cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe Software Dowload Sites or please post Links to go to

Safe Software Dowload Sites or please post Links to go to

What is a Safe site, or place to find Links to download software Safely? I just went to what I thought was a safe site to download software Foxfire, All I got was Popups, even with Adblock enabled.

Now I have run several Scans Both w/Microsoft Security Essentials, and Their Safety scanner, Even Kaspersky Labs, No Viruses, Unwanted software, or Malware Detected!

So now please advise, can someone tell me where to go or post some Links here for these programs? Thanks in advance Ron
28 REPLIES 28
Associate Professor

Re: Safe Software Dowload Sites or please post Links to go to

Best place to get Firefox is from their website...  Best place to get software period is from the authors respective websites...

Here is a direct link to Firefox, https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/?utm_source=firefox-com&utm_medium=referral

I suggest downloading, installing, and running Malwarebytes Free Edition from here to check for malware as Microsoft Security Essentials isn't that great at detecting malware, and Kaspersky can miss quiet a bit of malware that acts as browser add-ons. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/var2/confirm/

All I'm getting using IE w/Google is an error Message Page is not responding, The last Time I loaded Firefox same thing so I'm thing maybe the site I was Using? Maybe a redirected site? Seems like it's Happening here and on Facebook the most often?

Firefox or Foxfire?
Associate Professor

It sounds like you have a serious malware infection if your getting redirects and constant advertisement pop-ups when visiting sites, as Facebook, Firefox, and this website AFAIK have no popups at all.

If I'm not mistaken, you can use another computer and install Malware Bytes on a flash drive, move the flash drive to the infected computer and launch it from the flash drive. If necessary there is a chameleon mode that will "sneak" past the virus and scan the computer. Long ago I used Malware Bytes this way to clean a computer and I think the program is still portable and can launch from the flash drive. Worth a try.

Yes I've done the Flash drive to install Adblock, Sally could be either? Charles Thank you I'll try those soon, You folks are the best!

Not continually, Just being cautious I'm running great most of the time! Data usage is finally in check, well satisfied this month, hope it continues! 

Charles Great Job, every time I try and load these so called free trials, they windup asking to be Paid to fix my Issues, this one seemed to fly, I may look into actually Buying the Pro edition! Thanks, now let's see if this continues to help solve my Problem! Thanks again! Ron

Hey Ron

The best thing is when you download something is look for the custom install.  Most things will have that choice if not beware.  During custom install choose only the item you want,  there is usually browser add ons, search engines, and other pork in every install.  Learn to weed them out before the install.