Hughesnet Community

Samsung phone has quit syncing email. It won't bring in new messages. We have checked port setting and server settings.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sherri Sackman

Samsung phone has quit syncing email. It won't bring in new messages. We have checked port setting and server settings.

My husband and I both have Samsung Galaxy smart phones.  Our hughesnet email syncs fine for a few days and then stops.  It says it is syncing but does not bring in any new messages, but we know there are some because we can access them on our laptop.  After a few days, sometimes we may get one message or so.  We have checked our server and port settings.  Should we have it set to pop or imap?  We have tried both and nothing seems to work.
20 REPLIES 20
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I've had this happen on my wife's Android phone, I believe I rebooted it to fix the problem. Can also try deleting the account on the phone then re-entering it. I use POP but either should work.

Clearing the cache may help also.
Amanda

Hey Sherri

Did BirdDog's tip help? It would also help to know what email provider you are using

Thanks
Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Lol, I assumed she was talking about HughesNet email but you're right, maybe not.
Amanda

Wait, she did say hughesnet email. I may have gotten ahead of both of us. Long day!
Sherri Sackman

It is hughesnet and I was able to get it working by removing the email account and re-adding it.  My husband has done that numerous times but this is the first time I have had to do it.  No big deal, but just a pain.  Thanks for your help.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I think it is more an Android thing than HughesNet, could be wrong.
Amanda

Hi Sherri

Sorry to hear about that happening so often. Do you know what time interval you have the phone set to check the inbox? This could also have something to do with it...

Thanks
Amanda
Sherri Sackman

Mine is set for every 15 minutes, but I am pretty sure that isn't the problem because we have changed that setting on my husband's numerous times and it still happens.  The guy at the Verizon store told me it isn't a Samsung problem, but a hughesnet issue.  
bdvvdd12

My Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 has this problem even with my yahoo account.  Generally a restart, will fix it. If the problem is more persistent, hard reset your device. Make sure to back all your data up. I have to do this to my brothers phone too. Its an android issue, that comes out of no where and then goes away sometimes.

Setting it for 15 minutes will also drain your battery life and use more data, both your wireless data and hughesnet data.
bdvvdd12

My Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 has this problem even with my yahoo account.  Generally a restart, will fix it. If the problem is more persistent, hard reset your device. Make sure to back all your data up. I have to do this to my brothers phone too. Its an android issue, that comes out of no where and then goes away sometimes.

Setting it for 15 minutes will also drain your battery life and use more data, both your wireless data and hughesnet data.
Amanda

Sherri I am curious - does it not sync when you are only on the Hughes connection but if you switch to mobile data it works or does it not work no matter the internet youre using?
Sherri Sackman

It doesn't matter whether using mobile or wifi through hughes or other wifi.
bdvvdd12

If that is the case, then it seems like your device(s) are having the issue and not your hughes connection.

What email app are you using to access your email?
Have you made sure the software and firmware are up to date? (including the OS)
Sherri Sackman

just the general email app that comes on our android phones
Sherri Sackman

and yes all software and firmware is up to date.  My husband's phone has done this since he bought it last year.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Can try a different email app.
Amanda

Hi Sherri
Can you try the steps from this website?

http://www.technobezz.com/fix-samsung-galaxy-s5-email-syncing-problem/

Amanda
Sherri Sackman

It has been working since I removed and re-added it yesterday.  When it happens again, I will try these methods.  Thank you.
Amanda

Well I hope it doesn't happen again but if it does I'll be happy to lend you a hand Sherri

Thanks
Amanda
Amanda

Hello Sherri,

It has been over a week since we've heard from you! If you are still having the same concerns, please feel free to create an updated post.

Thank you
Amanda