cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe Software Dowload Sites or please post Links to go to

Honorary Alumnus

Re: Safe Software Dowload Sites or please post Links to go to

This brings up another point: A proper Backup Strategy

All but the smallest form factor desktop computers and many laptops ... have room to hold a second hard drive.

Having a second drive means that you can set most version of Windows to automatically make backups in two forms.

A "system Image" and an "incremental file backup"

A system image is a complete compressed "copy" of your entire main hard drive ... the whole thing.

A Incremental backup  is the difference (the changes) to the computers files from the point of the last system image to what is on the computer right now with "now" being the frequency to which you have the system (in the background) perform this service.

I have my system set to make a new IMAGE  every two weeks, and to do an incremental  every 6 hrs.

If I have a "failure" of some sort .. drive failure, malware, a Windows Update gone bad ... I only need load the last IMAGE and the differences from the Incremental, and I am never going to lose more than 6 hours.

The same can be done with a external drive but you have to remember to hook up the drive and perform the operation or use a network drive.

The good thing about a second internal drive is you never have to think about it, you never have to interfere and the drives are relatively inexpensive and easy to install. Four screws and two keyed cables.

Assistant Professor

Yep, imaging is the best way to go. I have a USB 3.0 My Passport drive and that sucker is fast! Can full image 250GB in about 45 minutes.
Honorary Alumnus

Thanks,

I too have used both of them. Tough to remember the "good" ones.

Honorary Alumnus

It has saved my bacon more than once.

240 GB Intel SSD and a 500 GB regular as a second drive in my 18.4" Toshiba laptop.

About 40 minutes from a Windows Update disaster to up and running and up to date.

To those unfamiliar, a System Image is not to be confused with a System Restore.

It's really pathetic that what was once considered trusted or "good" companies have now resorted to pups, etc. Even anti-virus software companies are now resorting to such things in order to pad their pocketbooks. I refuse to deal with companies whenever possible, even if there are options in the sofware download. For them to resort to such tactics proves to me they simply are no longe trustworthy at all.

Amanda Yes These Volunteers are doing a Great Job! Thanks You for the follow-up!

Gwalk so true if you look at the Last one remove it CLAIMS to have come from Firefox, I almost have stopped using Cnet unless I was being Redirected?

Sally, sgoshe, thank you Guys also for Follow up,

I do have an external Drive and Have what My Son The Geek calls Ghosted My Programs and Data, I just didn't know coming to Huges Net that it was so affected by it? Both my DSL and Uverse performed with no issues, And Yes here I go again Comparing Apples to Oranges, But That is what I Had and now what I'm Forced to deal With.

Several years ago (about 13) I started a lifetime membership to CloudEight which is a very helpful sight that tests programs on their own computers before recommending them to their members/the public. I have found them to always be truthful and helpful about all things relating to computers. They keep track of programs to see if things change, such as what was once a trusted and recommended progam now starts to add PUPS or spyware or changes from what they advertise. If that happens, they quickly notifiy their subscribers and tell them what the program now does or does not do. I have NEVER been misled by them and trust what they say. Anyone who would like to be more informed about computers/software and anything internet would indeed become more educated about those things. Give them a try....it's free and so much help. CloudEight....google it.

Thanks will do

Another nice thing they provide is computer "repair" via remote access and without the danger of exosing your data to the unknown. They can be trusted. If you purchase "repair keys" you can use them anytime. They are very knowledgeable and not like "the Geek Squad" or your local PC repair who always want to keep your pc for weeks/months as well as try to sell you something. They will access your pc and look for virus, trojans etc, plus other stuff that is out of whack and may be causing you problems, all while YOU watch and control what they do. Good people. Not a huge corporation (2 people) and they have been around long enough to show they are trusted.