Signal strength?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clutch1819
New Poster

Signal strength?

I just had service installed 3 days ago. I can barely load a webpage. YouTube or any video for that matter, out the question. Is there a way to view signal strength? The installer put the dish close to the backside of my mobile home and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.
7 REPLIES 7
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Go to this page:  http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status

The signal strength will be in the box labeled WAN Info. 

Also, check what the numbers are next to State Code (that can be found on the same page, in the first box)

State code is 0.0.0
Signal is 111.
What are good signal numbers vs bad?
maratsade

0.0.0 means your system is working fine: the signal is coming in from the satellite to the gateway just fine, and it's going from the gateway to your house just fine, like it's supposed to. 

The signal strength you have is excellent. 

If you're having issues, it may have something to do with something on your side of the equation: when the signal gets to your network, something on your side is not working well. 

What devices are you using? You may need to make sure everything has all its software updates. 

I have a camera system plugged into port 1 of the modem. An outdoor 8 port POE switch on port 2. The poe has 6 of my cameras plugged into it. I'm assuming this wouldn't affect my speeds? Other than that I have my ps4 connected thru wifi which has been off. My tv was connected by wire to try Amazon prime video but It wont play anything

I have tried unplugging the camera system with no change. It's only setup to live view if needed. I haven't set it up to send notifications for motion or anything.
maratsade

Have you made sure everything has up-to-date software? 

It sounds like your cameras may not need to be using wifi all the time, just when motion is detected, right?  I wonder if they're drawing wifi anyway. 

Do you have a laptop? Is that upated to the latest software (Windows or Mac OS)? 

I wonder if you PS4 may be connecting to the wifi. 

You may want to disconnect everything from the wifi, turn off everything, then restart the modem, wait a few minutes to make sure it's fully restarted, then connect everything again, one thing at a time.  I would check the speeds every time, that is, connect one thing, check. Connect the next, check. This may help to see whether one of those things is the culprit. 

Also, you may want to start a speeds record by creating a free account at Testmy.net, then running speed tests there. On Testmy, you will need to use the manual speed test and choose a 25MB file size.  Run 3 tests, spaced about 3 to 5 minutes apart.  Run these batches 3 or 4 times a day, maybe once in the morning, once in the afternoon, once in the evening, etc., and do them over 2 or 3 days, so you get a good number of tests.

Having this record will help the HN engineers figure out what may be wrong. 

Good morning Clutch1819,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting.

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. I did run diagnostics on your site and everything is working normally. You might want to try enabling the Video Data Saver, as long as you're not trying to stream in HD. You can learn more on the Video Data Saver here. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you. 

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!