Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Evening Speeds?

Distinguished Professor II

Re: Slow Evening Speeds?

MarkJFine wrote:

@maratsade

Just so you know, I was sold a fully-loaded Escape by a lovely saleswoman from the Midlands yesterday (Birmingham). To say her accent didn't massively help the decision to buy would be a tremendous lie.

That's where my mother was born.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Senior Instructor

When I first started following Division I on BBCWS, I was an Aston Villa fan. That was mainly because of the name and the fact that they were on all the time.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Sophomore

I had to use the analogy of money to try to explain to my folks what data meant, explaining to them that each and every thing they do on the net, whether it's reading email, going to a website, or even streaming, "costs" them a certain amount of data, and why some things "cost" more than others.  They still don't really understand what data is, but they at least now get how it's used.     

A lot of users don't care, their attitude is if an ISP offers the service for X price, I should be able to use all I want, mention caps and they blast back all the company cares about is shareholders not it's customers.

Very few users have any clue what so ever of the operating cost of a wireline network, nor less a satcomm based network.

We (AT&T) have soft caps on the wireless network (22 Gig) then speeds drop and hard caps on the wireline where if the cap is exceeded the subscriber is billed for another bucket of data.

Then there are the "I want FTTH" complainers who think we should fiber every nook and cranny so they can 6 live streams and **bleep** long and loud when they can only get 4, I try to explain to them the cost of FTTH and their common answer is "I would be willing to pay like $90 per month for unlimited gigabit service."

These folks don't live in a real world.     

Associate Professor

Hm....the Brit armed forces may find a tactical  use for the accent....

MarkJFine wrote:

@maratsade

Just so you know, I was sold a fully-loaded Escape by a lovely saleswoman from the Midlands yesterday (Birmingham). To say her accent didn't massively help the decision to buy would be a tremendous lie.

Associate Professor

Speaking of slow speeds....

4.2.png

Associate Professor

@BirdDog, what are your speeds like on Gen 4?  I don't rememeber what mine used to be, and I don't see those results on Testmy.

Senior Instructor

@maratsade

Sundays during NFL season are always traditionally bad for speed issues.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Assistant Professor

maratsade wrote:

@BirdDog, what are your speeds like on Gen 4?  I don't rememeber what mine used to be, and I don't see those results on Testmy.

Test just now:

q0PR82Wzs

My results page: http://testmy.net/quickstats/BirdDog2017

Up and down like most but have been satisfied. Can stream Netflix at night whe we want at low definition.

Associate Professor

@BirdDog, I wonder if that's what I got too -- if that's so, Gen 5 has not been a huge change (yet).  

I can stream just fine even at low speeds -- sometimes there's a bit of buffering and once or twice there's been a lot of pixelation, but in general streaming is not an issue. 

Associate Professor

@MarkJFine,  I can only test F-S-Sun in the evenings, and it's consistently low  (below 5 Mbps most times).  This may be the Bean 68 issue -- I'm looking forward to the update to see if it improves.  I can still stream fine -- loading pages becomes much slower but streaming so far works fine at low speeds (knock on wood)