cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Downloads speeds all day long/download speeds are good all day long

Highlighted
Freshman

Slow Downloads speeds all day long/download speeds are good all day long

I am very frustrated with my download speeds (less than 1 meg).  This has been a problem for weeks and I just learned of this "community thing" yesterday.  Can't understand how my upload speeds can be higher than download.  Counterintuitive to every other service that I have used.  I have used Liz's recommendations for TMN.  They are similar to results with other speed tests that I have used including the one built in to the HughesNet site.  Here is the TMN link to my results: https://testmy.net/quickstats/suttnertoo   What's up with this product?  I am new to HughesNet (3 months) but this is not what I signed up for!

18 REPLIES 18
Freshman

Re: Slow Downloads speeds all day long/download speeds are good all day long

Sorry, should read upload speeds are good all day long.......

Sophomore

Yours looks better than mine. Here is my results:  Download :: 628 kbps 79 kB/s   Upload :: 2.1 Mbps 258 kB/s Unfortunately, this is looks alright after reaching the data cap. 
Distinguished Professor IV

@suttnertoo 

I'm sure that one of the reps will reply soon.  They're on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, though they're sometimes on during the evening, as of late.  It can take them a day or so for that reply.

Your download speeds are certainly very low.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Hello Donald,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this. After running diagnostics on the account, your HughesNet system is running properly, however, your speed results are indeed lower than what we are seeing remotely. I see you have an external router broadcasting its networks at the same frequencies as your HT2000W modem. This can sometimes cause severe interference, resulting in intermittent connectivity or very slow download speeds. Since there is already a router built into the HughesNet modem, I recommend disabling its radios if you must use your external router. If you would like to test the speeds accurately, please connect directly to the HT2000W modem via LAN cable, and run these test again. A speed test in the morning and evening would be preferred. If you are still receiving slow speeds after doing this, I will investigate the equipment deeper. 

-Damian 

Freshman

Thanks Damian.  I have disabled the wifi in your modem per Liz's earlier suggestion before running the test results that I have shared.  I do require the external router to get signal coverage here. The results that I have shared are also a result of direct connection to the modem via cat5e cable.  I will run a new test this evening and tomorrow morning to provide additional data and re-share those.

Don

Donald,

I appreciate your efforts and assistance with this. It does appear you successfully disabled the Guest networks for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks, however, the main networks are still active and broadcasting. I will be investigating this deeper over the next few hours and will have some updates for you tomorrow. Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

-Damian   

Distinguished Professor IV

@suttnertoo 

When you disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, make sure to click Save Settings after unchecking SSID Enable for each of the four radios individually.  So, uncheck SSID Enable for the 2.4Ghz network, then click Save Settings, then do the same for each of the other three networks, again individually.  This way, all four networks (2.4, 2.4 Guest, 5 and 5 Guest) should be disabled when finished.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

Damian,

Here are the latest test results:

https://testmy.net/quickstats/suttnertoo

A bit better in the early am but still not much.  FYI, I am currently operating with a new modem sent out by your tech guys already last week.

Don

Freshman

Oops, didn't seeyour previous two suggestions will work the wifi lead again!