on a regular basis on my turn. This makes me think that the issue could be with me trying to send data out. 

Its like the connection can't be trusted to maintain itself. 

OK thank you for the additional details.

Good morning Colby,

Thanks for your patience while engineering investigates. I have an interesting update that might pertain to your issue. Engineering now understands the root of a number of issues, one of which MIGHT include your issue with Hearthstone. It requires a software fix on the gateway, but right now it's early in the testing process. No ETA on testing completion and roll out.

Once I have any more news to share I'll let you know.

@Liz thanks for the update. That doesn't sound too promising. Seems like this will go on for awhile. Also, I'm not sure what has happened, but since my allowance has reset a couple of days ago, my connection has gotten a lot worse. It has been extremely slow. I didn't think I would ever get logged into this site to post this. Now I'm not only having my original issue, but my download speeds seem a lot slower as well. I was averaging around 15-18 Mbps for awhile, but now I can barely even play a few seconds of a video on low quality. It will play for a few seconds, buffer for about 30, then repeat this process all over again.

Anyway, here are a couple of test results. I've been noticing some RTT errors recently as well.

RTT Error 2.png

Good morning Colby,

Thank you for these updates, after digging around I couldn't see anything that could have happened recently that would cause your latest concerns. I'm keeping a lookout and checking in for updates on engineering's investigation for you. Once I have any news to share I'll let you know.  Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

Hey @Liz

I just wanted to provide an update and let you know that I continue to have the issues. I didn't want my thread to be closed. 

This is the diagnostics from this evening. I've been gone most of the day, and just recently started trying to use the connection today. I'm being disconnected pretty often.

Thanks for any updates you can provide.

Uplinkerror4.png

Good morning Colby,

Thanks for the update. We did ping engineers for news on this and what we got is that they fixed the root issue, which as I mentioned before *might* also address your issue. This fix will have to be rolled out at your gateway, however we have no schedule for that yet. Once we do have news on that, we'll let you know.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

@Liz thanks for the update. I'll go ahead and post a couple of the diagnostic screens in the meantime. I'm not sure if its helpful, but shouldn't hurt. The first is from yesterday, and the second is from today.

uplinkerror5.pnguplinkerror6.png