cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales rep who misled and a 30 day cancellationn policy with no empathy

Sales rep who misled and a 30 day cancellationn policy with no empathy

We called in August to schedule installation for early September when we moved into our new home.  My husband and I probably spent a good half hour + talking to the sales rep over the phone, making sure that Hughesnet would meet our needs as we needed reliable internet. We stated how many people in our household would be using, what devices, etc. and the rep assured us that the pro plan meets our needs, which absolutely does not.  My intention was to call before the 30 day period was up, but unfortunately, my father was diagnosed with bone CANCER, so I decided that he was my priority over cancelling my service.  I immediately left to travel out of state as he was critically ill.   Once I able to leave my father after he was in stable condition (but is STILL in the hospital), I called Hughes.net to cancel (on my drive home - when I was able to start thinking about things I needed to do.)  I explained my situation and was told that since I was 5 days past the 30 days, that I would be assessed the $400.  RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!   I begged and pleaded, and all I was offered was an apology and some tokens.  I am flabbergasted that any company would be so callous to think that a policy would be enforced so stringently in such circumstances.  I even asked if I could pay a smaller amount to cancel since I was only a few days late, and I was told no. 

I feel cheated and misled by the first sales rep back in August, and now I feel like I am giving money to a company with no concern!!!!!  Plus, I do not have the service I need. 
14 REPLIES 14
Associate Professor

Re: Sales rep who misled and a 30 day cancellationn policy with no empathy

Just my opinion... If every company was forced to sit and have to evaluate everyone that wanted a cancellation after a trial period ended due to any circumstances, then those companies wouldn't even offer a 30-day window.  Most don't even give one day anymore.
Assistant Professor

I totally understand the bone cancer issue, my father died from it and it was a terrible time. I don't think I'm a cold person but I never expected any company to give me any kind of break because of my personal family issues. A business contract is a business contract.

I think your issue is more that the service doesn't meet your needs. I would never have used my father's disease as a reason to break a contract with a company.

Maybe HughesNet will be more accommodating. People are very different. You posted this on a public forum so just my reply. You can certainly reply with as much anger as you want and I will totally understand  because of the situation you are in.

Truly sad about your father, best wishes to you and your family.

I am absolutely not using his illness to my gain.  Cancelling was on my to-do list, along with a half dozen other business matters, that got neglected in my absence. I am saddened to hear about your father, but I know you can relate that your own personal life and business issues get put on hold in such a time. 
Assistant Professor

Yes, I honestly understand but I never asked for any break from third parties or businesses because I was occupied with my father's illness. Again, people are different and raised different. Seriously not trying to criticize what you are feeling, guess I'm saying I never would have brought it up here. Would have said it doesn't meet my needs and ask that the sales call be reviewed.

Thank you for the comment about my father, been 25 years ago now. Also lost my only child to a car accident in 2002. Life is not a bowl of cherries for most real people. You learn to push on or give up. Guess it kind of irked me you even mentioned the father's cancer here on a business support site. Now I have also said way too much about my own personal life.
Highlighted

Thanks for your help.  We play Ipad app games, social media, online shopping, email, and occasional short video clips (it hasn't been fast enough to watch You Tube) as well as 2 cell phones on Wi-Fi when we are at home.  We power off all devices every night. 
Assistant Professor

Which plan do you have? Video streaming can use huge amounts of data depending on the definition. Facebook can use large amounts if things aren't turned off.

I have the pro plan....I have the automatic play turned off on Facebook for videos.  I did a long time before hughes.net as it drove me crazy when the just came on.
Assistant Professor

Which plan? How much Anytime bytes?

15 gig anytime, 50 gig bonus