cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service doesn't meet our needs. Now locked into a 2 year contract.

Highlighted

Service doesn't meet our needs. Now locked into a 2 year contract.

Two months ago we called DirecTV to inquire about possible internet service bundles with our current DTV service. After asking what seemed like all the right questions, they responded with: “Your option is HughesNet...” and then laid out the pricing. Seemed harmless enough, so I trusted DTV and set up the installation.

The installers came out and put the additional dish on my house right next to the DTV dish, punched a couple of holes in my wall and installed the service. Overall, they were fine. Friendly, if quiet.

Three weeks passed and, while it was noticeably slower than our previous service, we hadn’t had any issues. Then everything started going REALLY slow. This went on for a few days and I finally called HughesNet support to see what the issue was. This is when I found out that there was nothing wrong with my equipment, but that we had exceeded our monthly data allowance. 25 days into our service, and the technician I was speaking to was the FIRST person to tell me about the 10GB allowance. Needless to say, I wasn’t thrilled with either company for glossing over this little detail. However, I thought to myself “if it took us 25 days to go through 10GB...?” so when he talked me into upgrading to 15GB for no extra charge, I though it sounded like a reasonable plan. After all, even if that didn’t work, there was still a 50GB plan lurking in the background. If I couldn’t get 15GB to work over the course of a month, surely 50GB would be just fine, right? He upgraded me to 15GB, gave me a few complimentary “tokens” and we were back up and running.

Well, we burned through the 15GB in less than a week.

By the time it was clear that the 15 GB wasn’t going to work either, I called for a second time. This time, with the specific intent to cancel. Only to find out that I had missed the 1 month trial period by 2 days. So - and I think you know where this is going – I was now locked into my contract and could only get out of it by paying the $400 ETF. Which, had I any indication that we were going to go through 15GB of data in less than a week, I would have GLADLY avoided and canceled during that first call a week earlier.  Needless to say, with canceling suddenly off the table due to a ridiculous fee, the technician offered another upgrade to the 50GB plan. I was skeptical, but after a long conversation, she and I both hoped against hope that the 50GB plan would be sufficient for us. It wasn’t.

Less than 2 weeks into our current cycle (month 2 of my lovely 24 month contract) we ran out of data again. All 50GB. Gone.

It is abundantly clear – now – that this service does not meet the needs for my family. To this day, I have no idea how we made it 3 weeks on 10 GB that first month. Unlike some customers I’ve seen, we actually do have the option for cable, etc., but I foolishly trusted DirecTV and now I get to check email at 0.12 Mbs for half the month and tell my kids they have to wait to Skype with Nana and Poppy until the 1st.

Bottom line, I get it. I’m stuck. But the nice fella over on Twitter suggested I come here, so I’m here to vent. Thank you for your time.
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Service doesn't meet our needs. Now locked into a 2 year contract.

Omg! I wish I had came here before I even brought this service. I hate to pay the 400 to terminate this service but will gladly get out of this service and I will do just that!!! I hate it totally and customer service does not know what they are doing either. I went to register online using MY google account and it pulled up some other customer's name and address. I explained this to customer service but the lady I talked acted like she didnt know what I was talking about! This is a RIP OFF!! and Direct TV is in on it!!

Now, would either of you like to ask for help?
Unless there is some avenue that I'm missing to get out of this contract, I believe the phone CS folks have exhausted all of my "options."

That seems less than helpful.
Alum

Hi cadeland,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear of your initial experience with us. Hopefully we can help you get the best out of your service. First thing is to realize that with satellite internet and metered data services managing data is a part of the process. You upgraded to the best package we offer. To better assist you, can you explain a bit further of the dynamics of your family? How many users, devices, and tasks you perform online? 

I'm surprised about this statement, "This is when I found out that there was nothing wrong with my equipment, but that we had exceeded our monthly data allowance. 25 days into our service, and the technician I was speaking to was the FIRST person to tell me about the 10GB allowance." .

Were you not explained this over the phone by a sales rep. We strive to make sure our users are not misled during a sales call, so we can definitely look into this for you. 

Finally to help get you started with data management here are some general tips to help you conserve it.

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

Chris

Assistant Professor

The biggest problem is it appears many new customers are not being informed of the unlimited period.

The worst service ever I'm only been here 30days
Assistant Professor

Lots of negative DirecTV comments lately about packages they've sold. Definitely seems some deception going on there. Would think Hughes would try to do everything in its power to get them to cleanup their act.

They also have to know the DTV box uses lots of data if connected to HughesNet.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comments. If I may:
First thing is to realize that with satellite internet and metered data services managing data is a part of the process. 
Realizing this "First thing" would have steered me far far away from this service. Again, none of this was made clear by my initial calls with DTV or the installation process. So, while I appreciate your transparency on this issue, it's too late to do me any good. 

As far as the dynamics of my family, we have 3 adults and two small children. So, at any given time, there are at least 2-3 laptops/smart devices going and streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime are constantly being used. One of the adults works from home sometimes and plays games occasionally.
I'm surprised about this statement, "This is when I found out that there was nothing wrong with my equipment, but that we had exceeded our monthly data allowance. 25 days into our service, and the technician I was speaking to was the FIRST person to tell me about the 10GB allowance." .
Again, I mostly blame DirecTV for this. Their bundle rep gave me ONE option for service. And at the end of the rather lengthy call, she speed-read through a script that I am sure, somewhere, included the data allowance details, but she never once explained what it meant or stopped to make sure this was going to be sufficient for us. I've filed a complaint with them about this interaction, but of course, they say it's a Hughes issue. To my recollection, no where in the installation follow up call or process did anyone mention the allowance. The installer did say once, "It's not a fast as Comcast, but it gets the job done." That was it. 

I mean, it's 2015. I haven't had a data allowance on an ISP (or cell phone) in over 10 years. I honestly didn't even think that was still a thing.