Seeking a Moderator to Look Into my Connection Issues

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
monicakm
Senior

Seeking a Moderator to Look Into my Connection Issues

Liz, would you mind looking into my connection issues please.  **bleep** Weather Bug for the current weather in Duluth...it was not raining nor was there any rain indicated on the weather map.  I have 2 screen shots of my SCC page that show the system status as yellow and red.  Both around midnight and one week apart.  Here is one of them.  My Google Home devices are often slooow to respond and sometimes will say "hold on while I connect to the wifi".  Or smart lights won't turn on or off and say they can't be reached right now. Tech support says nothing is wrong.  Once, they said my dish was a bit out of alignment and fixed it.  That was at a time I couldn't even get on line.  So to recap, my issues are staying connected and slow browsing.  Everything was working like clockwork till about 2 weeks ago.  ThanksHughesNet.jpg

20 REPLIES 20
monicakm
Senior

I have no idea what happened to my message 😮  Luckily I copied it and it's still on my clipboard....

Liz, would you mind looking into my connection issues please.  **bleep** Weather Bug for the current weather in Duluth...it was not raining nor was there any rain indicated on the weather map.  I have 2 screen shots of my SCC page that show the system status as yellow and red.  Both around midnight and one week apart.  Here is one of them.  My Google Home devices are often slooow to respond and sometimes will say "hold on while I connect to the wifi".  Or smart lights won't turn on or off and say they can't be reached right now. Tech support says nothing is wrong.  Once, they said my dish was a bit out of alignment and fixed it.  That was at a time I couldn't even get on line.  So to recap, my issues are staying connected and slow browsing.  Everything was working like clockwork till about 2 weeks ago.  Thanks

Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong???

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@monicakm 

Something is going a bit goofy with the system lately, where it bleeps arbitrary things and, in the process, also deletes parts of the post surrounding the bleeped info.  What's causing the system to do this is a mystery, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.  So, you're not doing anything wrong.  The system is.  

The reps are now off until tomorrow, but Liz or another should reply then.  With that said, sometimes Damian is on during the evenings as of late, so you may still get a reply tonight.

Alrighty, I'll try it again Gab...

Liz, would you mind looking into my connection issues please.  **bleep** Weather Bug for the current weather in Duluth...it was not raining nor was there any rain indicated on the weather map.  I have 2 screen shots of my SCC page that show the system status as yellow and red.  Both around midnight and one week apart.  Here is one of them.  My Google Home devices are often slooow to respond and sometimes will say "hold on while I connect to the wifi".  Or smart lights won't turn on or off and say they can't be reached right now. Tech support says nothing is wrong.  Once, they said my dish was a bit out of alignment and fixed it.  That was at a time I couldn't even get on line.  So to recap, my issues are staying connected and slow browsing.  Everything was working like clockwork till about 2 weeks ago.  Thanks

My wifi connection keeps dropping causing major havoc with all my IOTs.  Please help!

GabeU

With the bleeping, my suggestion would be to take your last post with the bleep, edit it with the words that are missing, take a snapshot of it, then add the snapshot of the correct post.  This way, when it bleeps again, which it probably will, it will still be posted as a picture.  I'll post a pic at the end to show you what I mean.

If it's only your WiFi connection is dropping, but not your actual internet connection, I would try either moving the device closer to the modem to get a better signal, or even try the alternate radio (2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz, or even vice versa).  If it's a single device that this is happening with, you may also want to try reinstalling the driver for the WiFi adapter in the device.  If that doesn't help, and if you have the ability to do so, try using a device that can connect to the modem via LAN cable, at least until a rep can reply tomorrow to run diagnostics and figure out what might be wrong.

Capture.JPG

Gabe, well now I'm not sure what is dropping 😮  When I say "wifi is dropping", I'm assuming and meaning I have no internet connection.  All the IOT devices (GH devices, smart outlets and smart lights and wifi thermostat) are where they've always been and always worked.  It's not just one, it's all of them.  I have had them on the 2.4ghz and 5 on both the HughesNet modem/wifi and my Netgear router.  It's all the IOT devices in my house.  For instance, asking GH "what's the temperature?" normally takes 3 seconds to respond.  It just took 12 seconds.  Many times the devices don't respond at all or say there was a glitch.  My browsing is slow and the SCC shows degraded and down system status so when I ask for a light to turn on or to turn the thermostat down, it takes much longer or doesn't happen at all.  And as I said earlier, all this has worked near perfect for months and months, years acutally.  Nothing has changed or been recently added.

