cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service doesn't meet our needs. Now locked into a 2 year contract.

Re: Service doesn't meet our needs. Now locked into a 2 year contract.

Guess it comes down to preference then, or necessity. I think HughesNet started as the retirement internet, those who packed up after 50 years on the job and moved out to the peace and quiet, to be alone - or prefer a more secluded life. Now people are expanding the suburbs even further and faster than cable can keep up, so needs are changing as generations get older and start packing up their families for suburban life. That means more kids, more Pinterest wives, instagram husbands and more data needs. We know we need to adapt, but we can't transform a company who has part of their infrastructure in space overnight Smiley Happy

Yes - we're a great deal better than a lot of companies depending on how you chop the tree. Want fast speeds to check out your BFF Sandy's new dog on Facebook in the boonies? HughesNet. Want okay speeds, somewhat unreliable connection but a big data cap you'll probably never hit? Someone else.
Associate Professor

All points are valid, and they can be compared somewhat, we all know the upgrade path each technology takes, we all know cost association.  Some markets, HN would be bottom of the barrel, other markets like mine, they are becoming a godsend.  It's not just suburbs being built out like crazy and companies not keeping up, it's that cable/DSL providers survey an area every X amount of years for potential buildout.  When I talked to TWC, they said the last time my area was surveyed was back when Adelphia owned this area, they resurveyed and saw no reason to run a line because of one little creek bed making running a line here very costly, and it's turned into that for most everyone now.
Alum

Hi cadeland,

Your family dynamics are going to make it harder in manage data but I hope that some of the tips I have mentioned in my previous post help. 

Pertaining to your sales call. We will have it reviewed. Depending on what we find you may have recourse. This can range from allowing you to cancel with no early termination fee, or at least discount your monthly bill for the remainder of the contract. Once I have more info I will let you know. We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we help to address your concerns. 

Thank you,
Chris
Advanced Tutor

I've no doubt this is a training issue with DIRECTV sales reps. Most likely, they barely understand the mechanics of Satellite TV, let alone adding satellite Internet into the mix.

Same with their managers:
"Okay, everybody, today we're going to start selling bundles with satellite Internet!"
Sales Rep 1:
"What's satellite Internet?"
Sales Rep 2:
"What's a 'Bundle'?"
Sales Rep 3:
"How much do we get paid for selling it?"

http://www.hughesnet.com/dealers
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Assistant Professor

Alan, are you insinuating a bit like The Three Stooges?  Smiley Happy
Advanced Tutor

Sales Manager:
"Those are all great questions, gang, and I'm sure we'll figure it all out once we get in there and start selling. Just be sure to tell customers these HughesNet systems have a 'Data Allowance' each month.'" 
Sales Rep 1:
"What's 'Data?' You mean that pasty-faced guy on Star Trek - The Next Generation? Does that mean if you're watching Star Trek, you're using more Data?" 
Sales Manager:
"Well, sort of. The way it was explained to me was that you can might be using Data whenever you do 'Video On Demand' - we covered that topic yesterday - or if you connect to your wireless router with a cell phone, tablet or a laptop."
Sales Rep 2:
"What's a 'Laptop'?"
Sales Rep 3:
"Oh, I think I got it... So if we sell more 'Data,' we make more money, right?"
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com

Hey Chris,

Any update on this? We're 10 days into our latest cycle, haven't used any streaming, and we're running at about 54% of our Anytime Allowance left. Would really love to hear back about the call review.

My Family has just experienced this exact same setup. We got setup, everything was great then 25 days in we hit the limit. During the sales call the agent told us (under my insistance) that we had at least 60 gigs a month, not specifying that we would have to wake up in the middle of the night to use 50 gigs of it. So when we called to find out why the internet slowed down we were told about the whole anytime and bonus thing....like Cadeland we thought, well if we made it 25 days on it, we'll be fine. now, 6 days after the allowance reset we're out of anytime usage and screwed. I don't know anyone with more than one person in their family that can run two tvs streaming, three laptops, three tablets on 10 gigs a month. If we had been told about the anytime and bonus structure we never would have signed up. Needless to say, we're pissed off.

I know the feeling. I tried to cancel my service but I'm unable to as it cost 300 dollars to terminate my service. I now understand that this type of internet isn't good for streaming or online gaming like I was told it would be by a Hughes net agent. I feel lied to and tricked into signing on with hughes net. I hate this service with a passion but I'm trapped so I down graded from 100 bucks a month to 45 a month. I'd rather pay the 45 a month for the next 2 years then to pay 100 or more for the same kind of service you would get for 45. I wouldn't recommend this type of service to anyone at all.

We've had our service less than a week but I already realize it's not going to work out. Was told it would be faster than 4G LTE. It is 'some' faster than dial up, I'll give it that!
Sure wish I'd read these boards first!!! Just happy I've read them in time to get out before my 30 days are up!!!!!