cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service doesn't meet our needs. Now locked into a 2 year contract.

Re: Service doesn't meet our needs. Now locked into a 2 year contract.

That's fine. Feel free to comment elsewhere.
Assistant Professor

All the cell phone companies I know of that advertise "unlimited" usage throttle after a certain amount is used, just like satellite. Which cell phone provider(s) are you saying is truly unlimited? I'd be happy to research and admit I'm wrong if there is an unlimited full speed provider out there.

Even most cable providers do have limits although quite high.

I'm on Verizon through my job. Perhaps it's not "unlimited" but I have never run into issues with using up data or throttling. Semantics aside, that's my point.
Associate Professor

Oh, you can bet your work place pays a pretty penny for a bulk package, there is a limit, just, your group of workers on the plan haven't managed to hit it yet.
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Bill, not so sure the first link is very current (2012). The 32 GB average user figure seems quite low especially with the number of people on cable internet streaming movies and TV shows in HD nowadays.
Associate Professor

Well, in this age, it kind of is bottom of the barrel as most things have become data intensive....  In the last 10 years we have gone from simple HTML sites with a little bit of flash to some very graphically intensive websites that use all sorts of languages and methods to deliver content.  Satellite is honestly, currently, the new "DSL" in terms of performance seeing as dialup and even DSL are being killed off.

How are you comparing DSL, WISP to make it better than satellite? Are you comparing Data vs No Data or Speed vs Speed? Sat definitely has it up on WISPs and DSL for speed - especially for the price vs WISP - some Cali WISPs have data caps too.. So where do you get your numbers?
Associate Professor

I compare based upon data as all the DSL providers here that are left (not many, and very few homes can get it now) offer similar speeds, and are capped, but have much higher caps.  No offense to Hughes to be honest. >.>

So you probably wouldn't loop in AT&T who offers top speeds of 6Mbps? Smiley Wink
Associate Professor

AT&T here in town has service at ~10Mbps and higher if you're willing to pay, though I guess you would call that uverse?

That aside, infrastructure as far as WISP and DSL here is quickly falling apart and becoming non-existent.  I really wanted WISP for years (sure you remember my stories about that?) well in the last few months they have lowered their caps, decreased maximum speeds, and kept the prices the same.  At this point, even high cost 4g LTE data is cheaper than our local WISP. Smiley Sad