cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Issue

SMTP Issue

Ok, got an odd one for you that is causing me to scratch my head. Problem started about 6 days ago and I have been trying to troubleshoot it and so far all indications are it is something within Hughesnet.

Suddenly, I cannot get SMTP traffic out using any device connected to the HN9000. Any mail sent does not go through. Both my main computer running Win 7 Ultimate and Opera Mail and my wife's laptop running Win Vista and Thunderbird can no longer send or reply to mail.

I know it is NOT a mail server issue, because using the exact same mail accounts on my iPhone or iPad I can send mail through with no problem when they are isolated to an AT&T network and don't go through the HN9000. If I try to use them through the HN9000 mail will not send.

I do run my own mail servers and have checked the logs there and the connection is not being made to the mail server. It is getting blocked somewhere along the line.

I did run a log function on my Opera Mail and it shows the SMTP connection just timing out. It never connects to anything.

I have rebooted everything including the HN9000 a number of times, and also tried running direct from my desktop to the HN9000 and no luck there either. 

Given that this only happens with SMTP traffic going through the HN9000 and given that I have had similar problems in the past with different protocols being blocked from time to time,  I am so far 99% certain it is something in the Hughesnet network configuration.

Anyone have any insight?

Eric
9 REPLIES 9

Re: SMTP Issue

Check out this notice from a week ago:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/having-trouble-sending-or-receiving-email-try-swi...
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com

Hi Eric,

We actually made some changes 6 days ago (exactly) to our SMTP traffic. To follow in the footsteps of other major providers, we are now using Port 587 for all outgoing SMTP traffic. If you have not made the change, it is best to do so. Alan has provided you the correct link with more detailed information. Please let us know if changing your outgoing ports to 587 does not resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Amanda

Ok, read through the notice and I think we have a disconnect here.

As I mentioned in my post, I don't use hughesnet for email, at all. I have my own accounts on my own mail server and that's what I use exclusively. I tried your fix anyway and as I suspected, it didn't work for me as my servers are looking for SMTP traffic on port 25.

Tuesday is just about when the problem started, so I'm guessing that is the cause of my issues. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Hi Eric,

If your servers are trying to push through port 25, they will not make it out, as that port is officially closed. Regardless if you use a 3rd party e-mail or HughesNet e-mail, the port closure still stands. Your servers will need to be sending out through 587, or anything other than 25 for you to be able to successfully send out.

Thanks
Amanda

Ouch! Wow, this is certainly going to cause me some significant issues if I now have to switch all my server configurations over to use that port just to accommodate my using Hughesnet. I'm going to check with my network guy and see how much of an headache this is going to be, but man...

Just exactly how did this "notice" about this get sent out to everyone?

Eric,

Our community members were notified here on the community ahead of time - however HughesNet e-mail users should have no impact if they are using our webmail application. Customer's using 3rd party programs (at their own discretion) are the only ones affected. Network management practices are outlined on our website: http://legal.hughesnet.com/NetworkManagement.cfm

Thanks
Amanda

can i get the link that explains how to change ports.  I went to my properties and changed port from 25 to 587 but it still isnt working.  dont know if i did everything i needed to do
Honorary Alumnus

What email client program are you using ?
Highlighted

window live mail