GabeU

@monicakm 

What you're seeing in the SCC is definitely something the reps will have to investigate, as the only time that should really happen is during inclement weather at either your gateway or your home, but not on a regular basis.  Hopefully one will reply soon.  

@monicakm wrote:

I have had them on the 2.4ghz and 5 on both the HughesNet modem/wifi and my Netgear router.   

Though I don't mention it in relation to your current issue, and I don't know that you actually have it set up this way, if you're using the WiFi from both the HT2000W and the Netgear router at the same time, make sure that you're not using the same band (i.e. 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz) from each at the same time, as the same Wifi band from two different sources can interfere with each other.  Again, I don't know that you actually have it set up this way, but I figured I'd mention it, just in case.

Still having issues with very slow to dead in the water browsing.  SCC is again showing red and yellow system status.  No, it's not raining.  It rained during the middle of the night to very early morning but not now.  Not this afternoon.  And this is the first time it's rained in two months.  This is really getting old 😞  

No answer from a moderator yet.

GabeU

@monicakm,

Thank you for contacting us and I apologize for the delay. After reviewing the pictures you posted and running diagnostics, it appears your configuration and the equipment are running properly. What seems to be causing an issue is that your gateway location, which is located in Duluth, MN, has been experiencing thunderstorms and heavy cloud coverage recently. As of right now, the thunderstorms have stopped, however, the cloud coverage is still present. Once the weather clears there, try power cycling again with the modem first then router. Please power them back on in this same order. After this, go back to the SCC and see if your 12.7.2 state code has changed, along with the color for your system status. It looks like the cloud overage should lessen by tomorrow according to the predicted forecast. I apologize for this inconvenience and I hope the weather stays clear at the terminal. 

-Damian 

Damian, I appreciated you taking the time to reply and try to explain what's going on.  I really do.  However, I'm going to have to disagree with the weather diagnosis.  I've gone YEARS without the slow browsing and dropping of signal (unless it was raining here).  The odds of it never raining in Duluth while I'm on the computer are slim to none.  Also, I've had a tech support agent tell me the Duluth story.  I guess he didn't think a customer was smart enough to check with Google and Weather Bug to see the current weather status of Duluth.  He said it was raining.  Google said it was clear.  Weather But showed no storms in the area.  I checked this while on the phone with him.

Also, my current problem has been going on (and seemingly getting worse) for a few weeks.  My screen shots of the SCC in red or yellow status go back at least two weeks but it was happening before then before I decided it wasn't going to get better and started taking screen shots.

One would think this non-service would be a lot more prevalent if rain at the gateway AND in the subscriber's area caused such degraded service.  For quite awhile now I've been a very happy HughesNet customer (as happy as a satellite Internet user can be).  Fortunately my contract ran out in April and there is a local company that also offers rural Internet.  If you would have asked me a month ago, I would have had no desire to leave HughesNet.  If this can't be fixed, I'll have to.  I've gone from all my IoTs working 99% of the time to now less than 50% of the time.

I have had my Google Home devices, smart plugs and smart lights for over two years.  This recent decline in Internet connectivity is the first time the devices have acted like this....not responding at all or "hold on while I connect to the Internet" or "there was a glitch, something went wrong".  It's all of them, not just one device on the other side of the house from the router.  When I can make it to the computer in time, I will see a system outage or degraded service.  It must be raining in Duluth a LOT because until early this morning, it hasn't rained here in two months (or so it seems).  

However, to show my willingness to work with HughesNet, I will do as you ask with the modem and router and state code.   Meanwhile, it would be great if you could consider sending out a tech and/or replacing the modem.  I don't know how long I've been a customer...maybe 15 or more years.  I've ridden out the bad times and been thankful for the good ones.  Right now is not so good 😞

According to Google, it's still cloudy (3:20am their time).  I have performed the modem and router disconnects and reconnecting in he same order.  SCC page which is still super slow to load/draw (23 seconds) shows a state code of 0.0.0.  I will perform the disconnect and reconnect again tomorrow when it's partly cloudy in Duluth.  But please remember, I haven't had this degree of Internet problems in YEARS.  Surely it's been cloudy in Duluth during that time.  I'm just working with you to be fair and cover all our bases but I feel the problem is much deeper.

