Seriously?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ljaj2008
Freshman

Seriously?

I have been a HughesNet subscriber almost 2 years. After sending a very detailed email stating that, though our main minutes are used and throttled, we could get NO internet, not very slow, NOR when we were in our 50GB time (we are up at 6 a.m. daily). It would connect a few seconds, drop, connect a few MORE seconds, drop...

I get this politely worded "hey dumb***, you used up your minutes" email saying if I wanted to buy more time to provide YOU with data for testing, maybe you could help me, but you can only help me if I go buy tokens for my account.

I was given tokens when we kept having speed problems at the BEGINNING of my contract, but now, when you provide a new customer with nearly double the data I get for the same price (I admit, I was shopping Exede, and trying to be fair and do your latest offerings, too), you can't even add enough data to test the account and reset it to zero after the test?

How much longer is on my contract? It is time to move our service, and if an email stating that my regular minutes are used up (but have no connectivity on off hours either) gets me treated like a moron, maybe I should decide if it is worth staying here. SMH
6 REPLIES 6
ljaj2008
Freshman

And yes. I am upset. Things were working fine, nothing changed, and now I get 5 second bursts of connectivity. Going to the modem setup during the day didn't help when it actually pulled it up - sometimes when internet goes, it all goes. Having someone making sure the problem isn't on your side could be helpful for expensive decisions like, "Do I need to replace my wireless router?"

I know intermittent issues are hard to figure out sometimes. I also know I don't have regular minutes and the 50GB goes from 2 am to 8am, every day. I even told them in the memo. I have been using my cell phone as a wireless hotspot so my husband can use his laptop, and that is supposed to be data to let me run an art and photography website, because 10GB/month isn't enough interner for a family.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hi ljaj2008, you should plug one computer directly into the modem and see if any better. That would at least eliminate the router being part of the problem. Does your husband's laptop have a LAN port?

Also is the modem showing green status when you go here: http://192.168.0.1/ ? Except for being out of Anytime data of course.

I did finally get the modem at 128.168.0.1 while installing the new router today (hubby got impatient and told me to order one on Friday). First time that gave me anything other than, "Can't connect to the internet." All but the top "throttled" were green check marks. I have an Ethernet port. No idea on hubby's computer. I try to not use it much. His conspiracy theory websites sooner or late seem to give him weird continuous pop-ups that make me crazy after awhile.

Since we use the restricted bandwidth rules (reduced video quality, with most videos left for early morning or insomnia viewing), our only guess on being throttled so early is maybe a MS Office update triggered when we resubscribed to it after attempting to use it a couple weeks ago (it had been autopaid out of a lost debit card, and when we weren't using it, we didn't notice it expired). We even run the network as metered connections!

The throttled was a bit of a head scratcher, but we are willing to put up with it. The on and off again internet, though, has been really a frustrating, hair-pulling unhappiness.

I admit to suspecting the router. Or the LAN cable. Not being able to see the modem when it is hardwired to it and the DHCP server has an IP address range that will not conflict seemed a little suspicious to me. 😕
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

If you can't see the modem interface at http://192.168.0.1/ when directly connected then you most likely have a problem with your computer configuration or a bad cable. In rare cases the port on the modem could be bad.

Or it could be the router was going. This morning was not as fast as I would have liked. Maybe tomorrow morning I can test it. Like I said, I usually leave all the internet access to my husband, because 10GB is not enough for two of us. I miss being able to stream videos like the good ol' days, but satellite internet has no real competition out in the rural areas, and no one wants to invest in the infrastructure to provide it. The attitude is, "If internet is so important to you, move."

This morning the internet acted as it was supposed to. I gave up expecting consistency/high speed over a year ago. If hubby keeps getting dropped, I might take a look to make sure all the lights are right and reset the system, but I gave up speed testing, etc., and except for low quality YouTube, we do our best to only use it for my husband to read news websites.

But connectivity is back. Maybe I will speed test through router and directly tomorrow morning if it is not raining and not too cold out. Just can't motivate myself to leave a dry, warm bed to carry a laptop to the garage through cold rain! 😛