cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal strength and speed declined... Related?

Signal strength and speed declined... Related?

Hello,
     I would like to start off by saying that I have been very pleased with my current Hughes system since signing up in July of last year. Until around a month ago, our service has been very reliable and fast. I am not sure of what happened, but I have noticed that my signal strength dropped from the normal 146 to around  128. I understand that this is an acceptable number, however, it seems as though my service has declined around the  same time that I noticed this change. I would like for a rep to investigate my system, if possible.
Thank you!
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: Signal strength and speed declined... Related?

Welcome to the community Randy. I am just a customer like you but just went through an issue with my system that they have done a great job helping me with here.  All the reps are off until Monday but they will require a recent case number from a phone call to HughesNet or the serial number off the bottom of your modem. They will also want to see a set of speed tests. You should perform 3 sets of five tests through out the day.  You can perform these tests at this link. 

http://consumer.performancetests.hughesnet.com/

This will speed up your response from the team greatly. Everyone here is quite helpful when given a chance.  

I hope you have a great day and a speedy resolution to your problem. 
Associate Professor

Hello Randy,

As Thomas stated, Hughesnet will need you to perform a few things before they can attempt to help you.  The first is the serial number from the sticker on the back of your modem, a recent case number, or your ESN.  Do NOT post your SAN/DSS numbers, phone number, or home address, nor your email address.

With that said, speed and signal are not related till you hit a signal so low that your unit is having connectivity issues.

Please do run the three sets of speed tests each day for a few days if at all possible.  Hughes prefers to have a set in the morning, a set in the middle of the day, and a set in the evening.  The more information they have on what your speeds are through out the day, on different days, can help them pinpoint your issue.

Also, please, when doing the tests ensure you by-pass your router, and have your computer plugged directly into the Hughesnet modem.  Speedtest results with the router in place are mostly not acceptable as consumers routers in the past have shown to be flaky.

Thanks for the info, guys.
Here is a pic of my speeds, and my ESN is: 10439893
I was not able to run a test mid-day, and my signal was 120 or better during all testing.

Hughes-Net will be in at 9  till  5  but that is a good start  , and a good read for they , Hughes-Net Reps ,,   not the ones on the phone,  you should have better experience now and if this community forum can help in anyway , this is really the best place to start !!!  now have a good night and will follow you in the morning , fo i have much still to learn !!!

Hi Randy,

Thanks for posting and for adding your compliments, we're happy to hear that! We can certainly run some diagnostics on your site to ensure the service and equipment is functioning normally. 

Thanks Thomas, Charles, and Christopher for steering Randy in the right direction!

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Thank you!
Is there anything that you need me to do on my side?

You're welcome Randy. We just ask for your patience, we are working hard to address your concerns as well as those of everyone else in the community. We can get your diagnostics done over the next few days and then post back once we're done, so please sit tight until then. Smiley Happy

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Randy , you are in good hands now, but if the community can help this is certainly the place to address your concerns and problems and a lot less hassles than over the phone !!!!

Hi Randy,

Your diagnostics showed that Web Acceleration was disabled, and this can affect system performance. You should only disable Web Acceleration as a workaround for specific scenarios - more often than not those scenarios involve accessing a specific site. For optimal speeds please remember to enable Web Acceleration once you have accessed the website in question.

To re-enable Web Acceleration, go to the System Control Center (SCC):  http://192.168.0.1/  

Click on the gray "i" icon at the top, to the right of "System Information" to go to Advanced Configuration and Statistics.

Click on "Web Acceleration" in the left side menu bar. 

Click on "Control" under Web Acceleration sub-menu.

Un-check the "Disable Web Acceleration" box in the main screen.

Please let me know if speeds improve after that.

Thanks, 
Liz

Thanks,
Liz