@monicakm,

The weather issue was a possibility as I can see the state code you posted in your picture is associated with a problem at the gateway. When looking at your diagnostic history, I see errors regarding your signal transmission. These errors are being generated at the in-between point from the terminal to your location. Process of elimination tells me that this may be due to poor weather at the gateway location. If the steps I have provided do not improve the service once the weather clears, then there is an underlying issue that will need to be investigated thoroughly by our advanced technical department. I could send out a tech now but without deep troubleshooting, the tech would be arriving without specific instruction. I recommend calling into our support line at 1-866-347-3292 to have a case escalated for investigation. Based on the results, they will most likely send out a technician with specific instructions. In some cases, they are also able to remotely fix the issue. Once you call in, please update me on your status and if you have any questions regarding the escalation. 

-Damian 

Thank you Damian.  I've not yet called tech support again.  The problems still exist.  I turned off my hug2 and hug5 radios and my signal strength went from 87/88 to 92/93 using the Netgear router.  I thought my problems were fixed but the "fix" was short lived.  Signal strength is still the same but browsing and the problems with my Google Homes saying "sorry, there was a glitch" or sorry, something went wrong" or "sorry, I can't reach the Internet right now, check your modem or router connections" remain. They also respond slowly (up to 30 seconds to respond) but sometimes there are spurts of them working like they used to and responding in 3-4 seconds.  I keep using the Google Homes (9 of them) as examples because I use them so much more than my computer and our phones are on unlimited mobile data.  My husband noticed the trees to the south of the dish have now grown together.  They are about 25-30 feet from the dish.  I can't really gauge if the dish pointer is pointing into the trees or it's going above them.  Would signal strength be low if the trees were the culprit?

I am requesting replacement modem and or a technician to my home to fix this ongoing problem. I have eliminated my Netgear router by not only turning it off but totally bypassing it and connecting straight to the desktop computer from the HughesNet modem. Also there is nothing else connected to the HughesNet modem. The SCC page takes 12 seconds or longer to open and 27 seconds or longer to completely load. HughesNet has run diagnostic test that shows no trees or foliage of any kind is blocking the satellite. Thank you

@Damian 

@Liz

I am requesting replacement modem and or a technician to my home to fix this ongoing problem. I have eliminated my Netgear router by not only turning it off but totally bypassing it and connecting straight to the desktop computer from the HughesNet modem. Also there is nothing else connected to the HughesNet modem. The SCC page takes 12 seconds or longer to open and 27 seconds or longer to completely load. HughesNet has run diagnostic test that shows no trees or foliage of any kind is blocking the satellite. Thank you

@monicakm,

As I stated previously, I do not recommend having a technician come out when there are no specific instructions to provide. Escalating a case to our advanced technical team will provide our representatives and technician with the correct steps. After reviewing your account, I see you did not call in to have this done yet. If you do not want to escalate a case and would like a technician instead, they will most likely come out and replace both the modem and radio transmitter. There is a chance that this may not fix the issue, as we would be skipping a crucial step of troubleshooting. If the representative you spoke with was unable to escalate a case, I can do this for you as well. Please let me know what you would like to do going forward. 

-Damian 

GabeU

@monicakm 

I should have added that, one other thing you can try is power cycling the modem, though I don't know if it will help.  To do so, shut down your device, then unplug the modem at either the wall outlet or the power pack (NOT the plug at the back of the modem).  After waiting for at least a minute, plug the modem back in.  Then, after waiting for at least five minutes, which will give the modem a chance to be fully back up and ready, start your device and try again.  

If none of this helps, it's likely that you'll have to wait until a rep replies tomorrow. 😞  With that said, please be sure to leave you modem plugged in, if you normally don't, so that they can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment, if they deem it necessary.

Thanks Gabe!  I have power cycled the modem several times.  I've done the reboot on the HugesNet page.  I've rebooted my router.  My router firmware is up to date.  I've made sure all cables are securely seated.  I don't know of anything else I can do.   Here is an image of my message to Liz (or anyone that could help)...

Clipboard01.jpg