cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running out of Data again

Assistant Professor

Re: Running out of Data again

Still confused because he said:
Once again I am going to run out of data this month.  So, I have finally decided that I need a plan with more data per month
I don't use the 10MB anytime data that I have now.
Freshman

Well, unfortunately the only plan in my area with Smart Browsing available is the Max plan for the mere sum of $129.99 per month!  No thank you. 

Still wish we had the old system with a daily allowance.  We rarely used up our data with that plan.  Never had much problems with speed, either.  This upgrade has only given me a headache since we installed it last fall. 

Freshman

Currently I am optimistic about this month's data usage.  11th day of the month and I still have 92% remaining.  I think I have figured out what my data drainage was all about and it is about the HughesNet home page.  With it's scrawling news feed and it's video ads always running, it was eating up my data constantly.  Now that I have set Google as my main page and downloaded Windows updates before 8 am, I am running very conservative data numbers.  We are doing just what we have always done before installing the Gen4 which is Ebay, general internet surfing, a few YouTube views, email and message boards.

Now that I have changed the home page, things are looking good right now.  Hope this continues for the rest of February.

Robert , anything with streaming  videos will eat you alive  in data  !!
Freshman

No, we don't stream any videos, other than my son with Autism downloading a 10 second video on YouTube with a movie logo on it.

This morning, I checked my bonus allowance, and it is right at 91% remaining with some updates this morning. So in reality, I have only used up 20% total in the first 11 days of the month since I have turned off the HughesNet home page.  I truly think that is a huge data drain with the new feed and those video ads I can't get rid of. 

sounds like you need a  ad blocker installed into your computer !!!!!
Alum

Robert,

Thanks for your reply. Here is a great post to read up on regarding unidentified data sources.
It gives good advice on things to watch out for.

It's definitely worth the read regarding data drain: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

- Warren

Morning , Warren ,hope you have a great day !!!

Hey Robert

your on the right track but Video can be blocked in Firefox and IE alike and it will ask if you want to allow it.  It is in the Manage ad-ons just ask flash or any multimedia to ask before opening
Alum

Thanks Christopher! Same to you..