Sick of crappy service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rhondatuley
Sophomore

Sick of crappy service

I have called numerous time to get technical support. When I do get someone they don't understand because of the language barrier and when I do get another person I get the "your system is running at 96%" that's total horse crap!

I need a replacement modem asap. Been paying for the service and every time I reboot my modem the service gets WORSE! So far crickets from hughesnet.
36 REPLIES 36

@rhondatuley wrote:
My service with HughesNet really started getting bad about a year ago.

Sounds like a conjested beam.  They can switch you to a different satellite (if you're able to hit it) which could be less conjested.

You really, really have to keep at them, though, to do this.  Talking to foriegn support won't help.  They follow the script as if a gun is at their head.  But if you call at the right time and get someone in the US, you'll have a better chance.  They'll refer you to engineering, and after going back and forth with them, they may suggest changing satellites.

Document your speed tests.  Document your calls and case numbers.  Keeping a paper trail really helps, especially if you have to take it to the final level...  The dreaded B...B...Something.

The problem you're facing now is that the entire internet has slowed to a crawl, and satellite is heavily affected.  It is impossible to tell if you are having a problem specifically, or if it is just general internet traffic.

By waiting so long, you shot yourself in the foot.  You'll likely have to wait until everything gets back to normal before you'll be able to get your specific problem addressed.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"especially if you have to take it to the final level... The dreaded B...B...Something."

That organisation is neither the final level nor dreaded. It's simply a nonprofit whose mission is to increase marketplace trust. It is not a government agency, and it has no authority whatsoever. Its membership is voluntary, and they give a grade to their members based on their responsiveness to customer issues. HN has the highest grade, A+. 

While those companies who join the organisation seek to create good customer relations and to listen to their customers, customer complaints to the organisation do not always result in the resolution the customer wants, as in many cases, the customer is actually wrong, and the company can turn the customer's request down and provide documentation of why; for example, HN can provide documentation in the form of their subscriber agreement, which clearly states that speeds are not guaranteed.  

@maratsade wrote:

HN can provide documentation in the form of their subscriber agreement, which clearly states that speeds are not guaranteed.  

This is a widly misunderstood part of the contract.  It is not, as so many seem to think, a Get Out Of Jail Free for HughesNet, ViaSat, or any company that tries to use it.

Consider this: A company says you'll get speeds up to 100 Mbps, but "speeds are not guarenteed." You sign up, and you get speeds of 8K.

"But speeds are not guarenteed," you say!

Rubbish.

Contracts have to be reasonable to be enforcable.  If a company has a contract to provide a certain speed, they have to provide that speed, or make reasonable attempts to do so.  If they don't, they are considered to be in violation of the contract, regardless of any weasle clauses like "speeds are not guarenteed".

And yes, I deal with contract law all the time.

No, HughesNet is not trying to screw over the OP.  HughesNet generally tries to give the speeds it advertises.

But if the OP is having constant, unending problems getting the speeds promised, he does have a remedy.  The remedy, sadly, is just being able to get out of the contract without penalty.

But like I said, if the OP keeps working with tech support, has the documentation, they may switch him to another, less conjested beam if possible, even if it means changing satellites.

He just has to wait until the internet returns to normal.

maratsade

n/c

maratsade

"Contracts have to be reasonable to be enforcable.  If a company has a contract to provide a certain speed, they have to provide that speed, or make reasonable attempts to do so.  If they don't, they are considered to be in violation of the contract, regardless of any weasle clauses like "speeds are not guarenteed"."

Actually, you are quite incorrect.  

GabeU

@lighthope1 wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

HN can provide documentation in the form of their subscriber agreement, which clearly states that speeds are not guaranteed.  

This is a widly misunderstood part of the contract.  It is not, as so many seem to think, a Get Out Of Jail Free for HughesNet, ViaSat, or any company that tries to use it.

Consider this: A company says you'll get speeds up to 100 Mbps, but "speeds are not guarenteed." You sign up, and you get speeds of 8K.

"But speeds are not guarenteed," you say! 

A service offering 100Mbps and a customer getting 8Kbps is a far cry from a service offering 25Mbps and a customer getting an average of 9Mbps in a time of unprecedented system load.

Edit:  The wording of the contract, as in "Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed.", are in place for a time just like this.

If the OP has had months of issues that they have called about, those records will be in the system and can be used to demonstrate that the issue(s) existed prior to this.

rhondatuley
Sophomore

Yeah. Using testmy.net and getting 4.9Mbps! Woo screaming speed. I need a refund for the other 20Mbps I am supposed to get.

Oh, and because my outside dish points SW I cannot geographically see how snow in Missoula Montana is affecting me in Texas?!?! Maybe I flunked geography?

By the way I work for a defense contractor in the US and required to work...
maratsade

The signal goes from the satellite to the ground station and from the ground station to your site. Weather at the ground station can affect weather at your site.  Speeds are not guaranteed, as is clearly stated in the subscriber agreement, which is available online. 

To have speed issues addressed on this site, you will need to follow the procedure outlined here:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/bd-p/TechSupport

rhondatuley
Sophomore

Have you tried using a lan cable - they make full use of the available bandwidth. Otherwise, setting your 5GHz wifi channel to Wireless Mode 11/a/n/ac and the bandwidth to 20/40/80MHz may help your situation (unless you're not able to use 5GHz wifi, or 802.11ac).

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

The very first test I did was from my phone. I switched to my laptop and connected the cable. I had 2 hours of 5 minute tests with a cable
maratsade

Rhonda,

Your upload speeds look fine (HN speeds are up to 3Mbps up).  Your downloads are not stellar, but they're not horrible either.  I think what you're experiencing is the result of congestion + prioritization, plus latency.  Not sure that they can do anything, given your numbers, to be honest. 

rhondatuley wrote:
The very first test I did was from my phone. I switched to my laptop and connected the cable. I had 2 hours of 5 minute tests with a cable

GabeU

@rhondatuley wrote:
https://testmy.net/quickstats/rhondatuley

If you have Gen5, you need to use the 25MB file size, as indicated in the instructions.  The 12MB file size is for those who have Gen4.  

If your service was installed after March 2017, you have Gen5.  

i have no idea if I have Gen4 or Gen 5. I was installed before 2017 I believe. If I use the 25 mb file it will be worse but I will give it a shot! Standby for updated stats in a while.
GabeU

@rhondatuley wrote:
i have no idea if I have Gen4 or Gen 5. I was installed before 2017 I believe. If I use the 25 mb file it will be worse but I will give it a shot! Standby for updated stats in a while.

One way to know for sure would be the HughesNet modem you're using.  If you have the HT1000 or HT1100, you definitely have Gen4.  If you have the HT2000W, as in the one with built in WiFi, and it's the original modem from your installation, you have Gen5.

GabeU

@rhondatuley 

Slow speed does not indicate a need for a replacement modem.  As well, your State Code of 0.0.0 signifies that your equipment and connection are fine.    

Right now the system is under incredible strain due customer load, which doubled in a mere week up to 3/20.  It may have doubled again since then.  Maybe more.  Because of this, things are running slowly.  And, because beam and gateway load also come into play, some people may be more affected than others.   

Additionally, HughesNet has put a prioritization policy in place that is favoring schooling and work related activities during times of heavy load, which is happening more as time goes on, and may very well be around the clock at this point.  But, again, because of system load, even those activities can be greatly affected.

The "stupid people in the "Phillipines"" aren't going to set up a tech visit unless there's a legitimate reason to do so.  Your slow speed is very likely being caused by system load/congestion.