Hughesnet Community

SLOW COMPUTER SPEED AND CONSTANT BUFFERING WHEN WE WATCH MOVIES (AMAZON PRIME....ON DEMAND)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BuggsandDaisy
New Poster

SLOW COMPUTER SPEED AND CONSTANT BUFFERING WHEN WE WATCH MOVIES (AMAZON PRIME....ON DEMAND)

I STARTED WITH HUGHES NET IN JANUARY....FIRST OF ALL I ORIGINALLY HAVE DISH...I DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE FROM THIS BECAUSE WE SUBSCRIBE TO MLB AND I DEFINITELY DO NOT WASNT TO DISRUPT MY HUSBANDS VIEWING OF HIS FAVORITE TEAM (OAK A'S) THIS IS ONE OF HIS FEW PLEASURES BECAUSE OF DEMENTIA AND CANCER >>>SO I CHANGED OUT OUR TELEPHONE SERVICE AND INTERNET AND GOT HUGHES NET...SO A SECOND DISH WAS PLACED ON OUR ROOF...THE CLOWN PUT THE DISH TO CLOSE TO THE ALREADY DISH...AND THIS KNOCKED OUT THE SERVICE FOR DISH.COM. WHEN I TOLD THE TECH HE SAID "OH I DON'T HAVE THE EQUIPMENT TO FIX THIS SORRY "   ...SO I CALLED DISH THEY CAME OUT AND IMMEDICATELY MOVED THEIR DISH....AND AFTER MUCH PLEADING DID NOT CHARGE ME FOR THIS  (WE ARE SENIORS ON A FIXED INCOME)   OK THEN FOR THE FIRST MONTH I CALLED HUGHES NET 6 TIMES  (ON THE PHONE FOR OVER 1 HOUR) BECAUSE OUR INTERNET WAS SO SLOW...AND BUFFERING CONSTANT....I TOLD THEM I WANTED THEIR EQUIPMENT REMOVED AND OF COURSE WAS TOLD I WOULD BE CHARGED $400.00  MIND YOU AT THIS TIME WE ONLY HAVE HAD HUGHES FOR LESS THEN 30 DAYS....SO THEY CHANGED SOME NUMBERS AT THEIR END ....I HAD TO DISCONNECT THE MODEM....BLAH BLAH BLAH.....SO I GUESS I AM SCREWED...I AM STUCK WITH  THIS POOR SERVICE FOR 2 YEARS....OH AND WHEN I CALL THE FIRST THING IS "WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE"   DUH  ...WE LIVE IN THE NORTHWEST....EVEN ON A CLEAR DAY NO RAIN. NO CLOUDS...STILL AN ISSUE....THEIR SERVICE IS TERRIBLE....I WILL CANCEL HULU BECAUSE I CANNOT EVEN GET THIS SITE TO COME UP...AND WILL PROBABLY CANCEL PRIME VIDEO...BECAUSE IT IS JUST A WASTE OF MONEY....

2 REPLIES 2
Ricky
Tutor

My 1st thought is you are subject to the FAP. If you click here http://192.168.0.1/#!/usage are both boxes green at the top?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@BuggsandDaisy 

If you are not out of data and in FAP (if both boxes at the top of the page mentioned by Ricky are green), please run a few speed tests using the following protocol to determine whether the cause of your issue is slow speed.  Again, only run the following tests is you are NOT out of data.   

When you reply, please do not do so with ALL CAPS, as using ALL CAPS is annoying and makes posts difficult to read.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 12MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen4 Service Plan
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site (due to being an older site, the stated test sizes are incorrect for Gen5 (please use the test sizes listed in the instructions above, in bold, for Gen5)).

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).