cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neilglassman
New Poster

Router firmware version; recommendations for latency and WiFi testing

Two sets of questions.

I have an HGT2010W router. Router info in the System Control Center shows firmware version 0.10.19, which indicates it is prerelease. How may I check to see that I have the most current firmware version and what is the development timeline for the release version? (FWIW, the router info displayed in the System Control Center does not accurately reflec the serial number physically on the back of the router.)

Have been finding latency and WiFi coverage issues. Before asking for support, please advise the "approved" means to test for latency and for router WiFi performance. Latency is so severe multiple conferencing apps (WebEx, Zoom, and Teams) which are so far from duplex those on the other side are totally out of synch. For WiFi signal strength , I have been using Wi-Fi Scanner in the Apple Airport Utility which shows a precipitous drop is signal when stepping 15 feet away from router while maintaining obstacle-free line of sight.

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
MarkJFine
Professor

When conisdering latency, did you realize that in satellite communications, the radio signal has to traverse a total of around 95k miles for a round-trip handshake?

Edit: **bleep** keyboard... skipped the 'k'.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:

When conisdering latency, did you realize that in satellite communications, the radio signal has to traverse a total of around 95k miles for a round-trip handshake?

Edit: **bleep** keyboard... skipped the 'k'.

Yes, I do realize this. Discounting other system latencies, that 95k round trip should take about a half second. Is there a spec for the expected system latency? One would think, perhaps incorrectly, that the other system induced latencies would be marginal. I am looking for a way to prove (or disprove) that the latency I am experiencing is frequently between one and 1.5 seconds. Also, would like to determine whether the latency "add-on" is inherent in the HughesNet system or, perhaps, a flaw in my modem.

That's a half-second per ping, depending upon potential needs to resend (which would of course multiply it) as well as system congestion and the ability for servers on the internet to be able to handle that half-second. Doubtful it's a flaw in your modem as it's likely some combination of the latter two.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:

That's a half-second per ping, depending upon potential needs to resend (which would of course multiply it) as well as system congestion and the ability for servers on the internet to be able to handle that half-second. Doubtful it's a flaw in your modem as it's likely some combination of the latter two.

Is what you are saying is that no HughesNet user, regardless of time of day or conferencing software used, is able to conduct anything near duplex conversations? Is that your experience?

Don't understand what you mean by "near duplex" since it's certainly not simplex, which implies a single click-to-talk channel like a walkie-talkie. You're just significantly lagged.

Understand that many real-time streaming and conferencing servers don't know how to deal with irregular packet delays. Often during congestion, an acknowledgement packet can be so late as to be ignored, which is why you can see a lot of what appears to be buffering. Many times it's not really buffering - the server is resending the whole requested frame because it never saw the late ack and just assumed a nack in the first place.

Streaming and conferencing is a very ping-intensive activity, not like simple web site browsing and file downloading. TV stations struggle with the delay in live satellite interviews even when they basically have an entire transponder's bandwidth to themselves. Now imagine sharing a spot beam with potentially hundereds of thousands of others that are all trying to stream and conference at the same time, and a groundstation that handles around 8 beams to gateway to the internet. It's complete bedlam.

neilglassman
New Poster

The "HughesNet Community Mailer" asked me if the reply to my query solve my problem. While I appreciate @MarkJFine helping to define the problem, it did not get to whether I had something else contributing to the latency issue I am experiencing when conferencing.

I contacted technical customer support and learned that:

1. The tech advised that, even when everything is working at peak performance, the inherent latency of the HughesNet system significantly interferes with conferencing. Being unable to conduct a conversation in real-time is not to be expected. So, there is no need to test whether my latency is especially bad; even "optimally" I should not expect conferencing to work.
  2. As far as I can tell, the explicit and implicit information provided online by HughesNet with regards to conferencing and latency does not advise that conferencing is out of the question. In fact, an FAQ about Skype says it works. HughesNet sales and marketing material is outside the scope of what the tech was able to address, and I respect that.
  3. I can do all the testing I want, but the testing by the tech is what counts. So, when my upload speed was measured by the tech at 2Mbps, my tests which ranged from 0.1 to 1.1Mbps do not a warrant further investigation.
  4. The tech was not able to address questions about my router having pre-release firmware, but did confirm that the version I have is the latest.

I am fortunate to have 4G phone service. With a hot-spot on my phone and my laptop connected to the hot-spot via Bluetooth, real-world performance outstrips HughesNet during conferencing, email, and general web browsing. HughesNet has an edge when streaming videos.