cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Bandwidth

Slow Bandwidth

I can't watch Amazon or Netflix because the videos are always buffering due to slow bandwidth. What is going on? I should not have this problem. Please advise as to what is going on.
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Slow Bandwidth

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Slow Bandwidth.

I can't watch Amazon or Netflix because the videos are always buffering due to slow bandwidth. What is going on? I should not have this problem. Please advise as to what is going on.
Alum

Hi brnewbe,

We appreciate the post and would like to welcome you to the community! Currently, your account is subject to the Fair Access Policy, meaning the data allowance has been exceeded and now the speeds have been reduced until your monthly allowance resets or until you purchase and use a token. 

If you find that your current plan doesn't meet your needs, rather than buying tokens constantly, you may want to consider upgrading to a plan with a bigger data allowance. 

Let us know if you have additional questions. 

Thanks, 
Assistant Professor

You should also set Netflix to stream in SD, or better yet low definition, as outlined here: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

Streaming in HD will eat through your data very quickly. The bad thing about Amazon is they don't have a setting for playback definition and most things are sent in HD.

Thank you for all the information. We have made some life changes as my husband is now at home with health issues, partial seizures. I will call and check into a bigger data allowance.
Alum

Hello brnewbe,

Well wishes to your husband. Hope he gets better. If you have anymore questions or concerns feel free to let us know.

Thanks,
Chris

Check to see it you have the newer modem as this was my issue until I upgraded to the newer modem. And yes, check your settings while streaming Netflix. I t will help greatly, If you just have to have it in HI-DEF, you may have to wait till off peak times., as there is no restriction on this issue. Hope this helped.

dont use netflix, it is very horrible on a hughesnet system. i use hulu, and i lower my play speed to 650kbs. bad weather can cause buffering, buffering in the daytime on a nice day, you may need your system repointed if you havent used all of your data allowance
Assistant Professor

Hulu simply has a different way of doing it like YouTube. You click on the gear icon as soon as the video starts. Netflix has a playback setting in the user account settings (as I linked to above) so all video will stream at selected definition and no need to select each time.

One is not better than the other, just have to choose SD (360p) or better yet low (240p) no matter which service. With Netflix it is "set it and forget it", with Hulu must set it each time you watch.

Netflix is not horrible on HughesNet just like Hulu isn't if the right definition, speed as you put it, is used. Besides Netflix has "Peaky Blinders" and other very good original content.  Smiley Happy

PS: Amazon Prime is horrible on HughesNet, no way to set streaming definition.