Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Connection Reality Check

Highlighted
New Poster

Slow Connection Reality Check

Hello!

I am helping my mother try to resolve connection issues that are very noticeable and problematic when running GoogleChat or Zoom meetings where there is a mixture of video and audio.  Ring is also a challenge.

I tried to research the tech topics here to see if there were any modem setting options or what else may be going on.  The wide range in download speeds seem to be associated with time of day and likely bandwidth competition with everyone else trying to drink from the same hose.  I ran the recommended tests and sizes (except for the most recent one which was only just a barometer check and can be ignored).  

https://testmy.net/quickstats/RCollette

Is her latency and speeds just a limitation of the pathway or is there something that can be done to help increase her speed?  Thoughts or ideas?

Thank you for your help.

Roger

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Re: Slow Connection Reality Check

Roger, unless she has run out of data, her speeds should be higher.   From a device connected to her wifi, access this page: http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status 

What is the number next to State Code?

RSHugger wrote:

Hello!

I am helping my mother try to resolve connection issues that are very noticeable and problematic when running GoogleChat or Zoom meetings where there is a mixture of video and audio.  Ring is also a challenge.

I tried to research the tech topics here to see if there were any modem setting options or what else may be going on.  The wide range in download speeds seem to be associated with time of day and likely bandwidth competition with everyone else trying to drink from the same hose.  I ran the recommended tests and sizes (except for the most recent one which was only just a barometer check and can be ignored).  

Is her latency and speeds just a limitation of the pathway or is there something that can be done to help increase her speed?  Thoughts or ideas?

Thank you for your help.

Roger

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Please remove or black out your SAN number. That's your account number and it's not something you want others to know. 

The system appears to be working as it should, given the State Code of 0.0.0 and all the green checkmarks.  

Given that your speeds seem abnormally low, the HughesNet reps on this site may get involved in your case.  They are here approximately 9 to 5 EST. They may take a while to respond as they seem to be spread quite thinly between this site and the social media sites, so give them some time.   @Liz 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Highlighted
New Poster

Capture2.jpgCapture1.jpg

Sorry if this is a duplicate... I was not seeing my edited version of my original post with this information in it.

Highlighted

@RSHugger,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. It does appear you are experiencing slow speeds when running remote diagnostics. I have made some adjustments to the modem to improve the speed. Please let me know if you notice any improvement. 

-Damian 

Highlighted
New Poster

Hello Damien,

Thank you for the response and remote look at the modem.  I am no longer at my mother's house and was unable to verify in person any changes in system performance.  I had mom run a quick speed test just for a "seat of the pants" check and download speed was down around 1.4MBPS.  I will have her run the three tests as performed initially to see how they compare.  Thank you and hope to post that in the next couple of days.

Roger

Highlighted
New Poster

Sorry for the delay... it has been a crazy work week.  I was able to have my mom run the tests in my absense and the results are found here:

The last test looked close to what one would expect but not consistent which may be aligned with the earlier suspicion of bandwidth and competing for space in the pipe.  

Please review and see if there are any other thoughts or if this is just a limitation of the system.

Thank you for your time.

Roger