Hughesnet Community

Secure pages load more slowly than non-secure ones...Why is that?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Secure pages load more slowly than non-secure ones...Why is that?

Secure pages load more slowly on Hughesnet...this was particularly bad before Gen4, and got much, much better with Gen4.  Does anyone know why https pages load more slowly? Just curious.
16 REPLIES 16
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

maratsade, the short answer is it has to do with the secure servers and compression used by HughesNet. The CGN shared network addressing doesn't help either.

Before you ask, here is CGN explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT     : )
maratsade

LOL, BirdDog! And thanks! It did get 100% better with Gen4, but I was curious. Now I know! ETA: so going by the graphic on the Wikipedia article, the big problem is those huge clouds next to the little houses.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Lol, yea smoke and mirrors!

PS: CGN is the best way they have right now to handle all the customers through the limited resources of a satellite and gateway system.
maratsade

I'm just glad it works. Verizon is expensive and a bit unreliable for me, though it does in a pinch, as a backup.  HN has made a big difference to people in rural areas.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yep, once one learns, and willing to do so, how to corral data use it is actually very reliable and even fast in most cases. Not broadband, although I'm on a beam/gateway where broadband download speed is frequent, as in +25 Mbps. I know that is not the norm for most.

I have good AT&T 4G LTE signal and even considered switching to it entirely when moving HughesNet to new house up the mountain just a bit. However after weighing the cost/benefit ratio I decided to stay with Hughes. The latency is not something that bothers me since I don't game online and again I'm lucky enough to have the 50/50 Ultra plan.

Use the 4G as backup and do understand how people who never had satellite before complain about slowness even when browsing. When I use my hotspot pages do load quicker. But a second or two slower doesn't make me crazy. I come from dial-up BBS days.
maratsade

I come from dial-up too, so HN is indeed blazing fast compared to that.  At work they have pretty fast internet, but it's not that much different. I also don't do online gaming and only stream towards the end of the period when I have some data left over., or use the Bonus Bytes early in the morning.  I don't have 4G where I live, but even 3G is OK as a backup and perhaps a teeny bit faster than Hughesnet but nothing to write home about.   I don't have the Ultra plan available here (is that limited to a specific type of area?), but I'm not sure I even need 50 GB of anytime bytes. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The Ultra plan is only available on certain beams/gateways that aren't (weren't) loaded so much. I jumped on it about two years ago when they first offered it. Not sure it is available anymore in my area. Sometimes nice to be "grandfathered".

Wife and I like Netflix on weekends but still don't come close to using entire 50 GB Anytime data allowance for the month.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

A lot has to do with compression...  Hughes can compress non-secure links as they can see the data and decompress it on the other end...  The modem can also prefetch a lot of things on a website before it's actually needed to start loading so that it's ready.  Secure links by nature will always be slower, even on land-based connections they will be slower than non-secure.
maratsade

I don't think it's ever been available in my area...the most we get here is 20/50. We rely on Netflix DVDs a lot; I personally prefer them to streaming.  I haven't watched TV for 3 years and returned one of the boxes -- the rest of the family threatened violence if I cancelled DirecTV.
maratsade

That makes sense, Corrosive. HN got a lot better with the secure pages, though. Before I could go make coffee while a secure page loaded.
Liz

BirdDog and C0RR0SIVE to the rescue!  Thanks for answering this question. Glad that helped, maratsade!

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

They deserve cookies.  Or tokens! 😉
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Dog treat please.  : )
Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

LOL!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor