Router problem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecoalex2
Tutor

Router problem

My wifi crashes, I have to restart the usb wifi card. , sometimes it has difficulty locating the router. The output in the lower panel shows 100% then varies, sometimes down to 35%, then climbs back up to 100%. it is constantly making swings, some subtle, some down to low, or no connection. This is on 2 of my computers. The problem started about 2 weeks ago, and continues.I tried reinstalling the wifi card driver, and any updates, for Linux, nothing seems to help. Any help appreciated
13 REPLIES 13
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

When you say "router," do you mean the HughesNet wifi modem, or something else? 

Hi, The Hughes modem wifi router. I also am seeing speeds under 8mps during the bonus time (now) 7 Am pdst. I still have mucho in the bonus allowance. Last nite I had speeds at .3-.4 mps . If you view my speed data you can see the speeds. Thanks

Hi, I just lost my connection to the router again. I had to restart the connection by clicking on the recognised router HUGg495758.
maratsade

Is this still your Testmy.net results page? https://testmy.net/quickstats/ecoalex

The latest result there is from 2018.  

Hi, I ran Hughes tests last nite, and this morning. If you can view the Hughes data , it is there. Thanks
maratsade

As you may remember, to have speed issues addressed on this community, you have to follow a specific procedure, which includes running your tests on Testmy.net and providing the URL to your Testmy.net's My Results page. 

Ok, I'll run some tests. My problem is connection, not speeds. No connection no speed 🙂 Thanks

Good morning ecoalex,

Thank you for posting! I ran diagnostics on your site and regarding connectivity, I'm seeing that two of your PCs (mac addresses ending in 6D and A9, both Dells) have a high delay. I'd like to make an adjustment to your modem to try to address this; it would temporarily disconnect you. Please let me know if it's ok for me to proceed.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Ok, my latest tests https://testmy.net/quickstats/ecoalex Thanks

Hi again ecoalex,

I was discussing your case with an engineer and he checked on our side to make sure there wasn't something happening: no alarms, just some bad weather for your area yesterday. However, after digging further into the devices experiencing the high delay, I realize these Dell models, the Optiflex 790, are 10 years old. Considering that both of these Dells are showing high delays, I'm inclined to think that their NICs (network interface card) are the root cause, especially if only the Dells are the only devices experiencing these disconnects.

I'd look into replacing the NICs or upgrading your PCs. 

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thanks Liz 🙂 I only started having the connectivity problem in the 2 weeks. I have been using these computers for months before with no problems. Something has changed. I had problems a few months before as did some others in my beam. The problem was on your side. I'm inclined to think this is the case again, as it only recently began.. I have used old Dells with no problems. I did upgrade to newer versions,they worked well until only 2 weeks ago. I hope this can be resolved. Thanks

As I mentioned before, the engineer saw nothing on our side indicating any issues. The device names I'm seeing with the high delay notification are labeled "Optiflex 790", are they not the Dell Optiflex 790 model? While the PC may be newly acquired, the model is still old, and I'm concerned with the NIC in those PCs. If hesitant to replace the whole PC, try just updating the NIC to see if that makes a difference.

You can also try changing the wifi channel; perhaps put each PC on different channels, just be sure to pick from either channel 1, 6, or 11.

You should be able to pick channels from the advanced settings in the wifi settings menu. For reference this shows how to access your wifi settings.

-Liz

Thanks Liz , I will keep this post and page on changing the wifi settings. I did find the page ,but was stopped by the administration login , now I have the password. I still maintain, no problem until recently. Both Dells worked well for many months until now. Using Linux Mint 20 also , I know Mint functions well with older computers, one reason I use Linux. Thanks for your help and suggestions as always, you're the bestest! 🙂