cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Speed Test for tech support

Ricky
Tutor

Running Speed Test for tech support

A friend of mine recently upgraded to Gen5. They are only getting about 8 Mbps down. I have told them to run speed test 3 times a day, 5 test each time. Is the accepted site still testmy.net? I have read there are problems with it. So should I have them run them at speedtest.com? Also they only use Ipads on the Internet. Is that acceptable now? I think they do have a laptop that can be hooked up. Does it have to be directly connected to the Gen5 modem now to run the test?

7 REPLIES 7
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Running Speed Test for tech support

@Ricky

Lately, the reps have been requesting tests from alternate testing sites as testmy.net is/was having issues.  It seems the issues may be resolved at this point, but the reps haven't said to start using it again, so I would advise your friend to run some tests at speedtest.net or even HughesNet's own test, or really any test they wish.  I would avoid fast.com, though, as it gets tripped up by the Video Data Saver, and when you turn the VDS off fast.com can use a LOT of data for each test.  I would also avoid any downloaded speed testing apps, like speedtest's own app, as they seem to have problems with HughesNet's latency and can give really wacky results, like upload speeds of 20Mbps.  Smiley Tongue  

As for the connection, it should be a device that's directly connected to the modem with a LAN cable (no WiFi).  In addition, the WiFi should be disabled in the HT2000W while the tests are being run.  If you, or your friend, are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see section 6 of the following PDF...   

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1041318-0001_a.pdf

With this said, if they don't have a device that can be connected via LAN cable and they have to use something that's connected via WiFi, please ask them to make sure that they are near the HT2000W when they run the tests.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Ricky
Tutor

Thanks GabeU. I think what I will do is take my laptop down there and connect directly to run some test. I will then run some using their Ipads to see if there is a difference. I will run them on speedtest.net.

Ricky
Tutor

Can a mod confirm which speedtest HughesNet will accept? I do not want to waste their data and my time running test on a site not accecpted.

GabeU

@Ricky wrote:

Can a mod confirm which speedtest HughesNet will accept? I do not want to waste their data and my time running test on a site not accecpted.

AFAIK, Speedtest.net and HughesNet's own test are being accepted for speed tests due to the recent issues with testmy.net.  

With that said, though, I'll tag the reps so that they can tell you for sure, as I know how precious data is and how we'd rather not waste it.

@Liz

@Amanda

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Liz

Good morning,

According to the engineers, testmy.net is OK to use again. Thank you for checking!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

@Liz wrote:

Good morning,

According to the engineers, testmy.net is OK to use again. Thank you for checking! 

That's great news!  Speedtest would yell at you about your ad blocker sometimes, and if you had the ad blocker disabled up to eight ads would run on that site at the same time.  It's crazy.  Smiley Tongue  

Thanks.  

Ricky
Tutor

Thank you for the help folks! They should be posting their results next week, I hope.