Signal Strength Low, Again.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UHF62
New Poster

Signal Strength Low, Again.

Unfortunately, for the third time since I've had Gen 5, my signal strength has dropped into the 70s, and the service becomes slow and unusable. The latest round started Sunday. I've had to take time off from work to have a tech come out and repoint the dish the other two times. Is there anything we can do to keep the dish pointed in the right direction? I can't take off from work to wait most of the day for a tech every few months. I absolutely hate having to talk to tech support for about an hour and a half just to tell them it has drifted again, because the connetion is so awful we can't hear each other, and the language barrier, and having to try all the troubleshooting again (turning the modem off and on already) that I did before I called. 

6 REPLIES 6
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Your dish should not need realignment that often. How is it mounted, does it seem loose? Do you have trees gowing in the path and/or leaves coming out?

Again, sounds like something is wrong with how it is mounted or the location.

Dish is on a pole, and it is shooting above the treeline. It seems pretty sturdy, but apparently it's not as sturdy as it seems. Once it realigned, it will work for a few months, then suddenly be out of alignment all over again. 

Hi UHF62 (great movie)

I agree with BirdDog, the mount or mount location is more than likely causing the issue. I'll run a quick diagnostic check to confirm.

Thanks,

Amanda

Hello,

I do see that the signal has slowly gotten lower and lower over the the past month or so. 70 is an operational signal strength but not by much (30 is the lowest). Do you think you'd be able to judge if the ground around the pole where your dish is mounted seems very soft or "squishy"? It is a possibility that damp, mushy soil from rain, runoff, puddling, etc could make it easy for the cement around the pole to wiggle. 

~Amanda

Just a FYI..  I have seen roots under the concrete actually move the pole.. Don't know if yours is mounted near any trees or not..

Hi UHF62

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and provide any updated responses to our posts above.

Thank you,

Amanda