cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Semi-Normal Daytime Speeds, Extremely Slow Evening Speeds

Semi-Normal Daytime Speeds, Extremely Slow Evening Speeds

I currently have a HughesNet Gen4 System, and have had it since late 2012.  We currently are enrolled in the Power Pro plan (10mbps down, 2mbps up).  Recently we have began noticing significant latency (more than normal), and reduced speeds (some as slow as dial-up) in the evenings.  Over the last couple days, we have ran a multitude of speed tests, during the daytime hours (typically testing around 1300-1400), speeds show an average of 3.5mbps down, 1.2mbps up, and 938ms latency.  During the evening hours (testing around 2200) speeds show an average of 380Kbps down, 997Kbps up, and 1,270ms latency.

After noticing this for several weeks, we called HughesNet to troubleshoot the problem.  They ran diagnostics such as speed tests, and web response tests on their side, and told us that all the tests were coming back that we were receiving at or above normal speeds.  

My question is how is it possible that we are seeing extreme reduction in speeds when we run tests through a 3rd party, but when HughesNet runs the tests, everything appears normal?
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Semi-Normal Daytime Speeds, Extremely Slow Evening Speeds

Hello jpechols,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. We're sorry to hear you have been experiencing slow speeds and will definitely assist you with this. First, high latency is very normal for satellite technology given the travel distance that your connection must make, but we do want to be wary of climbing numbers. Depending on the website you are using, you may encounter a multitude of different results for speed tests. Here at HughesNet we prefer to use our own speed test that works around latency to provide actual speed results (unlike websites such as SpeedTest.net) and simultaneously records your speed test for us to view remotely. Sometimes our customers use "testmy.net" for 3rd party results.

To get started on your concern, we'll need a recent case number or the serial number of your modem. We will be able to retrieve your account and begin in-depth diagnostics.

Thank you,

Amanda

Hi jpechols,

Thanks, we'll be able to locate your account with that information. Please keep in mind you posted your SAN, which is your account number and is sensitive information.

Amanda

Thank you.  Is there a number I should call to follow up?
Associate Professor

Just keep an eye on this topic and bump it up every once in awhile during business days and they should let you know what they find as information becomes available.

The latency spike however is normal during higher usage time, usually the evenings when everyone is online.  However slow speeds that low are a bit, ehh.  3Mbps isn't exactly horrible if you are on a loaded beam, but ancient DSL speeds are...  Well, that's not pretty.  Been seeing similar issues my self lately.
New Poster

One other thing not mentioned yet is the type of web acceleration that the Gen4 uses tends to make 3rd party test inaccurate. now with that said www.testmy.net is the only 3rd party test that works correctly with the Gen4. as for the Hughes speed test I have the same problem as you, when I run their test it constantly shows results of half of testmy and when hughes run their test through remote diag. the results they get are the same as I get through testmy, the reason that anyone could figure is the way Im routed to the speedtest server is causing the issue but since their are only a few of us that have this issue there is no real need to spend many hours of resources to try to fix it and I do get the same results as them by using testmy so for me all is good. I go by how web pages load and files download rather then relying solely on speed tests. but if your seeing slow speeds in general then the Mods can run remote diag. and get to the bottom of it.
Highlighted

Probably is a sign your gateway is overcrowded and will get better if you are able to get switched to another less crowded one (not likely)

Hello jpechols,

We've run diagnostics and while everything looks fine, your modem was running on very low memory. We've cleared it out and refreshed it. Could you try running a speed test from testmy.net or http://consumer.performancetests.hughesnet.com/ ? If you're still having the same slow experience, we can also reload the software of your modem and see if that helps. On a side note, you are currently on a Gateway that was recently (August 20th) upgraded to new software to provide better performance.

Thank you

Amanda
New Poster

Just curious, how do you run a Gen4 modem low on memory? is it a HT1000?
Assistant Professor

I'd like to know that myself and if it is something we can flush ourselves. Is it the .cvs logs?