Satellite position

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tammigirl18
Freshman

Satellite position

I have had Hughesnet now for less than a month....it is absolutely horrible! Our Satellite dish is positioned about 4 ft from our house on the North side, on about a 5 ft high post, and aimed directly at our house.....I thought it had to be aimed in a south westerly direction and had to be up high? They could not install on the roof due to it being copper not shingle....is this right?
12 REPLIES 12
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

They aim it towards the satellite. 

When you go to this page:  http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status

What numbers do you see next to State Code?

tammigirl18 wrote:
I have had Hughesnet now for less than a month....it is absolutely horrible! Our Satellite dish is positioned about 4 ft from our house on the North side, on about a 5 ft high post, and aimed directly at our house.....I thought it had to be aimed in a south westerly direction and had to be up high? They could not install on the roof due to it being copper not shingle....is this right?

I tried going to the link u included but it will not come up....

The page finally came up
GabeU

@tammigirl18 

It will be in the southern sky, but the direction in which the dish is pointed all depends on your location and the satellite it's pointed to.  It can range from SSW to SSE.  

Also, the signal has to be adequate at the time of installation to allow for system commissioning.  If the house or anything else were in the way the system would not have commissioned.  

In addition to the State Code maratsade requested, and on the same page as that information, what do you see for the Satellite Receive Signal Strength in the WAN Info box on the bottom left?

I tried to go to the page in the link but it will not come up.....it says site cannot be reached....
maratsade

OK, let's wait for the mods to handle this one, hopefully today.  Your modem may be fried.

tammigirl18 wrote:
I tried to go to the page in the link but it will not come up.....it says site cannot be reached....

Good morning tammigirl18,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! I'd like to investigate further, can you please confirm that your SAN (account number) is the one ending in 713? (or that the associate phone number is the one ending in 88)

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Yes, that is my account
GabeU

@tammigirl18 

Unfortunately, it looks like Liz and the rest of the HughesNet reps may be off today.  I'm not sure what their holiday schedule is, but it's possible that they won't be back until Thursday, so you may not receive a reply from one until then.  

A State Code of 0.0.0 means that your HughesNet equipment is operating properly.   Also, if 113 is your Satellite Receive Signal Strength, it's very good.  It's better than mine.  

Around the holidays there is often a slowdown due to so many new devices coming online and many of them performing updates.  It can not only cause issues with general browsing, as in taking longer than normal to get to and open web pages, but even bigger issues with streaming.  

With the streaming, you can try reducing the resolution of the source to see if it helps.  Also, turning off or pausing the Video Data Saver can often help with buffering issues, especially for streams in HD.  

One last thing you can try is power cycling your HughesNet modem.  To do so, unplug the modem at either the wall outlet or the power pack (but NOT by the plug into the back of the modem, as that plug is very delicate).  Wait for at least 30 seconds, then plug the modem back in.  Then wait for at least five minutes, which gives the modem time to reconnect and be fully back up and ready, then try your online activities again.  

A power cycle can help your connection to be better, in the same way that restarting your computer can sometimes help if it's performing slowly or erratically.  It doesn't always result in better HughesNet performance, but it can.  

When Liz is back, she'll likely take a look at your HughesNet equipment, via remote access, to make sure everything is as it should be, and she may have some ideas on what to do to improve your performance and/or experience.  

Good morning tammigirl18,

Thank you for the confirmation. I ran diagnostics on your site and currently the modem appears to be working fine. I do see that you're currently out of data so your speeds will be reduced, but you should still be able to get online. Can you please confirm which lights are lit on the front of the modem?

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Good morning tammigirl18,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz