cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLOW download & "broken satellite" story

Freshman

Re: SLOW download & "broken satellite" story

I just clicked on ALL the Uxxx beam coverages.  Looks like  U068 & U084 are the only two possibilities.  I'm on the third band on each, one at the north end, the other at the south.  Circles must be where you're getting projected signal strength from.

Sophomore

Deleted

Freshman

OK, so 2 dB per circle.  And every 3 dB is half power.  I suppose the home equipment is aways running full gain.  I don't find any parameter in the router access page that indicates signal strength.  Too bad.  My DirecTV system has one. 

Assistant Professor

If you're talking about the variation between the last few tests, a lot can vary over time depending upon usage load on the beam, as well as at the ground station.

As far as how the multiple beam - multiple ground station thing works, the system is designed to have geographically dispersed ground stations (~17 or so) across the west coast so that bad weather in one spot doesn't bring down everyone on the network. Each ground station is assigned as many as 9 spot beams, but as few as 5 for those with beams that cover dense populations areas. The goal is to try to level the load as best as possible across all four time zones and geographic areas so peak demand isn't all at the time, and is optimized as best as possible.

You can think of each beam as a router, where total bandwidth is split amongst all the users in the spot beam. The combination of each beam is then multiplexed like another router, also splitting bandwith. Then all of that is muxed again at the ground station, acting like another massive router to the internet provider. Depending on how subscribers are using their part of the network and the number of them active at one time, speed is going to vary greatly.

For example, getting email is less intense than someone streaming a movie - just based upon the number of pings and the sheer synchronous timing of how streaming works under a 500ms minimally latent system (it's actually a lot more complex than that). The higher the ping demand at that time, the slower your instantaneous speed is going to be. Latency can also increase depending upon server load and processing time, also making overall speed levels slower.

Bottom line: Speed isn't going to be linear on this kind of network because instantaneous demand isn't linear.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Assistant Professor

@Don23805 wrote:

OK, so 2 dB per circle.  And every 3 dB is half power.  I suppose the home equipment is aways running full gain.  I don't find any parameter in the router access page that indicates signal strength.  Too bad.  My DirecTV system has one. 

If you go to System Status there will be a thing at the bottom that says WAN Info, Satellite Receive Strength. This is actually a Signal Quality Factor, and is kind of like an inverse bit error rate. It's not really a signal level, but can be thought of that for all intents and purposes.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Sophomore

Deleted
Highlighted
Sophomore

Deleted

Freshman

If I check download speed at the myhughesnet site, I get numbers like 0.3 Mbps, reflective of the dirt slow response I'm seeing.  But if I use the testmy.net site, touted by the HN staff here, I see rates of 11 - 13 Mbps, which would be pretty acceptable.  Why the disparity, and what good is a tool that gives only good news when the experienced rate is anything but?

Are we going to be getting any updates on what's wrecking the HN service, or is it just "you'll know it when it's fixed"?

Don

Distinguished Professor IV

@Don23805 wrote:

If I check download speed at the myhughesnet site, I get numbers like 0.3 Mbps, reflective of the dirt slow response I'm seeing.  But if I use the testmy.net site, touted by the HN staff here, I see rates of 11 - 13 Mbps, which would be pretty acceptable.  Why the disparity, and what good is a tool that gives only good news when the experienced rate is anything but?

Are we going to be getting any updates on what's wrecking the HN service, or is it just "you'll know it when it's fixed"?

Don

The Hughes test keeps running successive tests until one lasts long enough, then gives the result of the speed occurring at the end of that last test.  TMN (testmy) allows a set size to be used with every test (which is required for troubleshooting).  It's a size that gives ample testing time, and the average of the speed across that test is the result that's given.  That result being an average is the biggest difference between the two test's results.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

The Hughes test seems to more accurately reflect the situation. And the second part is who is doing what and what's the progress?  This board seems full of Sloooow issues.  At least there are knowledgeable HN staff  here rather than the **bleep** who answer the CS phone lines.  Getting a rebate is fine, but it doesn't fix anything.  And it's not encouraging that you're talking 6 months worth.  Is the other beam that covers my location possibily better, and how does one arrange to try that out?  I'm on 84, but 68 looks like an equal possibility.

Don