Hughesnet Community

STILL Not getting promised service- So MAD and Frustrated!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VickyA
Sophomore

STILL Not getting promised service- So MAD and Frustrated!

I tried to add to my previous message but could not continue so had to start a new one.

Here we are on November 15, TWO MONTHS since my initial complaint. And I am sure no one is surprised to know that nothing has changed on my end. For a while I had thought something was going to be done to help me but then it came to an abrupt stop. I was contacted by a gentleman named "Art" who genuinely wanted to help. We ran test after test after test with each result showing the same:  something is not right with my service!  Art (and Austin) agreed that it was time to "escalate your problem to Advanced Tech".  This was on October 24, 2019. After no calls from "Engineering" as it was referred to by Art and Austin, I called Customer Service on November 1st. After a lengthy discussion and refusal to transfer me to Engineering, "Deserea" put me on hold to contact Engineering herself.  The result was that "Jane Serrate" would call me within an hour.  Never talked to her. In her defense, I will say that on that very day my old number port request came thru so she may have tried. Since then I have called and asked that my account reflect the correct number with the promise that Engineering would be notified. As of my latest call on November 13 I have still not heard. I have even tried emailing Gabe direct with no response. I am so sick of nothing being done. ALL of my devices, with the exception of my cell, have the internet turned off. And yet whether full data or throttle, my speeds are the same:  slow and slower. If nothing is done soon I am going to call my bank and have withdrawals from HughesNet blocked until fixed. I am done with the run around. I refuse to pay for a service that I am not getting. HughesNet is well aware that there is a problem at my residence and doing nothing about it.

36 REPLIES 36
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Before you block payment and mess up your credit and end up in collections, give @Damian or another mod a chance to look into this.

Good to know I caught someone's attention! I am patiently awaiting results.

Hello @VickyA,

Thank you for contacting us again. Your diagnostics are almost identical to the last time we ran them, as far as speeds and functionality are concerned. I do see that you have exceeded your monthly data allotment, and are currently receiving reduced speeds. I understand you feel as though the speeds are slow indefinitely, but it is true that streaming issues are experienced more during throttled periods. At this time, I believe it would be best to go over different streaming methods since this appears to be the specific issue you are experiencing. You can also reference some of the tips already provided in our previous conversations. 

If you would like to wait for results to be found from your escalated case instead, I completely understand and appreciate your patience while this is being investigated. Once we have information on this, you will be notified, and the number you provided in your recent case will be the point of contact.   

-Damian   

GabeU

@VickyA wrote:

I have even tried emailing Gabe direct with no response.  

I've never given out my email address.  If you're referring to Private Messaging through this community, I've checked my inbox for the last two months and I don't see one.

Did you try turning off, or pausing, the Video Data Saver while streaming?

VickyA
Sophomore

Hi Damian & Gabe.

I gave up on Netflix and Hulu a long time ago. I disconnected my AppleTV back in September. So streaming suggestions do not apply. My computer is powered off until I need it. If working online I do what needs to be done and then off it goes immediately. The internet stays off if I am working off line. Same goes for my Kindle Fire. The only devise that is online 24/7 is my cell phone and that is only because I live so far out of service I have to use WiFi Calling.  And that only works for texting. Calls do not work. I only keep it on because I live out of state from family and texting is my only contact connection.  Otherwise it would be off too. So for the most part the internet is turned off until needed and yet my data lasts only half the month. It  does not matter if I have full data or throttle. The buffering is still the same. When not being throttled I am taken TO a website quicker but then I sit and wait while the actual content is buffered in. My data is getting consumed by buffering. Please try to contact Art as he has worked with me and  understands and agrees with my issues. We lost contact when he turned my case over to Engineering. Thanks.

VickyA

GabeU

@VickyA 

With "buffering", are you referring to web pages taking time to fully load all items?  The reason I ask is that "buffering" is normally a term used for streaming, when the video pauses to load more data.  

If it is the web pages, them taking time to fully load all of the items doesn't use more data, it just takes longer for them to fully load.  It uses the same amount of data either way.  A 100KB picture is going to take 100KB to load, whether it finishes loading right away or after everything else.

As for running out of data, one or more of your devices is assuredly using the data.  You can see what devices are connected, and what devices were connected, but are no longer, since the last time the modem was powered up, here.  Keep in mind that, with some devices, OFF doesn't actually mean OFF, but rather Standby, and still connected, and still possibly using data.  Anything's possible, but the trick is drilling down to what is actually consuming the most amount of data.  

Are you using the Cloud with any of your devices, including your phone, whether it be the Microsoft Cloud or the iCloud, as Cloud connections can chew through data like crazy. It would also be a good idea to install data usage monitoring apps/programs on your devices in order to know exactly how much data each device is using.  Glasswire is the one most often recommended for Windows PCs, and they have an Android version now.  They're free.  Other products have similar apps, though I'm only familiar with those two, as I only have Windows PCs and an Android phone.

I'm sure Damian will have information that will help when he gets the results from your case.

Hi Gabe. 

My reference to buffering is watching the arrow spin and spin and spin.  Thanks for the tips on my cell phone. I know there is a Verizon cloud but I did not activate it. I will look into any further draining apps. 

Looking fwd to hearing from Damian.I

VickyA

@VickyA,

It appears our engineers have been attempting to reach out to you with updates regarding your issue. While I cannot see specific details of the results, I'm sure they will be documented once it is discussed with you. In the meantime, I believe  @GabeU has provided great information on what could be causing this and steps to take to relive buffering while streaming. I also checked the devices connected to your network and it appears the Amazon devices is using the most data on average.  When it comes to slow speeds while browsing, I am confident this will be tackled once you speak with our engineers. 

-Damian 

Hi Damian,

I have advised several times that afternoon calls are best for me but for some reason no one is listening.  I received a voicemail timed at 10:21 AM.  When I listened to the message this afternoon, as my luck would have it, I accidentally pressed "7" for delete. I still have the number on caller I. D. but am disgusted with myself as I do not have the name and extension number that she left me. I plan to call the number back in hopes of finding g the correct department. 

As far as my Amazon Kindle. Yes you will show that usage because everything else is powered off except my cell phone. I use it mostly for reading and when I do the internet is turned of.  When I want to use the internet I turn it on and then back off again when done. My Apple TV has been unplugged for several weeks and my computer turned off 99% of the month. You are showing Amazon with the most usage because it is the ONLY devise I use for internet. My cell phone is connected only for texting on Wi-Fi calling. I can't even call or receive calls on my cell. So yes Amazon will show the most usage. But in my perspective it is the only devise I use.  

I hope this clears that up. Cross your fingers that I can right my wrong tomorrow with the engineer.

And may I make a suggestion?  They need to do better with the caller I.D. from engineering.  It just showed "Anaheim CA".  With all the spam calls that I receive, and seeing a "704" area code, I may not have answered even if I were here in the morning. Just a suggestion.

Thanks to you and to Gabe for all of your ongoing patience and help.

VickyA

Damian or Gabe,

I tried to call the Engineering num we on my phone called I.D.  It rings three times and then drops to busy signal. Guessing not a call back number.  Is there any way you can contact them and ask for me to be called again? 

And just a heads up. I will be leaving for the holiday on Tuesday, November 26 and will not be returning until Sunday, December 15. 

Thanks

VickyA

maratsade

Gabe is not a Hughesnet employee, so he wouldn't be able to help with your question.  @Damian is an employee and could look into this for you. 

@VickyA wrote:

Damian or Gabe,

I tried to call the Engineering num we on my phone called I.D.  It rings three times and then drops to busy signal. Guessing not a call back number.  Is there any way you can contact them and ask for me to be called again? 

And just a heads up. I will be leaving for the holiday on Tuesday, November 26 and will not be returning until Sunday, December 15. 

Thanks

VickyA

GabeU

@VickyA 

Like maratsade explained, I'm not an employee, but rather a fellow HughesNet subscriber.  With that said, I think you're right about the number that shows up in the Caller ID, in that it's not a call back number, though it's been a number of years since I've personally dealt with Level 4 tech support.  

Hopefully Damian will be on this evening in order to be able to help with the contact.  🙂  

Thanks for clarifying that. I will wait to hear from Damian.

Kudos Gabe!

@VickyA,

I am sorry to hear this. I have created an internal case to let our engineers know that you are only able to receive calls in the afternoon and that any earlier will not be answered. It also appears they have already scheduled a callback for the 23rd. I am confident our engineers will see this case before the 23rd, and adjust their time.      

-Damian  

Thanks Damian. If you are talking the 23rd as being this Saturday I will make sure I am here for the call.

VickyA

Damian,

On Tuesday, 11/26/19, I left my home to be away for a week. When I left, my computer was turned off and Apple TV is still unplugged.  I brought my Kindle and cell phone with me. I am telling you this because today, December 3, 2019, I went online and found that I have 98% data remaining. I know it is only 2%, but nobody is home and everything is turned off. I left on the 26th and my data gets renewed on the 27th.  I will be returning this evening and would have expected to still be at 100%.  Where did the data go? 

Thanks,

VickyA

GabeU

@VickyA 

Though Damian will likely reply, just in case he doesn't, when you get home this evening, and with a device that is connected to the modem, go to this page.  This page will show you what is and what was, and what may still be, connected to the modem.  Make sure not to unplug modem before looking at this page, as unplugging it will wipe out the logged info.  

This way you can narrow down what the culprit is.  Chances are very good that something you either weren't aware of or don't remember was connected and used the data.  

Hopefully you'll hear from Damian or someone else before then, but just in case you don't, take a look at that page.

@VickyA ,

When attempting to review the devices that may have used this data, it appears the modem was reset and the history of devices connected has been cleared. I am only able to see the ATA unit currently, which does not count against your data expenditure. If you had a chance to check before the reset occurred, please let us know what you were able to find. 

-Damian 

Damian & Gabe,

I opened your responses too late!!! 😤

But I have another trip planned next week if you want to make note to check from your end. Please feel free to check anytime between December 7th and December 15th.  I will try to remember to look when I get home. Thanks so much!

Damian,

I left my home again on December 5th. Everything was turned off. Kindle and cell phone went with me. I returned today (16th) to find that I am at 82%!! I was on my computer on Dec 3rd to pay bills and then shut it down. On Dec 4th I was in and out running last minute errands and packing. I left on the 5th. Something is wrong somewhere and I cannot believe the beam is using my data! Please help!