Shoddy installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pattymotley
Freshman

Shoddy installation

The installer was pleasant but the installation looks awful and ruins the appearence of my home. Is there some way to get that changed? It is at my front door. I asked him to hide the cable but he left them out and I believe the cable comming off the roof will funnel rain onto a porch with a wood floor and cause damage.
13 REPLIES 13
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

patty,

The Official reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM.  They will be the ones to handle this issue.  They may not be able to find your account from your sign on so, in the meantime, it would be a good idea to post either a case number from a prior phone call or the serial number from your modem.  DO NOT POST YOUR SAN (your account number).  Only post either a case number or the serial number from your modem and they will be able to use the info to find your account and look into this for you. 

pam

The guy they sent out to move mine I told them to NEVER send him out again. First you do not curse in anyones home.He Called Hughesnet & Told them I poured pop into the modem,which I did not. I Had to pay him to bury the cables. You Could Tell He Did Not like his job at all. Im Sure These People Are Not Drug Tested.
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Hi Patty,

Bummer! It's my personal opinion that satellite dishes NEVER look attractive or improve the looks of one's home, but to have it at the front door with cables hanging around sounds particularly hideous, lol!

I'm glad your installer was nice. They do not normally bury the lines for free, but I'm wondering since it's at the front door of your house if HughesNet would make an exception and pay for the cables to be buried.

The thing is, the installers are not HughesNet employees, they are independent contractors. They have to buy modems and routers and cables, etc. up front with their own money and then get reimbursed by HughesNet once they install them. Dish Network works the same way. They also have to get reimbursed for gas and mileage.

My installer was really nice! He turned out to be a neighbor up the road a couple of miles. My Dish Network guy was great too! He installed a metal pole and the satellite during a thunder storm! We made hot chocolate for him. Someone on another thread complained recently that their installer asked to use their restroom. Well geez, what are they supposed to do? Where I live, out in farm country, he'd have to drive about ten miles to find a public restroom!

These guys and gals only get paid for the install, not for burying cables, making them look pretty, etc. Luckily, my satellite dishes are at the back end of my house and the cables actually look fairly decent, as cables go.

But in your situation, I hope HughesNet will fix it so it isn't so ugly and so you don't have water dripping onto your deck! If the front door is the only place your satellite dish can go, I think they should try to minimize the negative visual effects.

As GabeU said, the official reps will be back Monday morning. They are really awesome and I know they'll do everything they can to resolve the issue to your satisfaction. 🙂
Liz

Good morning Patty,

Welcome the community and thanks for posting. We'd like to look into this for you so I've pulled up your account to investigate. Once I have any updates to share, I will post back.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz

Hi Patty,

We've dispatched a tech at no cost to you to address your concerns. Please keep in mind that optimal performance may be the reason for the particular dish placement. The tech will work with you to try to accommodate you.

Please let us know how the site visit goes.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

pattymotley
Freshman

I knew the dish would have to go on the front of my house for a southern exposure but leaving cables exposed where they could have been hidden and a possible drip hazard was not expected. I had actually asked the installer if he could hide the cable and he said yes. I didn't notice till after he had left what he had done. If there was going to be an issue he should have informed me. Everything is right where it looks awful. He could have put the dish at the edge of the roof, about 10 feet over and would not have had the cable hanging down where he did. He could have hid it under the eave of the roof. I know it would have been exposed going down from the roof but this is ridiculous.
pattymotley
Freshman

The tech has not been here yet, scheduled for tomorrow, but I also noticed this morning that the installer had ripped the shingle where the cable comes down. I have been in the progress of a remodel and he chose a spot where a piece of trim was missing and this caused the shingle to tear going into a corner of the roof and this may cause any rain to funnel back to the fascia board. I already have one issue with this but this has exacerbated the problem and could cause my roof to leak back into the house and cause water damage to my ceiling.  I really am starting to have some major concerns about this. What is HughesNet's policy concerning interior damage caused by exterior installations?
Liz

Hi Patty,

Thanks for posting. I've passed your concerns on to your local dealer. The tech arriving on site tomorrow will address your damage concerns as best as he can.

-Liz

pattymotley
Freshman

The tech just left and did a great job. I do appreciate this. Everything is hidden and out of the way. I can only wait for the storm coming to see if the torn shingle from the initial installation will be a problem. But I am well pleased with the job done today. Thank you.
Liz

That's wonderful, Patty. Thank you for letting me know how it went. I'm so glad to hear you're content with the work. I'll pass on your comments to our installation department and the dealer. 

Feel free to come back to the community if you have additional concerns.

Thanks,
Liz

pattymotley
Freshman

Liz,

With Matthew approaching I went out and took a photo of the damaged shingles. The first gentleman who came out tore the shingle where the bracket was installed and the shingle in the corner. I had explained to him that the missing trim piece was an issue and that the front of the house where he put the cables was about to be remodeled.  I don't know why he chose to do that the way he did but I do now have some concerns about water damage to my ceilings if the rain runs back under the roofing. The gentleman who came out today also took photos but not sure if he got one of the shingle ripped up on the roof.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Patty, that is ugly. Hopefully with the slope of the roof the rain will simply run off and not back up into the house. There should also be tar paper under the shingles which should also provide some protection.

Personally I would get a tube of Black Jack to seal them down better but don't expect you to do that and you might end up making things worse if you don't know how to do it.

Are you close to where Matthew is headed?
pattymotley
Freshman

I live in central South Carolina. We are expecting 2-4 inches of rain last I heard. I am concerned about the buckling in the shingle. There is a tear about 8 inches father down and it causes the rain to pour back on the fascia board. Like I said, I am in the process of a remodel but because of my health that has been put on hold. I, myself would not attempt to try to fix anything and right now I have limited funds so can't call a roofer at this time. The original tear only effects the fascia but not sure if this will cause the water to run up into the interior. I am concerned.