Salesman lied to me repeatedly during sign up

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AngryBearcat
New Poster

Salesman lied to me repeatedly during sign up

When I asked the salesman about how much data I would get per month, he told me it does not work that way. He claimed a 50$ plan would cover 1000 hours of connection, regardless of the amount of data. I pressed him about this and he continued to make this claim. Well of course that is not true, and I would have waited to sign up finding out my $50 gets me 10gb. I can't even download a modern game with that. I am furious. I want a log of this call. This is fraud.

10 REPLIES 10
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

This is something the Hughesnet mods here on the site can help you with, especially if your sales call is still available.They can pull the call, verify what was said and what level of expectation was set up, and then go from there. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@AngryBearcat wrote:

When I asked the salesman about how much data I would get per month, he told me it does not work that way. He claimed a 50$ plan would cover 1000 hours of connection, regardless of the amount of data. I pressed him about this and he continued to make this claim. Well of course that is not true, and I would have waited to sign up finding out my $50 gets me 10gb. I can't even download a modern game with that. I am furious. I want a log of this call. This is fraud.

Brooke
Alum

Hello AngryBearcat, welcome to the community and thanks for posting! I sent in a request to have your Sales call reviewed. I will update you once I have received a response. 

Your cooperation and patience are appreciated.

-Brooke

Thank you Brooke. I would like a copy of the call. 

I can understand that, however it goes against company policy to redistribute the calls. When a customer makes a request for a copy of the call, they will have to take the necessary legal steps in order to so.

I can assure you the call will be reviewed accordingly; this allows us to investigate for any misconduct with our Sales Representatives. 

-Brooke

- When and how will I be notified when this call has been reviewed?

- Legal steps? Please clarify what legal steps I need to take to aqcuire a log of my sales call, or where I can find this information.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

They will notify you here on this community, either on this thread or via private message (PM).  Edit: They will notify you when they get a copy of the call (it comes from a different department).

The only time a copy might be obtained  would be if you decide to enter arbitration with Hughesnet regarding your issue(s), and the arbitrator requests a copy. You would not get the copy, the arbitrator would.   The arbitration procedure is outlined in the contract you signed (verbally) when you accepted becoming a Hughesnet subscriber. Section 5.2.   http://legal.hughes.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

@AngryBearcat wrote:

- Legal steps? Please clarify what legal steps I need to take to aqcuire a log of my sales call, or where I can find this information.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@AngryBearcat wrote:

The legal steps are explained here: https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/acquiring-recorded-conversations-with-a-business-37956

HughesNet actually goes beyond what most companies will do without a subpoena. The mods here will have the call reviewed and work with the customer to resolve the issue based upon the findings. It can take 5 work days or more to get a reply.

Your patience is appreciated! After reviewing the call, these were their findings:

• The customer asks what the highest level package is, because they had heard about the data limits and wanted the most data possible.  The agent answers, “Even this plan will get you about 1000 hours of high speed internet per month.”  The customer asks how many gigabytes that would be, and the agent responds, “Well, gigs translate into different things based off of what type of technology it is.  The 10 GB per month would not have the same data bleeding as a hotspot, so this would translate into 1000 hours of high speed internet.”
  • The customer asks why there is more data than is possible to consume, to which the agent responds, “It is possible, it’s pretty hard.  Maybe if you had a bunch of security cameras with an upload feed.”  The customer clarifies, “So it’s per machine?” The agent states, “yes.” 
  • The customer asks what the other packages were, and the agent responds, “There’s a plan that does 2000 hours that you could go with, but you can upgrade or downgrade that plan at any time.”

None of these statements are in our approved scripting and we consider the agent to be misleading the customer. This call has been escalated this to the compliance team for review and this agent has been removed from the HughesNet sales team. 

I've sent you a private message to address your concerns in further detail. 

-Brooke

NateMargo2008
New Poster

I totally understand you we just had our's installed yesterday and we were told the same thing never once did they state their was a data limit my husband never would have okayed this.  We were lied to. I just registered my account and logged on to see my ususage and see we are all ready at 90% when only one movie has been playing since this moring. This is a joke. 

@NateMargo2008

Your connection is not cut off when your high speed allowance is used up, it is only throttled down. Technically, there no data limits. Plus, if you just signed up yesterday, the usage is reset hourly and the allowance is waived in the first 20 days to allow the system to be 'shaken out' and ensure everything is working properly. All of this should have been spelled out in the welcome email that they send to new customers.

All this said, if you are having a technical problem, please create your own thread here so the admins can properly address them and possibly do a sales call review... not a joke.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.