Satellite Receive Signal Strength

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tim1966
Sophomore

Satellite Receive Signal Strength

Just wondering what my signal strength should be.  I have a signal strength of 61 right now and when the system was installed it was 94.  I am curious because my connection seems real slow and it takes forever for any webpages to load.  The zip code here is 93930, the satellite info is:

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD  Gateway ID10  Beam ID70  Outroute ID  1

Thanks

Tim

30 REPLIES 30
MarkJFine
Professor

60 seems low, given that there's no precip in your area, and could mean that packet errors are causing resends. That would also cause slowness.

It could mean you may need a dish alignment, however it's also possible that your ground station (Missoula, MT) is having an issue. Recommend waiting for an admin to check things for you. They're not here on the weekends.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks for the feedback Mark, I will see what the admin folks think about it tomorrow.

Tim

For the King City area and beam 70 and a .74 dish. 60 to 70 is normal in that area. Now. Depending on where you are at in King City. North or south. It could be moved to beam 54..

I am about 25 miles Northeast of King City.  I don't know what is going on but all the web pages I try to go to seem to take forever to load, some only load halfway.  When I say slow I mean I can click on a website and leave the room for a couple of minutes and when I come back it still might be trying to load.

I had an old computer so I thought that might be the problem, I went out a got a new computer and router and still the same results.

Anyone have a good detailed beam map for central California so I can see if I should still be on beam 70?

Thanks

Tim

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You can see what beam you're on by going to http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/information

Look next to Beam ID. 

Maratsade, thanks for that information.

Maratsade, I followed that link you sent but I did know I was on beam 70.  What I would like to know is if I should still be on that beam, someone earlier had mentioned beam 54.

Thank-you

Tim

maratsade

If that's what the SCC shows, that' s the beam you're on. 

@tim1966 wrote:

Maratsade, I followed that link you sent but I did know I was on beam 70.  What I would like to know is if I should still be on that beam, someone earlier had mentioned beam 54.

Thank-you

Tim

That probably means you are close to HWY 25. We call that area the Bermuda Triangle.  You can get 54,55 or 70.  The best one for that area is beam 70..

GabeU

@gokartergo24 wrote:

That probably means you are close to HWY 25. We call that area the Bermuda Triangle.  You can get 54,55 or 70.  The best one for that area is beam 70..

Is that because of individual beam load?

Yes Sir..

You are correct I am along Hwy 25, out in the boondocks.  It went from bad to worse yesterday afternoon, (Monday), the modem went totally down, which is why I could not respond to the posts.

The signal strength dropped to 31 and I got the following state codes:

11.2.5 a problem receiving data has occurred

12.7.1 a transmit problem has occurred

12.1.9 a transmit problem has occurred

Now this morning, (Tuesday), the system is normal again and I have a signal of 71

Thanks for all the input.

I have been watching my signal strength and it has been varying wildly.  From 71 down to 31, currently at 59, the weather is clear here.

I am going to take the modem into the shower with me and wash off all of those dusty electrons, that must be the problem.

maratsade

It may be infected -- soak it in a bleach bath.

tim1966 wrote:

I am going to take the modem into the shower with me and wash off all of those dusty electrons, that must be the problem.

Or, it could be that Missoula is still having problems...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Tim,

I've been keeping track of the errors you've been posting, and all of the errors that I've been able to see on our end for the past couple of days to try to pin down the issue. I haven't been able to figure out whether it's the equipment, a Gateway issue, or an issue with your signal. The best solution here would likely be to send out a technician with equipment to cover all of our bases, and I'll be going ahead and sending one out shortly! Whenever you get the chance, please unplug your equipment and let me know before you do. I'll be able to send a technician out then, and I'll make sure to waive any associated fees!

Thanks,

Remy

Can I get someone to come to my plase and figure out why mine has been crap from the very first. Worst ever intranet
GabeU

@Todd2 wrote:
Can I get someone to come to my plase and figure out why mine has been crap from the very first. Worst ever intranet

If you'd like support, please start your own topic and explain the issue you're having.  

Remy,

When you say unplug the equipment do you want me to just kill the power to it or unplug all the cables from the modem.

Thanks

Tim