Hughesnet Community

Robocall Problem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
labsnjacks

Robocall Problem

I ported my landline to Hughes last summer. I've had the same home number for decades and had signed up with the DoNotCall List many years ago. Sales- and robot-calls were reduced to maybe a couple a month (still got political calls tho). As soon as my landline was transferred I signed up on the List again, just to make sure I was protected. Unfortunately, since the transfer I have been inundated with robocalls - sometimes 4,5,6 per day!! (I have verified that my number is supposed to be blocked by the DNC List). They come from multiple numbers all over the country. I've looked at the apps that are supposed to help with VoIP lines but they don't support Hughes (or BigRiver Telephone). I've been very unhappy with my service and would love to cancel but am locked in. Can you at least make my remaining time a little more bearable?! On top of this, I can't even get into the "self-support" area of my voice service!
15 REPLIES 15
Liz

Hi labsnjacks,

Welcome and thanks for posting. I've been able to locate your account, please let me investigate on your behalf and check back in with you once I have an update.

Regarding the web-self care portal, up to date screenshots and instructions are in the online setup guide, starting here on page 37, if you were having trouble finding where you can manage your voice service: http://voice.hughesnet.com/activate/docs/innoQuickStart.pdf

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

labsnjacks

I know about the guide, but still, I'm supposed to be able to access this site and it is not now, and never has been available. There have been tons of other people having the exact problem. Hughes needs to address it or allow me to cancel my phone service without the penalty!
Liz

Hi labsnjacks,

At what point are you getting stuck? I'd like to try to reproduce the experience. Can you please take a screenshot of what you see on the MyServices page?

The page should look like this, but for VOIP customers, there should be something in the My Services section:

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

RE Robo Calls: Telemarketing abuse has nothing to do with your telephone number being with one service  provider or another.

All of my cell, business line, and home numbers and those of my family members are all listed with the National DNC list. It makes no difference. Telemarketing abuse is at an all-time high. Sleazy telemarketers ignore the law and call anyway. There is next to nothing any phone service provider can do about this, and blocking incoming numbers won't stop it. These sleazeballs simply change numbers, and use incoming number-spoofing software to avoid blocks.

This is a national problem. If you want action on this, complain to your congressman, and sign petitions with Consumer Reports and others to help urge lawmakers to stop telemarketing abuse. If enough teeth are put into current laws, perhaps we can curb it.

https://www.fcc.gov/stop-unwanted-calls

http://www.scambusters.org/telemarketingharassment.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/best-ways-turn-tables-telemarketers/story?id=21534413
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
labsnjacks

1) Go to MyHughesnet, click on "Billing"
2)Click on "My Services" where I see "Manage"
3) Click on "Manage" where a window pops up telling me that I have HughesNet Voice and to click on the Manage button.
4)I click on the Manage button and a new log-in page comes up. I log in with my email and password. The Web Selrf-Care Administration page opens. There are 2 columns- one for Call Records, the other to Port My Number. But the page tells me "Something has gone wrong, please try again".

I've gone through these same steps a couple of times with the Voice people over the phone. I have always gotten this same response. I've retyped my email/password just in case there were transcription errors, rebooted my computer, etc, etc.
labsnjacks

I do know that this is an ongoing problem for everyone. What I am questioning is why I've gone from getting a couple calls a month to getting numerous each day only after changing to Hughes' voice service. It makes me think someone has released my info.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Most likely just coincidence. I have unlisted numbers getting calls.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Liz

Aha, that does sound out of the ordinary. Can you please take a screenshot of your web self-care page? Please take care in editing/cropping out any personal info (your SAN, phone number, etc) before posting in this community. 

There normally are other options in the top menu aside from Call Records and Port My Number.

Have you tried accessing the web self-care page from a browser other than Chrome?

How about a different computer, does the self-care page load differently?

From a cursory check, I was able to pull up your self-care page from the admin side and it appears normal:

-Liz

labsnjacks

Here are the steps:
Liz

Good morning labsnjacks,

Thank you for the screenshots, this is helpful; I'll send this up to our VOIP engineers. This does look like an internal error, but just so we have our bases covered (and I'm sure they will ask), can you please tell me:

Have you tried accessing the web self-care page from a browser other than Chrome?

How about a different computer, does the self-care page load differently?

Looking forward to hearing back.

Thanks,
Liz

labsnjacks

I just tried to use Internet Explorer and couldn't even sign in to Hughes. I could go to various pages of Hughes and I could sign in to other websites, but when I tried to get to the self-care page of Hughes I couldn't even get beyond the login page. I tried it on my phone (Android) and got the same response as with Chrome.
labsnjacks

I pulled out my old laptop and tried to sign in. Got online and into Hughes just fine but when I tried the self-care page I got the same response as before.
Liz

OK, thank you so much for the clarification. I've noted that after you get to the login screen for the Voice self-care page and try to log in, you always see that error.

After purchasing the Voice service, I see you ported your number last July. That process is initiated within the self-care page. Do you recall using a different set of credentials to access the self-care page last summer? 

One would have to register separately for the web-self care page in order to log in, and this log in info may be different from what you use to log into the HughesNet support center. Perhaps you can try clicking the Logout link then the Forgot my Password link on the login page. I see that your HughesNet address is listed as your login email, so we know that at least. Please let me know how it goes.

This is also being investigated by the VOIP admins now, I will post back once I have any updates to share. 

Thanks,
Liz

labsnjacks

Finally, for the first time since porting my landline number, I can access my self-care page and was able to try the blocking function.
It's unfortunate that it was this difficult to get access to basic functions and that I had to go through so many people to finally get a solution. Hughes still has a long way to go to change my opinion. Faster internet is wonderful but so far that is the only part I like.
I do thank YOU, Liz, for sticking with it and getting it figured out for me!
Liz

Hi labsnjacks!

Thanks for updating me, glad to see you were able to get into the web-self care portal to manage your Voice features! You're very welcome and please don't hesitate to drop by again if you have other concerns with your HughesNet services.

Thanks,
Liz