Slow Download Speed Gen5 NW Washington

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thomnmarcy
Freshman

Slow Download Speed Gen5 NW Washington

We've had the service for approximately three weeks now and have not been able to stream videos (Netflix, HBO Go, Hulu, etc...) much at all.  There was one exception, 12/25, when were able to watch ONE video with only minimal buffering.

I've done the tests on the "HughesNet" site, at different times of the day and it averages in the 1-3 Mbps download speed. I went to testmynet, today, and verified, with a 25 MB download, it is significantly less than the advertised speed of 25 Mbps (it was 3 Mbps).  I fully understand that "advertised" and "actualized" are not the same but this is a huge difference.

I do not have the ability to connect to the modem directly (MacBook Air does not have a LAN connection point) so I cannot complete the troubleshooting steps per all of the criteria however, I'm pretty sure that since the speeds are staying pretty consistent, there must be something, I am doing or within the system, wrong.

Satellite:  19-NAD

Beam ID:  4

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.

33 REPLIES 33
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@imalexdude wrote:

The tech arrived and lined us back up with Jupiter 1 and the internet is screaming fast like it was before on Gen 4. We are talking an increase of 100 to 200X the speed we had before. Thank you to Liz and everyone who heard our cries for help and finnaly got this issue resolved.

Wow.  The following is the graph of all of your speed tests.  A bit of an uptick, I'd say.  🙂  

Capture.JPG

Hi Alex,

Thank you for letting us know how it's going now after the site visit. Glad to see you have normal speeds. Drop by the community if you have additional concerns, we're here to help.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

It would seem that there were to many people pointing to the same satellite and that needed to be remedied.  Thank you to @Liz ( @GabeU as well, for keeping this alive) for getting a service call arranged for us.  We were connected with a different satellite and it seems to have fixed most of the issues.  There are moments here and there and I'll have to wait until the current "period" ends to be able to test because I'm out of data, but here are the results showing the most recent tests...

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=01242018&x=27&l=25&q=thomnmarcy

Thank you for getting something done.  I'll reserve judgement until I'm back to a full months data availability and can run some tests but at first blush, things are definitely better.

@GabeU

Thank you for checking back in.  The issue is not resolved, by any means.  In fairness, there have been a couple of times where we've been able to watch some shows but in general, those are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Here are the results from tonight:

https://testmy.net/db/8wny3eNio

I've not regretted many decisions when it comes to services, over the years, but this is one I do.  When the salesman said, something to the effect of, streaming shows is approximately 1GB for about a 2 hour show, I thought our current plan (30GB) would be a reasonable place to start to figure things out.  Now approximately 6 days into the month and we are at 59% and haven't streamed a video once.  I know it isn't your fault, you're a volunteer (I presume) on a forum, but at this point my 56k modem and a phone line felt faster.  I'm really going to need to evaluate if there is any reason to not pay the penalty for cancelling and figure something else out rather than pay for substandard service over an extended period of time.

So thank you for checking back in, it is sincerely appreciated.

Good morning thomnmarcy,

Thank you for your patience while we worked to address your concerns. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page I'll send you a PM shortly to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

JA
Freshman

Instructions in thread above for submitting test results from TESTMY.net site to HUGES tech support read "To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns you should create a testmy.net account and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here." How do I share test results "here" with HUGHES? Do you mean for me to post them on this thread?

GabeU

@JA

While signed into testmy.net, click on "Results" on the upper right.  When on the Results page, copy the URL in the address bar and paste it into a reply your thread.  

It will look similar to this...  https://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972

Results.JPG

Results URL.JPG

When I clicked on the results link you posted, I see your average download speed is actually 13.1 mbs, not 32 as shown in the screen capture. Is that fast enough to watch a movie? 

Join the club....slow speeds, no support and broken promises. Lets see how long they can stretch the "we are working on it" excuse.

Notice how my post further down has no replies.....i guess i dont matter anymore

DM

I recently updated to the Gen 5 with Wi-Fi it’s terrible I spoke to them today which is January 2, 2018 told me I would probably need a booster or extender there’s cost 99 bucks one time fee.
GabeU

@DM

If you know that the problems you're having with WiFi is a range issue and a booster or extender would fix it it's good that you know the solution.  However, if you aren't sure it's a range problem and would like to troubleshoot it please start a new topic to do so.  You can do so by clicking on the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right while within the Tech Support section.  

partenr
Freshman

I, too, am in NW Washington. Have had the service for about 3 weeks and it has been a total fail starting with the installer. No speed, tech support hoop-jumpimg, for no real reason; it's ridicuous. There are 100's of posts everywhere about speeds being un-usable, and not ever, not even ONE post ever about it being fixed.

They delete my comments here if I point his out, so if you have read this, you are both lucky and unlucky - as you probably are stuck in this contract as I am. 

if you're a lucky duck to be on one of the crowded beams, the "fix" is that engineering is working on it...........