Sling/Prime/Netflix streaming issues

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RonDvorak
Sophomore

Sling/Prime/Netflix streaming issues

Well since my last post has gone to the bottom with no additional help I figured I would start a new one.

I tried to watch the opening night of the NBA last night using my sling account and of course I would get about 5-10 seconds of video and then 10-20 seconds of a black screen. This occurs on my Roku tv along with two android boxes that I have. ALL 3 do the same thing and nothing else is connected at that time also. The one thing in common is the internet provider.
I’m requesting that if this can’t be resolved by months end I need out of my contract so I can get a provider that does work.
30 REPLIES 30
Liz

Hi Ron,

Please try disabling Interference Mitigation in your Roku to see if that improves your streaming performance. Here are instructions on how to do so:

https://sites.google.com/site/rokucomlinkaut/home/preventingrokudirectwi-fiaccessfrombreakingthrough...

Can you please tell me which Android boxes you're using? From your previous posts with the requested info, do you mean your Amazon Firestick and Sling box?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

When following that procedure I don’t get an interfaces option under the wireless secret screen.

My older android box is an Element Ti5 and newer one is a D905.

Thanks for the info Ron. I'm escalating your case to engineering for their insight. I'll post back once I have any questions or instructions from them.  Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

So on Oct 31, HN shows 19GB of data left. Spent the weekend at home, watched 2-3 shows of TWD on Netflix Friday and Saturday night, I had numerous streaming issues both nights, minimum of 4 per episode. Sunday morning shows 0 data remaining for the 16 days left. I spend only weekends at home, how in the heck is the data used so fast and especially with such poor quality and customer service.

I received a call from HN early in the week and I told him I wasn't home and couldn't do anything until Friday at which he told me to call in to tech support. Isn't HN suppose to be trying to fix my issues?? I'm so done with this company!! I want out of this contract because the service isn't providing what they said they would.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@RonDvorak 

If by TWD you're referring to The Walking Dead, and if you mean 2-3 shows in total, that's around 6-9GB in HD, give or take.  If you mean 2-3 each night, it's double that, at around 12GB to 18GB in HD, give or take.  Depending on the cause of the buffering, that amount can increase.  

Keep in mind that any other devices with an active connection to HughesNet can still use data, even if you aren't actively doing anything with them (updates, cloud connections, syncing, etc.).  I don't know if Liz can see what devices used the data and how much each used, but if she can I'm sure she'll let you know what did so.

Yes, The Walking Dead, but i have all my apps set to medium quality, assuming SD or lower, so no HD was used.

Good morning RonDvorak,

Our engineers are currently discussing your case. Once I have any instructions or news for you I'll let you know.

Hi RonDvorak,

I see one of our techs visited your site today and made adjustments. Please monitor your system performance and let us know how it goes this week.

Spoke with the tech yesterday while he was there. Only a slight adjustment to the receiver to get better numbers. We watched sling for awhile and it had a lot of pixelating and some pausing yet. He said he wasn’t able to view the router to see what was connected but I disconnected all devices and he viewed the router still showing the lights blinking on the front.
RonDvorak
Sophomore

I've had HN for about 3-4 months now and have never seen such terrible streaming with an IP. I called in after the first two months and found out that I'm using more than the 20G i was paying for even though I travel for work and am home seldom. So they said they would bump me up to the 30G plan for 3 months trial. Well I"ve finally gotten settled in to my place and I have a Roku tv and one android box. I purchased Sling recently and can not run any stream from it for more than 10 seconds without it stopping for another 10 seconds. The same with my android box, no streaming works on it either. So I called tech support Friday night to only have the technician hang up on me after I requested service next week and she wants to charge for service on a product that is clearly not work. Has ANYONE be able to get an resolution on their streaming? My Download speed show 30G with their preferred speed check but I know something isn't working right...

My GF's 10g works 10x better than this HN 30. 

Frustrated

Smiley Frustrated

GabeU

@RonDvorak 

When you stream in HD, are you being sure to turn off, or pause, the Video Data Saver?  If not, give it a try and see if it makes any difference.  

Won’t that increase data usage? I already use everything within 10 days as it is.
GabeU

@RonDvorak 

If you're streaming in HD, yes, but HD streaming will normally buffer without doing so.  The Video Data Saver throttles the speed of the service while streaming to that which is amenable to SD, or 480p.  If the streaming source can't automatically adjust its resolution to work with the lower speed, or there is no way to manually adjust it, and the source continues to attempt HD streaming, buffering will be the result.  

