cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe Software Dowload Sites or please post Links to go to

Re: Safe Software Dowload Sites or please post Links to go to

Yes, I've had browser's change, unwanted ad ons, and tool bars added also, I' be learned how to avoid them, and chosen to move on if I can't. The down loads I've gotten here are not as complicated, the auto run on malwarebits is great, no addons I've found yet! This forum is almost paying for itself, with this forum I feel I have the elite squad, not the Geek Squad in my home office, and seem to be here 24/7! Thanks guys for all your help
Associate Professor

Looked like you had a good chunk of malware class objects on that machine.  The paid version really isn't all that great, just has a realtime scanner built in, and runs on a schedule.  I personally run the program manually once a week on my machines just to check things out, usually I turn up clean.

I use filehippo for my downloads and updates on the programs. I've used them for years now and never a problem!

http://www.filehippo.com/

Yes, looks good for now, I too run MS Security Best. At least once a week. O guess those weren't detected? Let me know if you have other tips, thanks Ron

Thanks! I'm starting to feel at home!

Smiley Happy Your most welcome Ron!

Hi Ron,

We hope you're getting some helpful suggestions! Malwarebytes is a reputable tool and widely used. Good to see you are being proactive about keeping your network clean!!

Have a good one,
Amanda
Honorary Alumnus

Ron,

Its really hard to give a hard answer to your question.

Getting on the Internet is a lot like walking down the Vegas Strip.

You have to be careful.

Many of the "old standbys" like "download.com" and "FileHippo" have went over to the Dark Side.

They have "wrappers" on their downloaders. At times this can be avoided by, as mentioned earlier, by doing a CUSTOM install.

For the most part, always try to download directly from the "publisher". Example, you could download Firefox from a third party (Cnet ?) or directly from mozzila,org.

Gwalk900, you are so rigth about download.com.  In the past it could be trusted but no longer. My son downloaded trusted photo resizer program that he had used in the past. On his new laptop he decided to download it from download. com.  The program had no custom download option, nor any checkboxes to prevent nasty stuff from being added. (at least none that were obvious). The result? Total chaos. He had to totally wipe down his system and re-install windows, losing all of his recently installed programs. He was livid.
Assistant Professor

MajorGeeks and Softpedia, they at least warn you to use the custom installation if adware, browser search engine and other junk might be in the installer.