cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers for Monitoring

Highlighted

Routers for Monitoring

OK, I know this is probably the 1,001st post about monitoring data and routers, but I'm in need of specific product recommendations. Basically, I've seen a lot of general discussion but I'm computer illiterate and find this whole thing very confusing. There are so many criteria and options; it's like I need a flow chart to figure out the best router for us.

Here are our needs. If anyone has a suggestion of a specific wireless router, I'd really appreciate it!
House is one story with basement, apprx. 4,000 sq. ft.
Computer is a MacBook Pro
Need to monitor data usage on individual devices (phones, Kindles, etc.)
I'd like to also see what websites the kids have been on - and maybe my husband too Smiley Happy
Our current router is old (I'd say 7-9 years old.) 

Thank you!
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Routers for Monitoring

Hi ang.k,

Sounds like you could definitely use some different opinions on this. Like Bill mentioned, our Champs and other customers have great information on routers and what might work for you. A lot of what you pick will depend on the material your home is made of, whether or not you want internet in the basement and your budget. Now a days it is getting increasingly easier to browse to websites without mom or wife finding out - usually using what is called Incognito mode on today's web browsers. There is a way to disable it on the iPhone and can be disabled using advanced steps on a computer. If you really don't trust yourself changing internal settings on your computer, I recommend a low-profile netnanny program.

Thanks
Amanda
Assistant Professor

For monitoring usage on all devices I like the ASUS DD-WRT models and I know a few others here do to. Also using the Merlin custom  firmware which is more stable with tweaks that help performance. No idea how well they work with Apple products though as they do things that often limit the user's ability to go outside their line of products when it comes to networking.

Sounds like you are also using only the 2.4 GHz band and not the 5 GHz with no intention of getting any 5 GHz compatible devices? Might not hurt to upgrade to a dual-band router to be future proof though. There are a LOT of options and things to consider when buying a new router.

Here are the ASUS models and note there is only one single band 2.4 GHz model that supports real time traffic monitoring:  http://www.asus.com/us/site/routers/DD-WRT/

I like the Linksys WRT 1900 AC it has the ability to block access to children's use times & you can get @ Best Buy for $171.99 !

HI, 

One specific tech question ADDITIONAL:

CAN one of these good routers monitor while in NOT-WIRELESS "HUB" mode?  Precisely, connected to more than one device with Ethernet (LAN) cable.

Most routers that I have seen have 4 ports for this and I do NOT want wireless broadcasting 24/7 and do not really need it.   

Also, I have been having A PHANTOM USAGE / DDDD long standing problem.   Not sure of the cause.  No one does.  But it is NOT fraud on this end.  Anyway,  would this sort of data monitoring thing help monitor // determine that CAUSE. 

I am interested in the OPPOSITE of sneaking around and hiding what I do and what URL's are visited.  If the NSA, Google, and others know our KEYSTROKES as they leave our fingers, why is it so difficult for US to access this info?  Any ideas?  Is there any other way other than this type of router? 

Thank you very much,

Larry Lewis
Nordman, Idaho

New Poster

I have a Netgear AC1750. Love it. At times I have Upto 8 Devices connected. It also has a meter that will track all of your gigabytes .

IMHO the easiest to setup router that provides detailed per device accounting (wired and wireless) would be the ASUS Dual-Band Wireless Router (RT-AC56U).

You can find these on Amazon and other websites for $100 or less.

http://amzn.com/B00DES2FQW

While twice the cost of some of the router options in the electronics aisle at a big box retailer, the accounting detail of usage for a satellite (or other capped broadband service) comes in handy when "something" exhausts your allotted bandwidth for a month.

Note: You'll see lower cost versions of this model but they might be refurbished. Just make sure you understand the return policy and costs for swapping if you have issues with the refurbished unit. Buying new from Amazon might cost a few more dollars but they are fairly liberal on returns for any issues you perceive with a purchase.

For anyone else looking for a prosumer style and very powerful monitoring capable router, I strongly recommend MikroTik and Ubiquiti -- hands down some of the best kit out there for the price/performance. Just realize that you'll be offloading the reporting to your own home lab most likely ;-)
Honorary Alumnus

CAN one of these good routers monitor while in NOT-WIRELESS "HUB" mode?  Precisely, connected to more than one device with Ethernet (LAN) cable.

Most routers that I have seen have 4 ports for this and I do NOT want wireless broadcasting 24/7 and do not really need it.   

Yes, and the wireless "radio" can be disabled so that there is no "radiation" of wireless RF energy.

Associate Professor

Oh, no doubt. I agree that they are pricey but IME they are pretty close to perfect in terms of management and performance if you are working from home more than just casual Internet use. YMMV.