It varies a bit by source, but going by Netflix's amounts, streaming in HD uses around 3GB of data per hour, SD around 700MB and LD around 350MB.

So i disabled the video data saver and saw no difference in either my Roku tv or android box streaming. At this point a technician needs to come on site and try to resolve my issue otherwise this service does not meet expectations of a 30G download.

maratsade

The system is designed to do 25Mbps down and 3 Mbps up. These speeds are not guaranteed (see the service agreement) and depend on many factors, including but not limited to latency, congestion, and network management. 

The HN mods are the ones to decide whether a tech needs to be sent out, depending on troubleshooting on your side and theirs. You may have to run speed tests following the protocol outlined here:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

RonDvorak wrote:

So i disabled the video data saver and saw no difference in either my Roku tv or android box streaming. At this point a technician needs to come on site and try to resolve my issue otherwise this service does not meet expectations of a 30G download.

Hi Ron,

I'm glad you found the community and already started working with Gabe, thank you for posting. No need for a tech at this point, I just ran diagnostics on your site and found that the HughesNet equipment is working properly, with the HughesNet modem currently getting 38 Mbps down.

We'll have to troubleshoot individual devices to pinpoint trouble spots.

Right now I see an iPhone connected to the 2.4 GHz network, along with two other devices. I don't know for sure what they are, but their MAC addresses end in 9d and de.

Let's see how streaming directly from one isolated device works (without Roku or anything like that). 

First make sure nothing else is connected to the internet except for the iPhone. 

Stream something on the iPhone and provide the following information:

-What are you streaming? (YouTube, Netflix, Facebook video, Hulu, Amazon, etc.)

-In what streaming quality are you watching? (480p, 720p, 1080p, etc.)

-Is the Video Data Saver on or off (currentlty it's off).

-What exactly are you experiencing when streaming, buffering, pixelation, etc?

-What time are you testing streaming?

These are all the questions for now so we know how streaming on just the iPhone fares. You may do this troubleshooting at your own convenience. 

I did put in a call Friday night to tech support and we ran the speed test that you guys require and yes, it shows acceptable speed, I expect to see nothing else but that.

I purchased Sling through my Roku tv and it plays for 10 seconds then goes black for 5-10 secs. This occurs ALL the time. Right now I have CBS sports app running an now issues. It seems that all the apps you have to pay a subscription for don't work. Netflix has shown problems, Amazon prime never wants to start up, Sunday NFL ticket has not shown any issues.

The android box, I use Kodi and can select SD rate but that even has issues.

Let's see how streaming directly from one isolated device works (without Roku or anything like that). 

First make sure nothing else is connected to the internet except for the iPhone. 

Using Amazon Prime on my phone and currently trying to load the Sopranos. 

Netflix, Sling, Kodi, Sunday NFL ticket, Amazon

I have no idea as i don't see them listed on some shows or apps, I assume the app determines this my download speed

It was on, turned off to try to trouble shoot.

Sling pauses contantly and is impossible to view

Netfilx has many interrruptions during the course of one hour of viewing

-What time are you testing streaming? Mainly evenings. Work during the day.

I did put in a call Friday night to tech support and we ran the speed test that you guys require and yes, it shows acceptable speed, I expect to see nothing else but that.

I purchased Sling through my Roku tv and it plays for 10 seconds then goes black for 5-10 secs. This occurs ALL the time. Right now I have CBS sports app running an now issues. It seems that all the apps you have to pay a subscription for don't work. Netflix has shown problems, Amazon prime never wants to start up, Sunday NFL ticket has not shown any issues.

The android box, I use Kodi and can select SD rate but that even has issues.

ok 

done

Amazon-took awhile to load then ran for 10 minutes without interruption

Sling-i reduced the speed to medium (1.2 mb/s). I'm still seeing some pausing, about 10 secs every couple minutes. No pixeling.

I have no idea as i don't see them listed on some shows or apps, I assume the app determines this my download speed. I did move Sling to med.

It was on, turned off to try to trouble shoot.

Mainly streaming interruption. pixel seems fine

-What time are you testing streaming? Mainly evenings. Work during the day. testing phone around lunch hour

Well I replied back with my findings yesterday 10/10 and now i see it never went through. Great!!

GabeU

@RonDvorak wrote:

Well I replied back with my findings yesterday 10/10 and now i see it never went through. Great!!

Your reply from yesterday morning about disabling the Video Data Saver and it not making any difference is there, if that's what you're referring to.  However, if you're referring to a reply to Liz's post from yesterday regarding the info and questions in it, I don't see any reply notifications in my email regarding such, so it likely never went through for some reason.  😞