Secure connection issues part 2

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
natural2195
Freshman

Secure connection issues part 2

Well it's happening again. Just like before from my post of 3 weeks ago. (which is now a closed thread) i.e. "Re: Secure Connection Issues"

Most websites work like normal but Yahoo/Yahoo Mail  and secure sites like online banking will not work. (on any browser)

Early this morning I was able to run a speed test and got very good speeds. And was able to stream video. So I don't understand what it is about secure/login sites that are causing problems.

I still have 2gb of data for the month and actually still have over 4gb of token bites waiting in the wings. So it's not (or shouldn't be) a throttling problem.

Can someone from tech run a diagnostic on my modem. Because oddly enough that seems to possibly be what solved my issues last time. (although I don't know why)

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
natural2195
Freshman

I should also mention that I can open Yahoo mail on my phone when using the 4g network instead of my modem.

So it's not Yahoo.

And one more thing. I think Hughesnet Tech really needs to research and resolve this issue because from what I can see this is a recurring issue with multiple people. (over a long period of time)

Nothing has changed on my end but suddenly I am not able to reach certain sites. As if Hughesnet has changed the stautus of my connection or something. (something like changing from "not throttled" to "throttled") And then suddenly when a tech "diagnoses" my modem everything changes back to the way it was before. (again nothing changed about my computer or router)

So this seems to be a Hughesnet error. Or possibly when their modems begin to fail they faiil the same way for everybody. Whatever the case Hughesnet needs to address this problem. And not tell us to update our routers or change the "web acceleration" or the IPvs because those issues are not the commonality in this situation. The only commonality is Hughesnet and something that they have changed on their end. (otherwise they wouldn't be able to change it back like they do)

Am I right in my assumptions or not?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@natural2195 wrote: 

Am I right in my assumptions or not?

Not necessarily.  That it was working after Damian performed the remote maintenance on your modem may have just been a coincidence, but it could have been what fixed it, as well.  At this point, it's not really known what was causing it or what the fix was.  

With this said, the reps will almost assuredly have to help with this.  They're on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST.  You'll likely see a reply from one Monday, though with everything going on it may take them a bit longer to respond than it normally would.  

Liz

Hi natural2195,

Thanks for reaching out, I ran diagnostics and see the HughesNet equipment working normally.

For this sort of concern with accessing secured websites, please try temporarily disabling IPv6 on your device trying to access that site. Depending on the device you are using the instructions will vary. Please let me know if you have trouble finding instructions to do that for a specific device or operating system.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Nope. That didn't do anything.

And infact it took me four tries to log on to this website just to make a reply.

So what should I try next?

Hi natural2195,

Thank you for the update. Let me gather more information to better assess the situation, please provide the requested info:

What URL(s) are you trying to visit?

What are you trying to accomplish? (Are you trying to load a site, are you trying to log in, etc?)

What error message are you getting? (Screenshots would help, here's how to do them: take-a-screenshot.org)

When did you notice having difficulty visiting that URL?

Does disabling Web Acceleration make a difference? (Enter 192.168.0.1 in your browser then follow the steps here to find where to toggle Web Acceleration: http://hninfo.us/WAS)

Does this happen on different computers/devices?

Does this happen even after clearing your browser cache? (How-to here: refreshyourcache.com)

Does power cycling your modem make a difference? (Unplug the HughesNet modem's power cord from the brick for 30 seconds before replugging.)

Does this happen even when directly connected to the HughesNet modem?

Does power cycling your router (if applicable) make a difference?

Does power cycling your computer make a difference?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are greatly appreciated so that we can address your concerns.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

What URL(s) are you trying to visit?

Mainly the Yahoo mail and my online banks.

What are you trying to accomplish? (Are you trying to load a site, are you trying to log in, etc?)

Login to the bank and sometimes if I can end up logged in to yahoo mail the inbox folder will not open.

What error message are you getting? (Screenshots would help, here's how to do them: take-a-screenshot.org)

Generally there is not an error message. The login page will load but the login never happens and the page just sits there and never continues. Or the yahoo mail site just keeps saying "retry".
Once I did get this message from my online banknig:

" This site can’t be reachedThe connection was reset.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET"

And after clearing my cache and trying to login to Yahoo mail I got this message:
"Network connection timed out"

When did you notice having difficulty visiting that URL?

It started again this time last Sunday. But it also happened about a month ago.

Does disabling Web Acceleration make a difference? (Enter 192.168.0.1 in your browser then follow the steps here to find where to toggle Web Acceleration: http://hninfo.us/WAS)
No. Disabling Web Acceleration doesn't seem to help.

Does this happen on different computers/devices?

Yes, I can not log in to Yahoo mail while using my phone if I am using the Wifi but I can log in on my phone while using the cell network. (but then only if I want to drive to town to get a signal)

Does this happen even after clearing your browser cache? (How-to here: refreshyourcache.com)
I cleared my cache and now things are WAY WORSE!!!
Because now I and not login to Yahoo mail AT ALL!

Does power cycling your modem make a difference? (Unplug the HughesNet modem's power cord from the brick for 30 seconds before replugging.)

No

Does this happen even when directly connected to the HughesNet modem?

When bypassing the router I was able to login to Yahoo mail but not the online banking. HOWEVER now that I have cleared my cache I can not do either. Also it took me about 10 tries to be able to login to Hughesnet just so I could reply to this post.

Does power cycling your router (if applicable) make a difference?
No.

Does power cycling your computer make a difference?
No.

I would also like to reiterate that this happened about a month ago and then the problem just stopped. And now it has started again and I didn't change anything on my end.
I suspect that it might all have to do with the connection being so slow or irratic that the secure sites fail during the login procedure.

So does that mean that the modem is failing or could it be the dish or receiver?

PLEASE HELP! Because now that I have done as you said and cleared my cache I am really stuck and not able to even see my emails!!!!!!

Ok, while I'm probably going to hold my breath until next time it happens.

It suddenly seems to be working agian.

I'm afraid to ask why...

Did you do something to make it work again?

Hi natural2195,

Glad to hear that it's working again for you. I don't know what our engineers did, but they are always making network adjustments to ensure best performance for all customers. Feel free to start a new thread if you have any other concerns.

Thanks,

Liz