Hughesnet Community

STILL Not getting promised service- So MAD and Frustrated!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VickyA
Sophomore

STILL Not getting promised service- So MAD and Frustrated!

I tried to add to my previous message but could not continue so had to start a new one.

Here we are on November 15, TWO MONTHS since my initial complaint. And I am sure no one is surprised to know that nothing has changed on my end. For a while I had thought something was going to be done to help me but then it came to an abrupt stop. I was contacted by a gentleman named "Art" who genuinely wanted to help. We ran test after test after test with each result showing the same:  something is not right with my service!  Art (and Austin) agreed that it was time to "escalate your problem to Advanced Tech".  This was on October 24, 2019. After no calls from "Engineering" as it was referred to by Art and Austin, I called Customer Service on November 1st. After a lengthy discussion and refusal to transfer me to Engineering, "Deserea" put me on hold to contact Engineering herself.  The result was that "Jane Serrate" would call me within an hour.  Never talked to her. In her defense, I will say that on that very day my old number port request came thru so she may have tried. Since then I have called and asked that my account reflect the correct number with the promise that Engineering would be notified. As of my latest call on November 13 I have still not heard. I have even tried emailing Gabe direct with no response. I am so sick of nothing being done. ALL of my devices, with the exception of my cell, have the internet turned off. And yet whether full data or throttle, my speeds are the same:  slow and slower. If nothing is done soon I am going to call my bank and have withdrawals from HughesNet blocked until fixed. I am done with the run around. I refuse to pay for a service that I am not getting. HughesNet is well aware that there is a problem at my residence and doing nothing about it.

36 REPLIES 36
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@VickyA 

Just make sure to NOT unplug or reboot the modem before a rep has the chance to look at the logs.  I'm sure they'll be able to tell you what it was that used your data.

You may be able to see yourself, as well, by looking on this page.

@VickyA,

After monitoring your account from the 4th to the 16th, I was unable to locate any devices using data for this period of time. This means that there may indeed be a data leak somewhere and will require the help of our engineers to investigate. In order to have this issue investigated and escalated, please run a Modem Isolation Test. Information on this process is can be found by reviewing this link https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Where-s-my-bytes-Testing-for-data-leaks/m-p/77194#M5.... After you post your results, I will have this escalated          

-Damian    

@VickyA,

Please make sure you also disable the WiFi during this test. Instructions on how to do this can be found here https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Turning-off-built-in-wifi/td-p/75043

-Damian 

Damian,

I have performed test as you suggested. For some reason I cannot upload my screenshots here.  Can you give me some help?  I tried copy/paste, upload photos.....I don't know what I am doing wrong??

VickyA

Damian,

I hope this works!

Thanks!

VickyA

12/21/19 @ 10:09 PM

Screenshot_2019-12-21-22-07-59.png

12/22/19 @ 12:09 PM

Screenshot_2019-12-22-12-10-13.png

GabeU

@VickyA 

For some reason your screenshots are not working.  

I don't know what kind of system you're on, but for me, with Windows and using Chrome, I click on the Photo button in the options, then click Choose Files, then navigate to where I've saved the screenshots or snapshots.  I then click on the screenshot to select it, then click Open.  It then uploads the picture to the system.  I then click Done and it adds the screenshot to the message body.  You should see then see the picture on the screen, even before you click Post to post your reply.  I then do the same for the rest.  

I'm going to add one of my own to this reply, just to make sure they're working and it's not the system that is causing your screenshots to not show properly.

Capture1.png

12/21/19 @ 10:09 PM12/21/19 @ 10:09 PM12/22/19 @ 12:09 PM12/22/19 @ 12:09 PM

GabeU

@VickyA 

Seeing that you're posting pictures from a phone, are you being sure to completely disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while running the modem isoation test? 

Unfortunately, the modem isolotion test instructions pointed to are fairly outdated and need to be updated to reflect the proper procedure to use when one has the HT2000W modem (i.e. taking the snapshots after the WiFi has been disabled and before it's re-enabled, resepctively, and from a LAN cable connected device).  Still, I'm sure Damian will be able to see what used data, if anything, in between those two time periods.  Just make sure you don't unplug or reboot the modem before he does.

maratsade

"Unfortunately, the modem isolation test instructions pointed to are fairly outdated and need to be updated"

YES, that's for sure. I hope the mods will be able to do this soon. Maybe put an intern on the task? 🙂

Instructions were vague. Turns out I disabled modum afterwards. Will have to do it again. I am going away for the holidays tomorrow afternoon through next week. Will you (Damian) be able to get any results while I am gone?

VickyA

GabeU

@VickyA 

Though you may not need to do it again, depending on what Damian can glean from the results, just in case you do, I'll post the full and updated test instructions below.  The instructions are from a saved macro, so they may seem a bit impersonal.  Also, judging by what I've seen here today, it's likely that the reps, nicluding Damian, are off, so you may not hear anything until at least Thursday.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please perform the following test outlined in the graphic below, though follow the full instructions written below the graphic. This is known as a Modem Isolation Test, and it will help to determine whether the issue is with HughesNet or your local network..

photo P2hSeDN.jpg

1: Disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem.
2: Take a screen capture of the HughesNet Usage Meter, along with the clock on your computer screen.
3: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem, noting the date and time of disconnect.
4: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours. HughesNet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work. DO NOT unplug the modem from the power. The modem must remain powered.
5: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem, noting the date and time of reconnect.
6: Take a screen capture of the HughesNet Usage Meter, along with the clock displayed on your computer.
7: Post your screenshots to the community.

Do not unplug, power cycle or internally reboot the modem after the test has been run, as the reps need to be able to reconcile your modem data logs with what is shown in the screenshots. Any of those three things will wipe out those logs, rendering the test results moot. Only after the reps have responded with their findings should any of those three things be done.

Please be aware that, if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, some usage may appear to have occurred due to the slight delay in the modem reporting the data usage to the server, but it should be rather negligible.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

BobbieN
New Poster

I live in a rural area so Hughes Net was about my only option for internet. I wanted to be able to stream movies from Netflix or Prime. I have had my service since October 2018. I was told, and I quote, "the military uses Hughes and even the slowest speeds will stream Netflix." WRONG!!! It doesn't matter the time of the month, I can't stream movies. Constant buffering. Yes, I went through all the tech mumbo jumbo with nothing changing. A lot of times my computer doesn't want to load simple pages or a game I play. My son doesn't seem to have problems with his PlayStation (that I know of.) Moral of the story...unfortunately I have to keep paying for a service I can't use for what I wanted it for until October 2020. I get better streaming if I hotspot my cell phone.
maratsade

Bobbie, I can stream just fine at relatively low speed, and so can others.  You may have other issues that are affecting your ability to stream (such as congestion, or specific settings on devices).   If you would like help from this community troubleshooting you system and finding solutions, I suggest that you go to the Tech Support page and click on "Start a topic," then provide some detail about what's going on.  What data package do you have? What time of the day do you try to stream?  What devices do you use to stream?  Have you tried turning off the Video Data Saver and see if that improves the experience?  

I had a gentleman from tech tell me to turn on video data saver. I work 2nd shift so I am trying to stream at 1:30 in the morning. As I said, I have been on the phone with tech over this issue. No help. I don't know if the fact that there were issues when mine was installed has anything to do with it.

Also my computer is connected on the 2G (it won't connect to the 5G) my tv is connected to the 5G.
maratsade

Yeah, we need to figure out what's going on here. Would you mind starting a new topic  under Tech Support? Just click on "Start a new topic." It'll help visibility and increase the chances of prompt help if you have your own thread.