cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showtime and Buffering

kenyon
Freshman

Showtime and Buffering

When I log on to Showtime, the movie I'm watching keeps cutting out. It starts and stops. It can take 2+ hours to watch a 1 1/2 hour movie. I do not have this problem with Netflix or Amazon Prime. What's the deal? Is it HughesNet or Showtime? How can i fix it?
3 REPLIES 3
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Showtime and Buffering

@kenyon 

It may be that the Showtime is more sensitive to the high latency and congestion with HughesNet than that of Netflix or Amazon Prime.  How you're accessing Showtime may also make a difference, as in the device you're using and/or whether you're using an app or signing in directly to their website.  What I'm referring to with the latter concerns progressive vs adaptive streaming.  

With this said, there may not be much you can do to improve it, unfortunately.  HughesNet is currently under a very high load due to so many people being home and the service being used so much more than it normally would, and there is also a prioritization policy in place to help working and schooling applications, which means that other high bandwidth applications, like streaming, can end up taking a back seat, as the system only has so much bandwidth.  Because of this, streaming may not work very well.  

However, with all of this said, in order to ensure that the problem isn't due to low overall service speed, it would be a good idea for you to run a few speed tests.  To do so, please see the following instructions, and please be sure to run the tests as instructed.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share your testmy.net "My Results" page URL with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while the speed tests are being performed
-the testing device should be the ONLY device connected to the HughesNet modem while testing
-use the manual 25MB size download test file
-if testing upload instead of download, use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site.

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
kenyon
Freshman

thanks for the reply. I'm using my desktop Mac to sign into the website directly. I think you're right about the demands on HughesNet. After midnight my time (PST) the buffering stopped and I was able to watch the last 1/2 hour relatively uninterrupted (only a few glitches.) As soon as I'm finished with breakfast and catching up on the news I'll run the tests. Thanks for the link. And thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@kenyon 

You're very welcome.  Smiley Happy

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro