cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safari can't connect to server

Professor

Re: Safari can't connect to server

To quote posts, use the quote button located above the box you type in.

You should follow the instructions for clearing DNS problems that were given upthread by Mark:

To clear a possible DNS problem:
1. Turn all of the devices using the modem off (all phones, iPads, computers, etc.)

2. Unplug the modem's power from the wall socket.

3. Wait a minute, then plug the modem back in.

4. Wait about 5 minutes after all the lights on the modem are back on, then turn all your devices on one-by-one.

sli-er_15 wrote:

How do I quote posts on here?

Just tried flushing the dns cache of my Mac laptop using instructions I found online using Terminal and connecting the modem directly to the laptop. Got the same Safari can't connect to server error. I didn't bother trying it with my wife's latop. 
Any other ideas I should try?

Assistant Professor

I run a MBP with Parallels VMs of Fedora 30 and Win10.

Just flushing the DNS in the Mac won't solve the problem if the cached DNS in the modem is corrupted, nor will it prevent re-corrupting it from any other cached DNS that's corrupted somewhere else on the LAN.

The only sure way to kill a corrupted DNS that exists on your LAN is the method I prescribed.

That said, it may not be the problem, I'm just saying this is how to ensure it isn't.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Freshman

Is your system still running bad, Sli-er?

Mine cleared up almost exactly 48 hours after the problems began, at about 7AM Eastern US time this morning, and is currently running as good, or maybe even better than usual.  Maybe  'the engineers' were working on the 7000 system over the weekend, and had it crippled, rather than doing it during the week so as to not interfere with people who need it for business.???

Anyway, I hope yours is working good now too.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@sli-er_15 wrote:

In addition to the instructions maratsade gave, make sure to click Reply on the specific post you're wanting to quote, as you can only quote from the post you're replying to.

Also, if you want to quote only a specific part of a post, make sure to first type at least a word or even gibberish in the field below the quote, as if you quote the post, then delete part of the quote you don't want to include without having first typed something below the quote field, you won't be able to get back below the quote field to type your reply to the post and you'll be stuck within the quote field itself.  

IOW....

@sli-er_15 wrote:

Just tried flushing the dns cache of my Mac laptop using instructions I found online using Terminal and connecting the modem directly to the laptop. Got the same Safari can't connect to server error. I didn't bother trying it with my wife's latop. 

Type something here (in the field below what you quoted (the quote field has that light grey bar down the left side of it)) before going into the quote to alter it.  Then, after altering the quote, like I did at the top with yours (I deleted everything from your quote but the quote question itself), you can come back down to this part and reply however you want.  If you don't type something here first, you'll not be able to type here after you alter the quote, and you'll be stuck within quote field, making what you reply look like it's a part of the quote.    

I hope I didn't confuse you too much.  Smiley Happy   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

@maratsade wrote:

To quote posts, use the quote button located above the box you type in.

You should follow the instructions for clearing DNS problems that were given upthread by Mark:

To clear a possible DNS problem:
1. Turn all of the devices using the modem off (all phones, iPads, computers, etc.)

2. Unplug the modem's power from the wall socket.

3. Wait a minute, then plug the modem back in.

4. Wait about 5 minutes after all the lights on the modem are back on, then turn all your devices on one-by-one.

sli-er_15 wrote:

Oy.. I didn't see the quote button. 
Thanks for the instructions. I did try it and at the time it didn't work but since the next day everything seems to be back to normal. Just an occasional "Safari can't connect to server" whenever I try opening sites for the first time that a refresh opens fine afterwards.

Freshman

@MarkJFine wrote:

I run a MBP with Parallels VMs of Fedora 30 and Win10.

Just flushing the DNS in the Mac won't solve the problem if the cached DNS in the modem is corrupted, nor will it prevent re-corrupting it from any other cached DNS that's corrupted somewhere else on the LAN.

The only sure way to kill a corrupted DNS that exists on your LAN is the method I prescribed.

That said, it may not be the problem, I'm just saying this is how to ensure it isn't.

Thank you,Mark. I'll keep that in mind for the next time.

Freshman

@Silviron wrote:

Is your system still running bad, Sli-er?

Mine cleared up almost exactly 48 hours after the problems began, at about 7AM Eastern US time this morning, and is currently running as good, or maybe even better than usual.  Maybe  'the engineers' were working on the 7000 system over the weekend, and had it crippled, rather than doing it during the week so as to not interfere with people who need it for business.???

Anyway, I hope yours is working good now too.

Yes, it's been back to normal about that time as yours I think. Interesting that someone from HughesNet havent explained on here if they did in fact worked on the 7000 system.

Hi sli-er_15,

No reports from engineering regarding these older systems.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->